• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bat technology

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A couple of weeks ago, I visited my folks and was happy to see that they had kept some kept some of my old cricket gear (n.b. old people hoard ****)

Amongst other things, I found a GN scoop, several Jumbos and a Symonds Super Tusker that I got from Imran Khan in return for the ****tiest bat that Stuart Surridge ever made

Anyway, today I was at Sporty's Warehouse on the GC with my son and wandered into their cricket section where they have an excellent selection of bats and the difference between today's stuff and my 20+ year old gear is massive

Little wonder that modern batsmen make grounds look small when there is twice as much wood in their bats

fredfertang

The last bat I owned was one of the early GN Scoops which weighed in at 2lbs 10ozs, although it was so nicely balanced it felt much lighter - it never did make up for a fundamental lack of talent though - what do bats weigh these days?

social

Off the rack one seem to be mostly around 2lb 9 - 10ozs

Back in the day, they were either light (<2lb 8ozs) or railway sleepers