• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's spinner for India vs Aus?

Spinner much?

• Cullen Bailey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daniel Cullen

• Nathan Hauritz

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I know polls are popping up everywhere. But I would love to know people's thoughts on this in a single thread, especially now after the Sri Lankan series.

Pretty big question aswell IMO.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hogg. Give him a couple of tests to see whether his recent ODI/FC form translates to Tests, and if it doesn't, give Hilfenhaus or Tait a go for the last two tests and let Clarke do any spinning that's required.

iamdavid

International Debutant
MacGill actually bowled alright the first 3 innings of the series, seemed to be improving with every over. Then there was the rather unfortunate 2nd innings in Hobart...

I still think he'll hold the spot provided he spends some serious time in the gym and on the rehab bench over the next month, he just clearly isnt 100% fit atm and it didnt just effect his bowling, he looked unusually poor (even by his standards) in the field.

If he were to not be picked for the Boxing day test then pick Hogg, if not Hogg then Bryce McGain, if not McGain then Aaron Heal, if not Heal then dont play a spinner.

sideshowtim

Banned
No spinner thanks.

Quite simply, our spin stocks are meek, and India would have a field day with what we currently have. So my thoughts are, why include a spinner when he's likely to get smacked? You're only playing to India's strengths. Play 4 quicks (The three we had v Lanka + either Tait of Hilfy), prepare fast bowler friendly tracks and we'll do fine...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If a spinner is to be picked, I still think it has to be MacGill. I can't see Hogg or any of the others troubling the Indians in test cricket even at their best. MacGill is in horrible form but if he manages to find something, he has the ability to actually do something.

Given his form though, I'd have to play four quicks. This could obviously change if he takes a few for NSW between now and then.

I also think McGain should be on the poll if Hauritz, White, Bailey and Heal are there. If I had to pick a spinner and I wasn't allowed MacGill, I'd actually pick McGain.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I support India, so Cameron White. Seriously though, if MacGill is still bowling crap in a month when the first Test begins, I wouldn't go with a spinner at all.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Doesn't it seem wierd that the Australians picked an unfit player? i always had the impression that they picked players who were only 100% fit.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Took the slighty soft option of selecting the guy based on his record, ignoring his recent form and fitness. Loyalty and respect for proven performances is one thing, but MacGill has clearly been a fair distance from his best for sometime.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Took the slighty soft option of selecting the guy based on his record, ignoring his recent form and fitness. Loyalty and respect for proven performances is one thing, but MacGill has clearly been a fair distance from his best for sometime.
Thats true, but doesn't it still end up as being MacGill> other Aus. spinners?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well, there aren't any other spinners who are demanding a spot. They're either all green, or otherwise have distinctly average FC/Test records.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
As an Indian, I hope they go in with a two spinner combo. Barring that, I'll take Stuey please.

He averages 50.78 against India, and he is worse now than he was then! Can't wait for that tbh.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Probably MaGill by default (although I don't think Sachin and co will have sleepless nights). The facsinating thing is that Mark Taylor (I think) once said when he was captain Australia would always play a spinner (easy to say when you had Warne). IMO if Magil's bowling has not improved by the time they get to Perth, will the Aussies do what they sometimes did at the WACA in pre Warne days, and play four pace bowlers?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Doesn't matter who you pick, we're just gonna carve him up. So advice, pick someone who either a) can handle the torture or b) is not very important for the future of Australian cricket and doesn't matter if his career is over afterwards cuz' he'll be so emotionally scarred.

:p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
MacGill at least for the first test. If he is ineffective at the MCG bring it Tait & hit the Indians with some pace.