• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australians have alot to say now that they're winning ? - Tony Cozier

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
It's sad, the tables have turn but instead of being happy to win like the WI were in it's golden days the current strong teams in cricket want to kick out WI. What if WI had called for kicking out teams in the 80s ? Only one test team would be around. I personally don't believe in forcing yourself on anyone, in this case sporting culture. So if WI walked away I wouldn't be too upset.

Don't sell-out Windies - Garner

The cricketing world has a short memory. As Joel Garner recalls, it wasn't that long ago the likes of Australia and England relied upon West Indian tours to drag otherwise underwhelmed spectators through the turnstiles.

"When other teams weren't doing so well, and we were playing exciting cricket, we were relied upon so they could boost revenues," Garner said. "People forget how much money West Indies cricket has generated for the world when we were the team of choice for host countries."

Not surprisingly, Garner is unimpressed by calls for a two-tier Test system; calls that increased in volume and frequency after West Indies' dispiriting performance in the Brisbane Test. He believes cricket's stronger nations would be flouting history and acting out of self-interest if they voted to relegate the West Indians who, he insists, could rise again as a competitive force with appropriate funding.

"It's a selfish way to live your life," said Garner, who is currently serving as West Indies team manager on the tour of Australia. "You're basically saying, 'We're OK so to hell with you.' A four-team competition makes no sense. If we want eight competitive teams rather than just four, administrators need to look at new ways of sharing their revenue. West Indies needs rebranding, and it would be to the benefit of everybody if that happened.

"We are 16 islands that span 1,500 miles from Jamaica to Guyana with six million people where resources are scarce. We can get away with it up through the juniors, but if a player really wants to better himself, it is difficult when there are only six or eight first-class games a year. What we need is a professional league. We are not looking for handouts, just ways of looking at the way cricket's revenue is shared to improve the game in the Caribbean."

Sections of the Australian media have been vociferous in their condemnation of the West Indians since their arrival in Brisbane, supporting the case for their relegation from a proposed top tier of Test nations. Travis Dowlin, a Guyanese batsman with a cricketing resume spanning three Tests, was the latest to experience the blowtorch when an Adelaide television reporter asked whether the ICC should take action against West Indies for their poor form.

Tony Cozier, the veteran Bajan commentator and columnist, expressed his disappointment at the reaction of sections of the Australian media to West Indies' plight. "The abuse and scorn heaped on the team ... was undeserving," Cozier wrote. "Much of it was simply beyond the pale." Cozier went on to point out that, despite a difficult decade, West Indies had defeated England in a Test series this year and experienced a disjointed build up to the Brisbane Test, which they lost inside three days.

Garner concurs. "The West Indies team was invited to Australia in 1984 to bring people through the gates and there was no suggestion from our end that we wouldn't come," he said. "I think some people need to look at the bigger picture."

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FWIW I don't think any one side is clearly number one right now. SA-Aus, Ind-Aus, Eng-Aus have all traded series results in the immediate past.

As for the article by Cozier, IMO he makes some fair points, though it should be pointed out he was just about the most smug bastard on earth when the Windies used to tour here in the 80s and he was commentating on Nein.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Cozier & Garner on point. Plus if some in the AUS media weren't so biased they would realize, that this current WI team at full-strenght potentially the best team they have had in almost more than 10 years. WI are definately on the up.

Cozier is making a mountain out of a molehill, if he and Garner dont say anything the media will move onto the next riveting story. If you wrestle with pigs you both end up stinking.

subshakerz

International Coach
Cozier is making a mountain out of a molehill, if he and Garner dont say anything the media will move onto the next riveting story. If you wrestle with pigs you both end up stinking.
But the idea of two-tiered cricket is being floated around nowadays, so I can see them being concerned.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FWIW I don't think any one side is clearly number one right now. SA-Aus, Ind-Aus, Eng-Aus have all traded series results in the immediate past.

As for the article by Cozier, IMO he makes some fair points, though it should be pointed out he was just about the most smug bastard on earth when the Windies used to tour here in the 80s and he was commentating on Nein.
Agree.. try tellin that to Aussie though.. :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yes i disagree with Burgey, 6 moths ago i would agreed - but not ATM. Especially with ENG being considered despite the fact that they won the Ashes, they are way beind AUS, SA & IND.
Fair enough, I mean Australia's Test results over the past 6 months speak for themselves...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Australia keep losing series Aussie, that's all that matters.

vic_orthdox said:
Fair enough, I mean Australia's Test results over the past 6 months speak for themselves...
The inconsistency in the recent times i not a sign of decline. Right now on paper AUS have the better all-round team than SA or IND. I wasn't talking about recent results, since AUS are clearly going forward as team while SA & IND are going backwards.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The inconsistency in the recent times i not a sign of decline. Right now on paper AUS have the better all-round team than SA or IND. I wasn't talking about recent results, since AUS are clearly going forward as team while SA & IND are going backwards.
How exactly are SA and IND going back as a test team?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
How exactly are SA and IND going back as a test team?
SA's bowling attack has declined from team that won 12 series in a row between 2006 to 2009. That was clearly evident when AUS toured SA this year.

INDs young fast bowlers continue to blow hot & cold. While AUS pace trio have continued to improve test by test. While imminently as Dravid/Tendy/Laxman will leave & the BIG hole in the middle-order develops, i see no back-ups ready to fill in for them. Like how AUS had players ready to replace the Waugh's when they retired.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
How has Australian pace bowling improved when their main striker, Johnson has been a mere shadow of himself?

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Clearly you have different criteria for Australia than you do for other nations.
No sugar coating, just say plainly you think i am biased & go your merry way.

If it isn't clear that Johnson has gotten over this little Ashes blimp since the he took 5 for in Headingley. I really don't know what you are anyone else who thinks otherwise has been watching.