• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batsmen Impact Per Series

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
For a while now I've been thinking about series impact as a decent measure of a cricketers worth.

- I have not counted one-off Tests as series (so included 2 or more)
- I have awarded different points ranging from 4 to -3 depending on how good/bad their series average was
- Just a minor thing, if a batsman remained not out for the series and scored a stack of runs (Kallis did this) they'd get the full rating for that series.

So I looked at the top 10 leading runscorers of all time:

SR TENDULKAR
RT PONTING
JH KALLIS
R DRAVID
AN COOK
KC SANGAKKARA
BC LARA
S CHANDERPAUL
DPMD JAYAWARDENE
AR BORDER

and from best to worst the scores were:

Can anyone guess the order based on batsmen impact per series?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar
Sangakkara
Kallis
Border
Lara
Dravid
Ponting
Chanderpaul
Jayawardene
Cook

Probably way off, though :p

vcs

Kallis
Sangakkara
Chanderpaul
Lara
Tendulkar
Ponting
Dravid
Jayawardene
Border
Cook

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Border
Kallis
Lara
Chanderpaul
Cook
Tendulkar
Ponting
Dravid
Sangakkara
Jayawardene

It sounds like the rankings reward consistency and being the lone gun in the side. Hence my ratings.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It sounds like the rankings reward consistency and being the lone gun in the side. Hence my ratings.
Nope, being a lone gun doesnt impact the ratings. CW has been spoiled by DoG, Pews, Viriya etc that my BIPS ranking is less detailed, but I think its interesting regardless.

NUFAN, it would be nice to calculate whose guess got closest to the actual order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendall_tau_distance

I wouldn't mind doing this.
Knock yourself out. ill name the order in 24-48 hours.

Bolo

State Captain
If you average 100 for a series you get 4 points I assume. Zero and you get minus 3, for one total. Average 50 in two series and you end up with more than 1, likely 4. Overall average counts as well, but not as much as consistency.

Border
Kallis
Cook
Tendulkar
Jayawardene
Ponting
Lara
Dravid
Sanga
Chanders

Starfighter

Tendulkar
Sangakkara
Lara
Chanderpaul
Ponting
Dravid
Kallis
Border
Cook
Jayawardene

(method: totally rubbish guessing)

trundler

I'm sure this was an Anantha article on Cricinfo. I remember reading something like series wise contribution at least. Bradman was obviously head and shoulders above the others. Cant be arsed to dig it up.

smash84

The Tiger King
For a while now I've been thinking about series impact as a decent measure of a cricketers worth.

- I have not counted one-off Tests as series (so included 2 or more)
- I have awarded different points ranging from 4 to -3 depending on how good/bad their series average was
- Just a minor thing, if a batsman remained not out for the series and scored a stack of runs (Kallis did this) they'd get the full rating for that series.

So I looked at the top 10 leading runscorers of all time:

SR TENDULKAR
RT PONTING
JH KALLIS
R DRAVID
AN COOK
KC SANGAKKARA
BC LARA
S CHANDERPAUL
DPMD JAYAWARDENE
AR BORDER

and from best to worst the scores were:

Can anyone guess the order based on batsmen impact per series?
I would go

Lara
Ponting
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Dravid
Border
Chanders
Jayawardene
AR BORDER

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Kallis
Ponting
Sanga
Lara
Tendulkar
Dravid
Chanderpaul
Border
Cook
Jayawardene

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
KC SANGAKKARA
JH KALLIS
AR BORDER
SR TENDULKAR
RT PONTING
BC LARA
S CHANDERPAUL
R DRAVID
DPMD JAYAWARDENE
AN COOK

I think Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Cokk and Dravid all suffer from having a bunch of terrible series towards the end of their careers. Will have averages towards the low end. Sanga, Kallis and Border all ended their careers without the sharp decline, so they probably end up higher up.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Really diverse rankings. Ill list it tonight. I was going to do the top 50 runscorers but does anyone want me to add anyone else (might be hard to know at this stage)

Spark

Global Moderator
Cribb should get on this pronto. (I would too but I'm lazy and I don't have access to data that he does)

Spark

Global Moderator
Really diverse rankings. Ill list it tonight. I was going to do the top 50 runscorers but does anyone want me to add anyone else (might be hard to know at this stage)
Everyone over 6k or 8k Test runs IMO.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So the top 10 leading runscorers are rated below:

2.2121 - SR TENDULKAR
2.0571 - BC LARA
1.9487 - AR BORDER
1.9286 - R DRAVID
1.9259 - KC SANGAKKARA
1.8983 - JH KALLIS
1.7193 - S CHANDERPAUL
1.7069 - DPMD JAYAWARDENE
1.6981 - RT PONTING
1.4681 - AN COOK

stephen

AB. LEGEND. Not as flashy is the others but he did what he did against the best of the best while carrying a nation on his shoulders.