• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Averaging 50 with the ball gets you in the World XI?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
age_master said:
not to mention thats hes a very handy batsman
I'd say that had a fair bit to do with it, with the selectors maybe viewing taking an underprepared Tendulkar, and Flintoff - who on batting alone doesn't deserve to be in the World XI - as opening themselves up a bit with the batting if Australia are on song with the ball.

However unlikely that seems looking at the current series ;)

shaka

International Regular
His strength is shown when he plays the Aussies, and that is what should be required in the upcoming series.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you'll find that with good bowlers around him, Vettori could actually turn out to be a star performer in this series.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Still, there must be a few that are annoyed a couple of Indian players didn't get the nod over Vettori.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am pretty sure I would take Kumble over Vettori any day of the week as a spinner, under any conditions, against any opposition.

greg

International Debutant
Lets face it, if success against Australia on australian pitches were a criteria then Michael Vaughan would be a shoe-in.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Thierry you obviously haven't seen Daniel Vettori bowl against Australia. During the series in New Zealand he was literally the only Kiwi bowler to gain any sort of respect from the Australians - he conceeding around 30 runs per ten overs and also picked up a number of wickets. His recent form against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe (the only other teams he has faced for months) was superb. His batting has come along brilliantly and with that extra batting down the order I think his selection was justified.

Deja moo

International Captain
Somerset said:
Thierry you obviously haven't seen Daniel Vettori bowl against Australia. During the series in New Zealand he was literally the only Kiwi bowler to gain any sort of respect from the Australians - he conceeding around 30 runs per ten overs and also picked up a number of wickets. His recent form against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe (the only other teams he has faced for months) was superb. His batting has come along brilliantly and with that extra batting down the order I think his selection was justified.
Then why arent Vaughan and Laxman and Kumble in the team if performance against Australia matters so much ?

shaka

International Regular
For Vaughan I am guessing you were only thinking about his 150 he made in the last test. What did he do for the other part of the ODI and test series?

Deja moo

International Captain
shaka said:
For Vaughan I am guessing you were only thinking about his 150 he made in the last test. What did he do for the other part of the ODI and test series?
I'm talking only tests for the three. Vaughan has done well this series too.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Deja moo said:
Then why arent Vaughan and Laxman and Kumble in the team if performance against Australia matters so much ?
To be fair, if he'd received any support from any of the other NZ bowlers the Australians wouldn't have been so incredibly defensive against Vettori and I think he'd have been much more successful than he was.

It's probably just to have a token New Zealander in the squad though.