• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Australia's most talented athletes are wasted in a code that the world ignores."

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Let's see. What sports do Australians play?

AFL - played almost entirely in 1 country.
Rugby league - played almost entirely in 4 countries.
Rugby union - played almost entirely in 10 countries.
Cricket - played almost entirely in 10 countries.
Soccer - played in Australia by those not good enough to play soccer in Europe.

So what was the point of the article???
1 city in NZ, 2 counties in England and 2 states in Aus. Who is the 4th country?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
France have a side. Gets thumped most games but they play to a better level than the other complete minnows in the "Rugby League World Cup".
France and currently ranked below Papua New Guinea and Fiji, and recently lost the European Cup to Wales. They have a team in the ESL which the strongest club competition in the northern hemisphere but it's there to promote the game rather than as a reflection of the interest there and contains a pretty small percentage of French-born players.

I reckon he's probably talking about Papua New Guinea when he says four countries - yeah it's a small and relatively poor country but it's the only country which advertises rugby league as its national sport. They lap it over there and the NRL players are all A-list celebrities.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I doubt Tim ****ing Smith is an A-list celebrity in PNG.

But yeah I think Juro was referring to the Kumuls.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
France and currently ranked below Papua New Guinea and Fiji, and recently lost the European Cup to Wales. They have a team in the ESL which the strongest club competition in the northern hemisphere but it's there to promote the game rather than as a reflection of the interest there and contains a pretty small percentage of French-born players.

I reckon he's probably talking about Papua New Guinea when he says four countries - yeah it's a small and relatively poor country but it's the only country which advertises rugby league as its national sport. They lap it over there and the NRL players are all A-list celebrities.
A few years ago (not sure if the situation has changed), France definitely had a far higher number of registered league players than union

They're just ****

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A few years ago (not sure if the situation has changed), France definitely had a far higher number of registered league players than union

They're just ****
If by "a few" you mean "forty" then yeah, sure. There are ten times more union players now.

Registered rugby league players: 34,000
Registered rugby union players: 313,877

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I doubt Tim ****ing Smith is an A-list celebrity in PNG.
He really would be. There are a lot of stories about how surprised fringe first graders are at the absolutely ridiculous attention they get if they ever go over there.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
George Horlin-Smith, who captained the Australian u/16's cricket side, just got drafted by Geelong.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
1 city in NZ, 2 counties in England and 2 states in Aus. Who is the 4th country?
Three, tbf. Cumbrians go divvy for league too.

On the decline of league frogside, it was famously banned by the collaborationist Vichy regime under Nazi occupation. Mike Rylance has written a really good book on it called The Forbidden Game. Recommended read for any league heads.

dro87

U19 12th Man
I think cricket must be considered a global sport- yes it's BIG only in 10-12 countries, but it's played in most of the countries in the world.. ICC has got 105 members (10 full, 35 Associate, 60 Affiliate)

Rugby has 124 member countries, so it's probably more spread than cricket, but there's no way basketball is.

Rugby in Italy is still a very small sport, it stands behind football, cycling, 5 a side footie, basketball, volleyball, swimming, fencing as most watched sports. A really small amount of money is involved.. and Italy is ranked in the top 15 in the world..