• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting Order

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
If you had the chance, would you, as a selecter, change the batting or bowling order of the Australian cricket team? (e.g: Martyn for Lehmann or in bowling terms, Lee for Gillespie)

I don't think Martyn should be in the side anyway, he upsets the tempo.

Mr. P

Re: Re: Batting Order

Rik said:
And "only" averages 46 in Tests and 40 in ODIs...
He is however, very defensive at the start of his innings. Not so good after Gilchrist has gone for say, 50 off 45

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: Re: Re: Batting Order

gunk said:
He is however, very defensive at the start of his innings. Not so good after Gilchrist has gone for say, 50 off 45
Your forgetting that 50 off 45 is still not as good as 51 off 105. And anyway, Test matches are 5 days for a reason, IE they are not OD games...

Mr. P

Re: Re: Re: Re: Batting Order

Rik said:
Your forgetting that 50 off 45 is still not as good as 51 off 105. And anyway, Test matches are 5 days for a reason, IE they are not OD games...
This circumstance IS ODI and 50 off 45 in most ODI's would surpass 51 off 105 seeing as there are only 300 balls in total. Also, if it WERE test cricket, the situation would depend on the score. (e.g: going for quick declaration at 5/450)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i agree about martyn being hell boring form most of his innings, and he should definatley not be in the ODI team, but we need 1 deensive batsman atleast (preferably 2) in the side for stability, the other ones at the momentr is Martin love and steve waugh - though you can never tell how hes gonna play these days. the next baytsman inline is ofcourse another aggressive batsman in Clarke - so martyn will probably stay in the side.

Clarke should be in the ODI side infront of Martyn however as we dont have time to be wasting valuable balls while he waits for ages so he can late cut one for a single - very annoying, especially as we dont need him to stabalise the innings with such a long batting lineup and bevan lower down

Mr. P

Thanks age_master, my point exactly. Clarke in, Martyn out. If Martin Love ever makes the ODI team...

Eclipse

International Debutant
We should not complan to much about Martyn he scores much faster than Kallis and Dravid but no one complains as much about them.

He needs to be In the test team because he is our best batsman in the side technicaly witch is importaint.

People forget Martyn an was extremly aggresive batsman once and still has the shots if he really needs to use them.

He is still a bloody good player some teams would kill to have Martyn.

Cloete

International Captain
yeah i feel sorry for Martyn he is so under-rated. reemmebr what he did with ponting in the world cup final? you can hardly say that was slow scoreing. i mean people thinks he scores slow, but in actualy fact he doesn't. i would say he scores at atleast an s/r of 70 in ODI's. which is perfectly acceptable. it's prolly more likely to even be 75-80. he is a gr8 player but every1 under-rates him!!

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the aus 1d order should be pretty much as it is

1 Hayden
2 Gilchirst
3 Ponting
4 Lehmann
5 Clarke
6 Symonds
7 Martyn

Martyn at 7 cause he can come in either at the end of the innings with the score at 5/270 and hit a few (he can do it) or come in at 5/ 90 abd control the innings, the way Bevan DID. Symonds at 6 i like and maybe a bit higher in the right situation. Lehmann needs to do more batting in the 1d side. I think hes probably our best 1d batsman.

Mr. P

I agree with your order, bronco, except i would swap Clarke with Lehmann. Some people may argue that in Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting we already have three aggressive batsmen at the top of our order, but Clarke is an exciting prospect with a good defence (and attack) and can play defensive if he wishes. Lehmann can consolidate and be inventive at the end of the innings.
Also, with this:

broncoman said:
I think hes probably our best 1d batsman.

Lehmanns good, but you're forgetting Ponting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Current ODI career strike rates:

Martyn 78.10
Hayden 77.49
Ponting 77.43

And averages:

Martyn 41.88
Ponting 41.85
Hayden 41.44

Of players with 100 innings or more, only Gilchrist in the Australian line up has a better strike rate than "Boring" Martyn.

Mr. P

marc71178 said:
Of players with 100 innings or more, only Gilchrist in the Australian line up has a better strike rate than "Boring" Martyn.
He starts slow.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Batting Order

gunk said:
This circumstance IS ODI and 50 off 45 in most ODI's would surpass 51 off 105 seeing as there are only 300 balls in total. Also, if it WERE test cricket, the situation would depend on the score. (e.g: going for quick declaration at 5/450)
If you were talking about ODIs then it would have helped if you had mentioned it 1st...Anyway I've seen him score quickly enough when he needs to. A strike rate of 78 at about number 4 in The Australian team when it's his job to keep the score ticking over in the middle overs after Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting have smashed them everywhere is more than sufficiant. So is an average of 41.88

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
gunk said:
He starts slow.
50 off 50 balls is still 50 off 50 balls never mind if you score them all the way through your innings or you go mental at the end. Once he gets his eye in he goes for it, but he still ends up with a good strike rate despite starting slow as you say he does.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
gunk said:
He starts slow.
Which surely makes the fact he averages more at a quicker rate than some of the real names in the side even more of a reason to keep him in?

Bazza

International 12th Man
Slightly of topic but I've found the South African order perplexing at times in the Natwest series.

They have been throwing Boucher in at 5 and 6 and van Jaarsveld, who's often shown maturity in holding the innings together, has been coming in at 7 or 8. Sometimes it's good to be flexible, but I'd have thought as a general rule you would have players who can bat through the innings in the top 5 (especially if you lose wickets early), and hitters (Boucher, Pollock, Hall) coming in at the death - usually batting at 6-8.