• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ball bouncing too low on turf pitches

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This reminds me of the retired school teacher who goes around Australia locating and documenting forgotten pitches. Pretty cool though I think driving 14 hours to find a pitch must surely be his front to have some time away from the missus :ph34r:

Back in the day I had a lecturer for environmental law who drove about 300 miles to go and visit the site of a power station that was at the centre of an important case (which had happened about twenty years prior).

The power station itself was no longer there. It had long been demolished and converted into a car park. He knew this before setting off on his journey and went anyway.

I assumed it had to be a ruse of some sort.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Back in the day I had a lecturer for environmental law who drove about 300 miles to go and visit the site of a power station that was at the centre of an important case (which had happened about twenty years prior).

The power station itself was no longer there. It had long been demolished and converted into a car park. He knew this before setting off on his journey and went anyway.

I assumed it had to be a ruse of some sort.
Probably wanted better parking.

Aritro

International Regular
Prior to the advent of synthetic turf wickets (and turf wickets becoming wider spread) I remember playing on malthoid pitches. Those of a younger generation may not have heard of malthoid. It is a two-ply felt material impregnated with bitumen that was rolled onto a concrete base. I recall it was extremely helpful to bowlers as there was plenty of nasty bounce and the surface took grip for spinners. I recall on very hot days the bitumen in the surface would become quite tacky and the ball would become quite dark.
Following the demise of malthoid I can remember that pitches for a brief period were coated with Plexipave - a substance which was troweled on and, when dry, had the effect of sandpaper and the ball would be a mess within a few overs. Fortunately, synthetic turf replaced this dire surface.
Returning to malthoid, here is a picture from an excellent article (referenced below)

Never knew this existed. That looks disgusting and probably would do even when dry.

I imagine it would be hard for anyone to look their best when they've been impregnated with bitumen though.