• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh improving a lot?

cricman

International 12th Man
ICL cooling off period is totally up to the country, Bond got straight back into it.
were puppets to the BCCI .... still Nafees and Kapali made some comments that makes me not wanna see them play again.

Handing in Retirement papers to play in the ICL ... they deserve to be in the bottom of the pecking order.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
If we send a second string team over to play tests against Bangladesh, I'd be extremely worried. Remember the shock they gave a very decent Australian side last time they were there? Okay, the Gillespie 200 was daft in the second match, but if it hadn't have been for an awesome rescue job from Gilchrist and Lee/Gillespie in the first match Bangladesh would most likely have won it. Australia were 93/6 after Bangladesh had scored over 400 in the first innings.

1st Test: Bangladesh v Australia at Fatullah, Apr 9-13, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
Bangladesh have a lot of performances like that where you would say "oh they almost won that match" but thats about it...There is another match against South Africa where they skittled out SA for 170 odd runs and still went onto lose that match. Over the last 6-7 years, they have come close to winning test/ODI matches against Pakistan, England, Sri Lanka, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia etc yet have still failed to register that all important win. Point I am trying to make is, every time they come up with a performance like that, people think "oh they are improving" but then the next game they suffer another innings defeat. Thats not improvement. Honestly, I dont think Bangladesh cricket have gone forward since their test status.
Yes there is hope, they do have a couple of really good left arm spinners, Razzak, Enamul Haq and Shakib are really talented but its their batting which is absolutely sub standard. It might have something to do with the pitches, might have something to do with the quality of the first class cricket, or the overall psyche of Bangladeshi batsmen, but at the end of the day, the thing is they have not yet produced a genuine batsman who can be hailed as a consistent match winner. Ashraful came a tad close, but seems to have no intelligence, cricketing brain or temperament whatsoever to be a match winner.

Shakib is not so much a special talent, I do believe Bangladesh have produced more talented batsmen than Shakib, namely Ashraful, Nafis Iqbal, Aftab and Alok Kapali but the reason he is special is because unlike those 4, he actually performs on a consistent basis and seems to be a sensible batsman who sets a price to his wicket. Lets see how far he goes..I hope he does well...and that in turn inspires more young batsmen in the country!

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I think the 'no improvement whatsoever' tag is a bit undeserved. They took NZ close at home last year and they don't get completely blown away for ~ 120 in ODIs quite so much. No way would they have beaten that West Indies side eight years ago.

Sure, their away form (especially on pacy/bouncy pitches, where their lack of height is often shown up) is terrible, but India have hardly been a force overseas over their Test history. There's a long way to go, but I think the current crop (Shakib, Raqibul, Tamim, Mushfiqur, Mashrafe (providing he stays fit), Razzak) could form the basis of a much more solid side in the future.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
There's a long way to go, but I think the current crop (Shakib, Raqibul, Tamim, Mushfiqur, Mashrafe (providing he stays fit), Razzak) could form the basis of a much more solid side in the future.
That's what I mean. I think with those crop of players plus those coming back from the ICL and an U19 side with potential, it seriously is only a matter of time before they hit that so called "test" squad. What they seriously lack is a quality no. 3.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the 'no improvement whatsoever' tag is a bit undeserved. They took NZ close at home last year and they don't get completely blown away for ~ 120 in ODIs quite so much. No way would they have beaten that West Indies side eight years ago.

Sure, their away form (especially on pacy/bouncy pitches, where their lack of height is often shown up) is terrible, but India have hardly been a force overseas over their Test history. There's a long way to go, but I think the current crop (Shakib, Raqibul, Tamim, Mushfiqur, Mashrafe (providing he stays fit), Razzak) could form the basis of a much more solid side in the future.
That was my whole point...taking a team close is no longer good enough. They took Pakistan close in 2003, Australia close in 2006. They are still taking New Zealand close in 2008. Where is the improvement?

Bangladesh's bowling is really something to look forward to though...they have some superbly talented left arm spinners..and I thought Shahadat had tremendous potential too although was really disappointed to see him bowl at 75 mph against West Indies!

Athlai

Not Terrible
The only reason I reckon Bangladesh will become a good team is because of Shakib, reckon he'll go down as a great captain and stuff like this is why:
Batting frustrates Shakib Al Hasan | Cricket News | Bangladesh v Zimbabwe 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

This kind of attitude is why Shakib is performing like he is
Tamim has a pretty good attitude as well, have to remember how very young most of this team is. Razzak is also one of the top ODI spinners in the world IMO.

WestIndianMagic

Cricket Spectator
I think they are on the improve. They have a relatively young side full of potential and with the likes of Shakib Al Hasan, Tamim Iqbal & Mashrafe Mortaza leading the way for them they could be capable of an upset over the likes of Australia and India on their day.

Shakib is doing a good job as captain and he seems to have a good attitude and is setting good standards for the rest of the team. Inspirational player.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Most definitely improving and personally am very concerned that they'll win the ODI series when England tour.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was my whole point...taking a team close is no longer good enough. They took Pakistan close in 2003, Australia close in 2006. They are still taking New Zealand close in 2008. Where is the improvement?
I'm 100% in agreement with this. Praising Bangladesh for getting themselves into some reasonable positions is a little ridiculous and a lot patronising. It's not like there's been any one-wicket losses or heroic final-session saves from opposing batsmen. Having a team 89/6 isn't a sign of improvement at all.

If I were Bangladeshi I'd find a lot of these posts offensive. "Sure, they've lost 40 matches in a row, but they played quite well against New Zealand in one match last year before losing by three wickets!"

thierry henry

International Coach
"Tamim, named Man of the Match, felt the reverberations. "I'm really very disappointed that I could not satisfy my captain"

:naughty:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think they are on the improve. They have a relatively young side full of potential and with the likes of Shakib Al Hasan, Tamim Iqbal & Mashrafe Mortaza leading the way for them they could be capable of an upset over the likes of Australia and India on their day.

Shakib is doing a good job as captain and he seems to have a good attitude and is setting good standards for the rest of the team. Inspirational player.
Yep Shakib is a fantastic captain no doubt...his attitude, body language is very positive and I am glad he lambasted his batsmen after a win which is unusual because usually Bashar or Ashraful would be smiling from ear to ear after a win even if the batsmen played recklessly.
Shakib is smart enough to realize that they are only winning these matches because Zimbabwe are a pathetic side, not because the Bangladeshi batsmen are putting up a strong and better show. They have the potential to do so...but they are not doing it at the moment

Flem274*

123/5
Problem is their so called match winner in Ashraful (Shakib obviously awesome) is on par with Brendon McCullum. Actualy he's probably worse. If he was a wicketkeeper he'd be a useful number seven for a test class side, but number four/five? Hmmm.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm 100% in agreement with this. Praising Bangladesh for getting themselves into some reasonable positions is a little ridiculous and a lot patronising. It's not like there's been any one-wicket losses or heroic final-session saves from opposing batsmen. Having a team 89/6 isn't a sign of improvement at all.

If I were Bangladeshi I'd find a lot of these posts offensive. "Sure, they've lost 40 matches in a row, but they played quite well against New Zealand in one match last year before losing by three wickets!"
I think you might be looking a little bit too deeply into it. The question isn't "Are Bangladesh test standard?" or even "Should Bangladesh be happy with the amount of improvement they've shown in the last few years?" the question is whether they're improving however small the increments. And getting into a winning position, when you hadn't been able to do so previously is an improvement, although likely Bangladeshi fans won't see it as enough of an improvement.

When Bangladesh are so far behind the developed test nations, any comment about their results are going to sound a little patronizing if you look hard enough at it.

Uppercut

I think you might be looking a little bit too deeply into it. The question isn't "Are Bangladesh test standard?" or even "Should Bangladesh be happy with the amount of improvement they've shown in the last few years?" the question is whether they're improving however small the increments. And getting into a winning position, when you hadn't been able to do so previously is an improvement, although likely Bangladeshi fans won't see it as enough of an improvement.

When Bangladesh are so far behind the developed test nations, any comment about their results are going to sound a little patronizing if you look hard enough at it.
I don't think I am looking into it too deeply- I'm recognising the fact that losing a match from a winning position is no better than losing a match from day one, therefore there is no improvement. Ireland took England all the way in an ODI in August before falling just short (ironically, a great piece of fielding by Eoin Morgan cost them) but I'd hate for a horrendous ****ing choke like that was shown up as supposed evidence that we're improving. A failure to win from a position where you're massive favourites is, if anything, more convincing evidence that you're **** than a failure to win after being outplayed from ball one.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't think I am looking into it too deeply- I'm recognising the fact that losing a match from a winning position is no better than losing a match from day one, therefore there is no improvement. Ireland took England all the way in an ODI in August before falling just short (ironically, a great piece of fielding by Eoin Morgan cost them) but I'd hate for a horrendous ****ing choke like that was shown up as supposed evidence that we're improving. A failure to win from a position where you're massive favourites is, if anything, more convincing evidence that you're **** than a failure to win after being outplayed from ball one.
Disagree totally a match situation is totally different to another. So you can't judge a team by 'how much you lose' the current Bangladeshi team may not be winning Tests but it IS better than previous teams. Good enough to win Tests? Maybe not. But does that make it worse? No, as long as they are closer.

Uppercut

This is where I disagree. What determines how good a cricket team is? The ability to win (or, failing that, not lose) cricket matches. Coming (a little bit) close to winning matches before losing them is irrelevant.

Once two teams get to the very bottom of the scale- where a side literally can't win any matches and loses every time rain doesn't intervene- you have nothing to judge their relative ability to win cricket matches on. Therefore you can only conclude that they're both as utterly useless as each other.

Athlai

Not Terrible
This is where I disagree. What determines how good a cricket team is? The ability to win (or, failing that, not lose) cricket matches. Coming (a little bit) close to winning matches before losing them is irrelevant.

Once two teams get to the very bottom of the scale- where a side literally can't win any matches and loses every time rain doesn't intervene- you have nothing to judge their relative ability to win cricket matches on. Therefore you can only conclude that they're both as utterly useless as each other.
Neither mate, what determines how good they are is how good they look and how good they play. Does it matter that Bangladesh would have beaten New Zealand if not for Vettori's efforts? Not in my books. They remain a good team and at home they will be as challenging as the West Indies and New Zealand's of the world. Will they be world beaters? No. But does anyone expect them to be?

Uppercut

How good they look?! What a ridiculously bad measure of how good a team is.

Good teams are teams that win cricket matches. If you lose all of your cricket matches, you're so far down the ladder of crap that how good you are in comparison to the other teams in that cesspit can't possibly be determined. A team that continually gets into winning positions then throws them away is no better than one that just loses all the time from ball one.