• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's World Cup Team + WHERE'S CLINT MCKAY

Shakib

Cricket Spectator
I think this should be the final 15 for Australia's WC team:

1. Warner (given)
2. Finch (given)
3. Watson (given)
4. Clarke (given) (C)
5. Bailey (given) (VC)
6. Maxwell (given)
7. Haddin (given) (wk)
8. Faulkner - brilliant finisher with bat, can adapt to situation, competitive, decent bowler with good slower ball
9. Johnson (given)
10. Starc - has odne very well in limited overs cricket for AUS, can swing the ball at pace early on
11. McKay - MUST BE PICKED, DONT KNOW WHY SELECTORS ARE IGNORING HIM, been their most consistent bowler.

12. Lyon (No point playing a spinner in Aus conditions, ball is hardly going to turn, they can always turn to Maxwell/Clarke too, if needed can come in for Starc)- I do not rate Doherty at all, he has been futile for Aus, average > 35, too mediocre, while Boyce had a poor Matador cup and has horrible One-day domestic peformances averaging 60+
13. White (Has been in unbelievable form over last couple of years in all formats domestic cricket, another brilliant Matador Cup, good form in t20s v SA, leadership qualities, and a ton of experience makes him a MUST, his versatility suggests he should be first man in if someone's out of form/injured)
14. S. Smith (very talented batsman but hasn't had much ODI experience yet, hard to fit him in, bowling still too erratic)
15. Cummins (good fast bowler, hits the deck hard, looked really good in t20s v SA)

Others: Coulter-Nile (Brilliant matador cup, bowled well at the death, fast, some odis already under his belt), S. Marsh (needs more game time), M. Marsh (OVERRATED), Hartley over Wade (underrated wicketkeeper plenty fo expeirence for QLD and leaderhsip abilities, in great form now)

AND WHY IS MCKAY MISSING IN ACTION??? HE HAS BEEN ARGUABLY AUS BEST ODI BOWLER OVER PAST COUPLE OF YEARS, NOT FAST BUT VERY CONSISTENT AND PROLIFIC WICKET TAKER, VERY UNDERRATED, WHY IS HE BEING DISREGARDED SO CLOSE TO THE WORLD CUP????

Last edited:

Shakib

Cricket Spectator
SL

1. Dilshan
2. K. Perera
3. Sangakkara (wk)
4. Jayawardene
5. Mathews (c)
6. Thirimanne (vc)
7. Priyanjan
8. T. Perera
9. Kulasekara
10. Herath
11. Malinga

12. Prasad
13. Eranga
14. Chandimal
15. Tharanga

Last edited:

Shakib

Cricket Spectator
INDIA

1. Rohit Sharma
2. Dhawan
3. Kohli (vc)
4. Rayudu
5. Raina
6. Dhoni (c)(wk)
7. Jadeja
8. Ashwin
9. B. Kumar
10. Shami
11. Yadav

12. Aaron
13. I. Sharma
14. A. Patel
15. Rahane

Last edited:

Shakib

Cricket Spectator
SA

1. De Kock
2. Amla
3. Du Plessis
4. De Villiers (c)(wk)
5. Duminy
6. Miller
7. McLaren
8. Philander
9. Steyn
10. Morkel
11. Tahir

12. Wiese
13. Abbott
14. De Lange
15. Roussow

Shakib

Cricket Spectator
ENG

1. Cook (c)
2. Hales
3. Bell
4. Root
5. Morgan
6. Moeen Ali
7. Buttler (wk)
8. Broad
9. Jordan
10. Gurney
11. Anderson

12. Tredwell
13. Ballance
14. Bopara
15. Finn

Shakib

Cricket Spectator
BANG

1. Tamim
2. Shamsur
3. Anamul
4. Mominul
5. Mushfiqur (c)
6. Me
7. Nasir Hossain
8. Mahmudullah
9. Mortaza
10. Al-Amin
11. Taskin

Last edited:

Shakib

Cricket Spectator
McKay, simply put, is not very good.
ill-founded statement mate, just because he's not that quick, he's ugly, he's not as strong or fiesty as the others, he's picked 97 wickets from 59 games @ 24.97.... not to mention ab meddalist

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Harsh.

Think he's lost a bit of zip over the past 12 months though. A guy who probably wasn't made out for the twelve month a year international season; often had his best years after doing a massive pre-season in Australia.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's weird that this forum finally got what we wanted, the downfall of clint mckay, and we barely even acknowledged it until now

Shakib

Cricket Spectator
mate don't look at stats alone, warner screwed up in odis for a long time at start of his career, he's a new player, and finch has matured too, dynamite combo. if they screw up then cam white, or shaun marsh or both come in for me

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, for me Finch might be in the squad to bully some minnows, but he really shouldn't be opening in a full strength side IMO. Especially when he's keeping TPC out of that #3 role.

As for the other squads Shakib has suggested, for RSA I suspect they'd go for Parnell ahead of Wiese (even considering I really don't rate Parnell). I'd rather Rahane open for India than any other option, Thisara can't be relied upon to bowl 10 overs a game for SL -- he's definitely a #7, not a #8. England simply have to play Tredwell -- pitched be damned, he's better than Jordan or Gurney (also Finn in the starting XI and Stokes in the squad pls).

I think Bangladesh would be wasting Shakib at 6, tbh. I get the appeal of picking three openers, but Marmadoola at 8 leaves the team a bit bowling-light, imo. Also Al-Amin probably won't be able to bowl by that point, so yeah. Can't say I'm on top of my Bangladeshi cricket, but Razzak would still have to be in the frame, surely?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
mate don't look at stats alone, warner screwed up in odis for a long time at start of his career, he's a new player, and finch has matured too, dynamite combo. if they screw up then cam white, or shaun marsh or both come in for me
:laugh:

I don't think Spikey's dislike of Arun Finch comes from pure stats.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
For comparison:

Team One:

1. Warner
  2. Finch
  3. Watson (6)
  4. Clarke *
  5. Bailey
  6. Maxwell/Marsh (5)
  7. Haddin +
  8. Faulkner (3)
  9. Johnson (1)
  10. Starc (2)
  11. Lyon/Quick of Choice (4)
Team Two:

1. Warner
  2. Watson (6)
  3. Smith (7)
  4. Clarke *
  5. Bailey
  6. Maxwell/Marsh (5)
  7. Haddin +
  8. Faulkner (3)
  9. Johnson (1)
  10. Starc (2)
  11. Lyon/Quick of Choice (4)

Yeah, Team 2 every time imo. Much better balance.

Spikey

:laugh:

I don't think Spikey's dislike of Arun Finch comes from pure stats.
Tbf I'd probably pick Arun Finch over David Warner as it stands. Regardless, I wouldn't pick either over Smith/White

Spikey

hey come to think of it

watson
white
smith
clarke
bailey
marsh/maxwell
haddin
mj
starc probably
harris hopefully
some spinner

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Anyone else prepared to run with the idea that there's a coincidence between Lyon playing ODI cricket and bowling poorly in Tests?

Shakib

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, for me Finch might be in the squad to bully some minnows, but he really shouldn't be opening in a full strength side IMO. Especially when he's keeping TPC out of that #3 role.

As for the other squads Shakib has suggested, for RSA I suspect they'd go for Parnell ahead of Wiese (even considering I really don't rate Parnell). I'd rather Rahane open for India than any other option, Thisara can't be relied upon to bowl 10 overs a game for SL -- he's definitely a #7, not a #8. England simply have to play Tredwell -- pitched be damned, he's better than Jordan or Gurney (also Finn in the starting XI and Stokes in the squad pls).

I think Bangladesh would be wasting Shakib at 6, tbh. I get the appeal of picking three openers, but Marmadoola at 8 leaves the team a bit bowling-light, imo. Also Al-Amin probably won't be able to bowl by that point, so yeah. Can't say I'm on top of my Bangladeshi cricket, but Razzak would still have to be in the frame, surely?
Thanks for your thoughts. Who's TPC?

I agree, I know they will go with Parnell, I think he's completely OVERRATED.

While I like Rahane opening too, R Sharma has done well with Dhawan, can't really change that combo, if Sharma doesn't come back into form I'd like to see Rahane at top and Uthappa come in, provided he makes runs now

Perera was in great form bowling and batting in Pak ODIs, I think they need more meat in their batting as their middle order past Mathews can collapse...He has also bowled well in Aus conditions before in ODIs

I think Jordan has done pretty well generally in ODIs, I like Finn too personally, Gurney provides variety with left-arm and variations, Tredwell has been hammered in AUS before. Stokes COMPLETELY OVERRATED, ranga still being picked due to his Perth test century, same with Woakes.

I rate Razzak too but he's lost form. I agree, Shakib should come earlier, but I think Mominul and Anamul are good, I was thinking the same in terms of tight bowling options but they actually have no other fast bowlers or spinners left. They get 30 out of the 3 quicks, 10 from Shakib, 10 from Mahmudullah/Nasir/Mominul. But yeh I guess Shamsur should go and a bowler should come in.