• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Back Draft

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
01 G. BOYCOTT
02 G. GREENIDGE
03 B. LARA
04 J. MIANDAD
05 J. KALLIS
06 R. JADEJA
07 A. KNOTT
08 K. DEV
09 A. BEDSER
10 B. BEDI
11. G. MCGRATH

I quite like this team. The bowling unit seems an interesting group and while Jadeja might look like he is batting high, with Knott and Dev behind him, Im happy enough with it.

I did want Ashwin over Bedi. I thought about Gillespie over Bedser, but realistically that was only for the McGrath Gillespie known partnership and Bedser is objectively a better bowler than Dizzy.

I also thought about Haynes-Greenidge opening partnership but for similar reasons I just went who I thought was the best opener available in Boycott.

If I had my time over I would have went for the best end M name like Murali and spent ages in the M and L range.

ataraxia

International Coach
1. Hanif Mohammad
2. Farokh Engineer +
3. Vivian Richards
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Virat Kohli*
6. Martin Crowe
7. Chris Cairns - 5
8. Shaun Pollock - 1
9. Shane Warne - 4
10. Harold Larwood - 2
11. Muttiah Muralitharan - 3
Really happy with my team. The spinners and the middle order are the strengths and the others aren't that bad. Hanif and Engineer both were key players in below-par sides so they can put up a defensive sort of fight to guard the batting to come. The pace bowling is pretty well rounded, with a line-and-length bowler, a express pacer, and a shock bowler, all on the fringes of their respective country's teams. I reckon this side can 99 times out of 100 make it to late on the fourth day, when Warne and Mura can do their thing. Very happy for my first draft.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Imagine keeping to Warne and Murali in tandem and then having to open the batting. Your team on paper is very good, but thats an issue.

ataraxia

International Coach
He did keep to Bedi, Gupte, Chandra, Prasanna, and Venkat however. Sure he could adapt. If it's a problem then S. Pollock can open the batting.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Exactly. But one is opening and the other is a good number 8.

Under 20 in the 4th innings is woeful but at least you have good batsman following.

ataraxia

International Coach
The thing is, Engineer opened for pretty much his whole career. Maybe I should have picked a different opener but maybe not. Even if he does complain (which I doubt), Viv averages almost 70 there (in 4 innings). I haven't found anything about him struggling opening and keeping.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You think under 20 in the 4th dig, never reaching 46 is acceptable? Perhaps now youve found something to show he struggled opening after keeping.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Colin Cowdrey
David Boon
Rahul Dravid
Steve Smith
Zaheer Abbas
Garry Sobers
Quinton de Kock +
Richard Hadlee
Alan Davidson
Clarrie Grimmett
Joel Garner

Missing Boycott by one pick probably hurt me a bit, but a good side. Plenty of stability in the top order, Boon and Cowdrey both exceptional players of pace. Dravid and Smith at 3 and 4 will be a nightmare if they build a partnership. Abbas adds class and free flow scoring, and then Sobers is the batting lynchpin. DeKock, Hadlee and Davidson can all bat very well, so we won't be easily bowled out.

Have a diverse and excellent bowling attack. The four front liners are all renowned misers who can take wickets. The all round genius of Hadlee, the left arm swing and economy of Davo, and the height, accuracy and threat of Garner would combine to make scoring incredibly difficult. Grimmett is cut from the same cloth and takes almost 6 wickets per test. Sobers to provide the relief and chip in with wickets.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Colin Bland

Battlers
1. Jack Hobbs
2. Alastair Cook
3. Wally Hammond (5)
4. Michael Clarke (c)
5. AB De Villiers
6. Colin Bland
7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
8. Malcolm Marshall (1)
9. Pat Cummins (3)
10. Bill O’Reilly (4)
11. Allan Donald (2)

Pretty happy with the strength of my bowling attack. Donald & Mako with the new ball is pretty formidable and Patty first drop is going to not release pressure at all. O’Reilly was the Don’s favourite bowler so happy with the attack.

Batting wise openers down to seven all have excellent records and have the ability to post high totals.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I feel like an underrated aspect of your team TBP is fielding. Quality run savers and safe pairs of hands.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Godfrey Evans

Bill Ponsford
Victor Trumper
Younis Khan
Everton Weekes
Steve Waugh 5 *
Herbie Taylor
Godfrey Evans +
Frank Tyson 1
Johnny Wardle 4
Bob Willis 3
Courtney Walsh 2

Nice therapeutic draft for me. Didn't have to really compete with any other drafters. This side ain't winning but it's not bad

ataraxia

International Coach
Think that it would've been better with Underwood for Wardle but it's a nice selection of players. Don't really like Evans at 7 either.