• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Balanced Averages Budget draft - ODI edition

anil1405

International Captain
1. Herschelle Gibbs
2. Mohammad Hafeez 6
3. Steve Smith
4. Allan Border 7
5. Michael Hussey
6. Jos Buttler (wk)
7. Imran Khan (C)2
8. Chris Harris 4
9. Ravi Ashwin 5
10. Shoaib Akhtar 3
11. Glenn McGrath 1

Happy to have two able, proven and World Cup winning captains in the side. They've known to take teams from nowhere to world beating sides.

Particularly like the Hussey and Buttler combination in the middle order as I see Buttler as a modern day and more consistent version of Klusener.

Was surprised to know that Gibbs has 21 centuries to his name and a combined tally of 43 centuries for the top three is more than I had anticipated looking at the face value of those names.

McGrath + Imran + Shoaib is the heart of that team with able support to come from the reliable Harris. Spin stocks are not too shabby either right?

With Gibbs, Hussey and Harris that's a top class fielding unit which is much needed in ODIs.

Last edited:

anil1405

International Captain
Some of my fav cricketers/mostly 90s/players I loved to watch who missed out.

Nick Knight
Neil Johnson 5
Allan Lamb
Roger Twose 8
Russel Arnold 7
Brian McMillan (C) 6
Ian Smith (wk)
Rashid Khan 4
Fanie deVilliers 2
Morne Morkel 1
Charl Langeveldt 3

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tossed up between Lamb, Martyn, Lehmann and Twose for ages. Lamb actually got a spot in my CW ODI batsmen countdown exercise which none of the others did

Martyn got the nod for his '03 final performance

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year

Nick Knight
Neil Johnson 5
Allan Lamb
Roger Twose 8
Russel Arnold 7
Brian McMillan (C) 6
Ian Smith (wk)
Rashid Khan 4
Fanie deVilliers 2
Morne Morkel 1
Charl Langeveldt 3
Not a bad line-up ... and (by my quick calculations) 24 points under budget. McMillan would be your 5th bowler under WPM figures (ahead of Johnson) and Rashis has a better average than Smith with the bat. An interesting exercise. Well done.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Nick Knight
Neil Johnson 5
Allan Lamb
Roger Twose 8
Russel Arnold 7
Brian McMillan (C) 6
Ian Smith (wk)
Rashid Khan 4
Fanie deVilliers 2
Morne Morkel 1
Charl Langeveldt 3
Finch, Reiffel, Rahim are few more missing.

anil1405

International Captain
Finch, Reiffel, Rahim are few more missing.
Finch would provide that firepower upfront but didn't particularly enjoy watching him bat personally.
Fairbrother. He was a really good ODI player IMO.
Yeah, I realised later that I somehow managed to miss Fairbrother but on second thoughts I guess Arnold isn't too far behind Fairbrother and the former was a better fielder and would provide the second spin bowling option for the team.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Younis Khan

Brendon McCullum
Rohit Sharma
Younis Khan
Ross Taylor
MS Dhoni
Glenn Maxwell
Shaun Pollock
Graeme Swann
Darren Gough
Bishan Bedi
Jasprit Bumrah

OK maybe the 3 could be better but apart from that the batting has everything you could possibly want and there are 5 proper frontline bowlers.

Teuton

International Captain
Please post your final xis if you haven't already done so. I am aiming to do the voting thread on Monday.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Gordon Greenidge
Romesh Kaluwitharana (wk)
Mohammad Azharuddin
Viv Richards (c) (6)
Mahela Jayawardene
Arjuna Ranatunga (7)
Chris Cairns (3)
Malcolm Marshall (1)
Abdul Qadir (4)
Michael Holding (2)
Muttiah Muralitharan (5)

Pretty happy with my side. A top-quality spinner in Qadir coupled with perhaps the best ODI spinner ever in Muralitharan. Gives us a big wicket-taking threat in the middle overs. Holding and Marshall a very good new-ball pair ably assisted by Chris Cairns. Viv Richards and Arjuna Ranatunga give us (options to fill in the overs if any of front line 5 do not fire - edited)

Perhaps lacks as many star batsman but Ranatunga at 6 and Cairns at 7 ensures the good work from Viv shouldn't fizzle out, Kaluwitharana should get us off to quick starts and Greenidge, Azharuddin and Jayawardene should have enough between them to get us to at least par totals

Last edited:

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Matthew Hayden
Nathan Astle (7)
Babar Azam
Javed Miandad (*)
Jacques Kallis (4)
Kapil Dev (2)
Alan Knott (+)
Roger Harper (5)
Akram Raza (6)