• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's tactics against India

Jumno

U19 Captain
This was during

The series in India which Australia won in 2004.

We seen India batting first, however Australia opted for a defensive field in the tests, pace bowlers opening the bowling, only one slip, 4 players on the legside, there was some bowled, lbw's,

What was the reason for this tactic? You can see the field set and its defensive, was the tactic was just to starve the Indian batsman for runs? What about extra slips for wickets?

What was this tactic for?

sunilz

International Regular
This was during

The series in India which Australia won in 2004.

We seen India batting first, however Australia opted for a defensive field in the tests, pace bowlers opening the bowling, only one slip, 4 players on the legside, there was some bowled, lbw's,

What was the reason for this tactic? You can see the field set and its defensive, was the tactic was just to starve the Indian batsman for runs? What about extra slips for wickets?

What was this tactic for?
Australian players believed Indian team was not that physically fit. So they cut off the boundaries and challenged Indian team to score in singles, doubles

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Tbh, I think that strategy has been followed by many teams since. India have just grown more patient and have obtained better batting fitness. And you can't repress Sehwag with any field.

Jumno

U19 Captain
Then how would they have got wickets? Playing too aggressively to make false shot to get wickets was also their tactic? They knew they had to get 10 wickets, mainly 7 batsman.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Then how would they have got wickets? Playing too aggressively to make false shot to get wickets was also their tactic? They knew they had to get 10 wickets, mainly 7 batsman.
LBW, bowled, caught behind the wicket off a 4th stump line. Its not like they went with any leg theory like INdia. They just cut off the boundaries and had catching short midwicket instead of 3rd slip.

Spark

Global Moderator
Tbh, I think that strategy has been followed by many teams since. India have just grown more patient and have obtained better batting fitness. And you can't repress Sehwag with any field.
Yeah Michael Vaughan famously employed the very same tactic the very next year against Australia to great success, though in that case it wasn't lack of fitness that was being exploited but lack of discipline when easy boundary options were cut off.

Jumno

U19 Captain
Yeah Michael Vaughan famously employed the very same tactic the very next year against Australia to great success, though in that case it wasn't lack of fitness that was being exploited but lack of discipline when easy boundary options were cut off.
I watched the 05 series, in what test was this employed by Vaughan? It seemed like 3 slips and a gully when Flintoff, Jones, Harminson was bowling.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I watched the 05 series, in what test was this employed by Vaughan? It seemed like 3 slips and a gully when Flintoff, Jones, Harminson was bowling.
I remember him doing it to Clarke in the first Test, bowling wide of off with the field packed and it eventually lead to his dismissal flashing at a wide one.

Vaughan also employed a deep point for nearly the whole series from the start each innings, cutting off a lot of boundaries. IIRC after the 2005 Ashes this tactic caught on in Tests and it was rarely used regularly before then.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I remember him doing it to Clarke in the first Test, bowling wide of off with the field packed and it eventually lead to his dismissal flashing at a wide one.

Vaughan also employed a deep point for nearly the whole series from the start each innings, cutting off a lot of boundaries. IIRC after the 2005 Ashes this tactic caught on in Tests and it was rarely used regularly before then.
Its not about where the catchers were. That obviously depends on the pitch and conditions. Think @Spark was referring to the habit of having deep point and deep square leg to cut off the boundary shots for the Aussies. Which is what Australia did to us in 2004.

TheJediBrah

Its not about where the catchers were. That obviously depends on the pitch and conditions. Think @Spark was referring to the habit of having deep point and deep square leg to cut off the boundary shots for the Aussies. Which is what Australia did to us in 2004.
That's exactly what I said

Burgey

It won them the Edgbaston test. That and Murray Mints

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Currently listening predominantly to Metallica and Black Sabbath but always happy to play Oasis

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
Nothing wrong with Australia's tactics, Pujara wearing down the bowlers game after game was a huge factor. Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc didn't look as lethal as they generally are on the last day of the Brisbane Test. And even on the last day, Pujara blunted any sting that was left in their bowling. Perhaps rotating the bowlers might have helped?
It helps to read the actual first post so as not to look like a jackass.