• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baseball vs. Cricket

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Uhh, no. Steroids hardly play a role in that, even though several modern-day sluggers are probably on 'em.
Care to explain? For anabolic steroids not only aid the growth of muscle mass but they help maintain muscle mass. Mass which a normal athlete would find difficult to maintain on a MLB season.

adharcric

International Coach
Care to explain? For anabolic steroids not only aid the growth of muscle mass but they help maintain muscle mass. Mass which a normal athlete would find difficult to maintain on a MLB season.
You're suggesting that every baseball player takes steroids to make it through a season? These guys are supreme athletes and some of them take the roids to boost the power numbers (e.g., the man who plays for my home team ...).

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think that very few members of this forum are like me; I am a baseball fan that some years ago got some interest in cricket. I think that most of you are the opposite. I have watched hundreds of baseball games in my life, but now I have watched some cricket games, too. So, I think I have a decent knowledge of both sports. Both sports are great: both have their strenghts and their weaknesses.

About the original answer:
And, what can bit hit further? A baseball or a cricket ball?
1) Baseball bat is lighter and smaller. So, you can swing it with more easily.
2) Baseball swing is somehow more natural than a cricket swing.

So, if a baseball ball is perfectly hit, it can really fly. However, there is something which should not be forgotten: hitting a baseball ball with a baseball bat is very difficult. There is no flat surface, so it is a round bat vs a ball. That means that unless the ball is hit in the very right point, it does not go in the right direction.

Catcher is a very demanding position. Staying in that position for hours can cause lots of trouble to the knees. Then, catching fast balls is not an easy task, although the catcher might use a special glove (which is different from those used by the other fielders). Last but not least: catchers have to defend the home plate... So they have to avoid that runners score.. Very often there are collisions between the catcher and the runner...

Pitching is also very demanding. Starting pitchers (who should pitch for at least 5 innings, but if they are playing well can go even further) always have a 4-day rest after a game. Pitching after 3-day rest can be tough. Pitching a curveball is a very demanding task, even more than a fastball. At professional level, a starting pitcher could play every day (although that never happens). But youth and amateur players cannot do that. It is forbidden by the rule book, which FORCE them to have a 4-day rest between matches.

adharcric

International Coach
Matt Morris for a young hitter? Giants need some hitting, can't wait for Bonds to GTFO so that we can start rebuilding the offense.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
You're suggesting that every baseball player takes steroids to make it through a season? These guys are supreme athletes and some of them take the roids to boost the power numbers (e.g., the man who plays for my home team ...).
The 8-) ... presumably meant I was tongue-in-cheek but given how some college baseball ‘stars’ have supplemented their body with AAS for improving things such as running game I don't think it is all about personal numbers and averages but more about being conditioned enough to take the demands of a full season. In the case of Bonds and McGwire it alters.

adharcric

International Coach
Disagree. Improving your running game is still a part of enhancing performance rather than sustaining yourself throughout a season. Baseball players have been making it through 160-game seasons for decades now and it's because of their fitness.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree. Improving your running game is still a part of enhancing performance rather than sustaining yourself throughout a season. Baseball players have been making it through 160-game seasons for decades now and it's because of their fitness.
Yes they have but the raison d'etre is maintaining ones optimal level of performance, so there is a harmonious synch between hypothetically my 5th and my 136th game of the year, this hasn’t always been paramount.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Silent Striker, what did the Yankees ever do to you?

Anyway, there are some porkers that come into bat in baseball. However, do baseball coaches firstly look for someone who can sprint fast into base, or someone who can actually hit the ball? What is more important?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Silent Striker, what did the Yankees ever do to you?

Anyway, there are some porkers that come into bat in baseball. However, do baseball coaches firstly look for someone who can sprint fast into base, or someone who can actually hit the ball? What is more important?
I'd hazard a guess and say that a batter who can slog the ball out of the park is of more value to the team than a batter who can make the bases due to his pace.

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd hazard a guess and say that a batter who can slog the ball out of the park is of more value to the team than a batter who can make the bases due to his pace.

That is not true. Power is not everything in baseball. Hitting the ball out of the park does not happen very often. It is a perfect combination of a series of events.

A hitter who does not have much power BUT has a good batting average will always find a place in the team. Power hitters very often are struck out and they have lower batting averages, which is not that good for a team. Hitters, instead, who can have good batting averages, who know how to run the bases... They will always find a place in the team.

Of course, if you have good batting averages but you also have power... that is even better!!!

Lostman

State Captain
Phillies. Hate the Yankees and the Sox with a passion.
yankee haters:dry:

Been a yankee fan since i was 8yrs old. I usually go to about 10 games a year, but havnt had a chance to go to a single game this year since because ive been in Sri Lanka since May.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yankess just buy a championship. Sox also try to buy a championship but since they dont have the money Yankees do, they get on their high horse about Yankees overspending them, and ignore the fact that they themselves outspend every team but the yankees.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater

That is not true. Power is not everything in baseball. Hitting the ball out of the park does not happen very often. It is a perfect combination of a series of events.

A hitter who does not have much power BUT has a good batting average will always find a place in the team. Power hitters very often are struck out and they have lower batting averages, which is not that good for a team. Hitters, instead, who can have good batting averages, who know how to run the bases... They will always find a place in the team.

Of course, if you have good batting averages but you also have power... that is even better!!!
Gotta disagree with Perm. Teams usually have a combination of all types of hitters. If you're down by two runs or so you need people to get on base if you're a power hitter anyway.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Gotta disagree with Perm. Teams usually have a combination of all types of hitters. If you're down by two runs or so you need people to get on base if you're a power hitter anyway.
Right, it depends on the team make-up, the ballpark you're playing in, and your spot in the lineup. Like Cricket, baseball has set roles as well. Your first thee hitters are expected to get on base and have some speed, so generally are not power hitters. That doesn't mean they can't hit home runs, just that they tend to have higher batting averages and lower home run totals. The next three hitters are in the clean-up spot and are usually home run hitters. They are expected to drive in the runs, either through home runs or extra-base hits. The last 3 hitters are the weakest link in the lineup (of course some team's weakest links maybe better than another's clean-up) are just expected to get on base any which way they can.