• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian to bat for your life

Batting for your life

• Don Bradman

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Steve Waugh

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Alan Border

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Ian Chappell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geoff Marsh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

archie mac

International Coach
The pitch is a shocker, uneven bounce, and a fast bowlers dream, the batsman of choice has to bat the whole of the last day.

The bowlers are Larwood, Croft, Lindwall, Trueman, Marshall, Tyson, Thomson, Younis and Andy Roberts.

This is just for fun :D No reason 8-)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Specify which Croft... Colin or Robert? ;)

Current Aussie - Langer. All time? Steve Waugh, Border... my pre-1990s knowledge isn't really solid enough to comment more.

archie mac

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Specify which Croft... Colin or Robert? ;)

Current Aussie - Langer. All time? Steve Waugh, Border... my pre-1990s knowledge isn't really solid enough to comment more.
Sorry about that, should be options up now :)

Colin Croft- of the mean stare :@

I thought we might do some other countries and then put the winners of each into a final, anyone what to have a crack at their own country?

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
So hard to chose.

Pre 90's....Border for sure. He was probably the only batsman that could bat well enough to get a ton on those kinds of pitches and Joel Garner has said he was the prized wicket of the Aussie lineup!

During the 90's though...Steve Waugh, for sure. No other person could really be relied upon to do so much damage with the bat, with only 2 or 3 wickets left. Shepherded the tail more often than I can count....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I never saw Bradman other than the highlight videos, and though he probably (hell most likely) is the best option, I'll go of fairly modern batsman.

For me its Border, he just seemed so gritty. Waugh is obviously a fairly good option too, but so many times I remember Border just standing there at the other end whilst other batsman would fall. Border's wicket was very hard to get.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
It'd have to be Bradman...although of the rest, I'd probably choose Border.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Bradman. although modern area(ie players ive actually watched play.)
Ricky Ponting.

archie mac

International Coach
I am beginning to think that I should not have included Bradman. I thought his poor reputation on bad wickets would take votes away from the great man :)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, add Michael Bevan into the mix. He saved Australia on many occasions in ODI's and I feel was unlucky not to become a Test superstar

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
archie mac said:
I am beginning to think that I should not have included Bradman. I thought his poor reputation on bad wickets would take votes away from the great man :)
Yeah see if we make this a competition with the most reliable batsman of each country going up against each other, Bradman will whip everyone again and it'll turn into the Battle of the Cricketers where the final outcome was obvious. But in terms of reliability, Dravid v Kallis v Waugh for example would be very interesting.