• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's opening batsmen

Do you want Hughes in the Test team?

• Total voters

Jakester1288

International Regular
With Hughes recent success in the Test against New Zealand, are you in favour of him opening with either Katich or Watson, with the other slipping down the order, or keeping the winning combination?

Seeing as a lot of people have recently been wanting North dropped after his poor Australian summer, the possibility is for Watson or Katich or slip down to 6 or something in the middle order with Hughes opening. While North has been in the runs against New Zealand, if he has a slip up again, would you want Hughes back?

Bloody Hell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Look at what the team will be like in 2-4 years time.

Most pundits have something like (ok... I put White in) -

Watson
Hughes
Khawaja
Clarke
White/North/Ponting (if he's still alive)
Smith

There's lots of positions up for grabs. Hughes is going to have to wait for Katich to retire.

If Hauritz goes down, or a middle order spot opens up you'd think Smith would be in first.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bit hard to answer the question as phrased. I would have Katich and Watson ahead of Hughes. North has earnt a reprieve for now, but if this revival isn't continued, or a vacancy opens up in the middle order some other way, then maybe. I think Watson belongs in the top three, Katich in the top four. Unless Punter opts for a demotion down the order, kinda hard to see where to fit in Hughes for now - I wouldn't be adverse to trying him out at 6 tbh. Let him find his feet and become comfortable in Tests without having to face a fired up opening bowler with a new cherry from ball 1, with the long term plan being to groom him for the opener's slot when it becomes available.

None of the other contenders are really doing much at the moment, besides Smith.

EDIT: And Cam White :wub:

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
Look at what the team will be like in 2-4 years time.

Most pundits have something like (ok... I put White in) -

Watson
Hughes
Khawaja
Clarke
White/North/Ponting (if he's still alive)
Smith

There's lots of positions up for grabs. Hughes is going to have to wait for Katich to retire.

If Hauritz goes down, or a middle order spot opens up you'd think Smith would be in first.
Would like to see C Ferg in there ahead of white/north i think

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Would like to see C Ferg in there ahead of white/north i think
If you think Hughes was found out by the short ball then Ferguson won't last long. That knee injury will ruin Ferguson's career, much like it did for Matthew Elliot. We've got plenty of batsman averaging 50+ in first class cricket, why select someone who averages mid 30's?

Jakester1288

International Regular
If you think Hughes was found out by the short ball then Ferguson won't last long. That knee injury will ruin Ferguson's career, much like it did for Matthew Elliot. We've got plenty of batsman averaging 50+ in first class cricket, why select someone who averages mid 30's?
I'm really hoping the injury doesn't hold him back in the future.

I have no doubt if he gets back to full fitness and ability his First Class average will climb over 40, and he will probably rack up a few Tests at times.

Riggins

International Captain
There are better options out there though.
such as?

I don't think you can look at his whole career and base it off that, especially for someone who started so young in a **** fc team, and is rapidly improving. His last fc year was excelent. His ODD domestic average is only 34, but averages ~46 in ODI's, so surely that says enough.

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Khawaja, Smith, Hughes...

He started out playing with Lehnmann, Blewett, Gillespie, Elliot, Cosgrove, Manou, etc.