• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden was too big of a guy to remain completely balanced when playing the hook. This is a reason why many great batsman are short, small, compact and nimble players who, most importantly, can time the ball.

However his body weight & muscle certainly translated to raw power when he did get it right. But like RH said, if the pace bowling he was facing was on song, then it effectively took his biggest weapon away from him. That weapon was the ability to walk directly down the pitch towards the incoming bowler.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hearing that MMarsh could require a shoulder reconstruction and could be out for up to nine months. If that's the case he could miss potentially selection for the Ashes, although the selector's love-on with him reduces that possibility.

Makes picking him for India seem even stupider now.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Surely he wasn't doing enough to warrant re-selection for the Ashes? His best hope of a quick return to the test side was this tour. Not the right selection still, but for MMarsh, his best chance.

Am I right in thinking Boof and co. don't pick Maxi because his bowling is not nearly as good as his batting? I mean Watto was a good bowler as is Marsh. I just think they want 5 bowling options not just 4 and a couple overs. I know Marsh didn't bowl but if someone broke down he would have been a good option.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Surely he wasn't doing enough to warrant re-selection for the Ashes? His best hope of a quick return to the test side was this tour. Not the right selection still, but for MMarsh, his best chance.

Am I right in thinking Boof and co. don't pick Maxi because his bowling is not nearly as good as his batting? I mean Watto was a good bowler as is Marsh. I just think they want 5 bowling options not just 4 and a couple overs. I know Marsh didn't bowl but if someone broke down he would have been a good option.
You might be right but I just don't think it's a crucial factor when you're playing 2 spinners

Red

I seriously wonder sometimes how much CA marketability comes into play with selections. I mean, Marsh is a reasonably good looking guy, as is Cummins. As was Watto.

And now we've got Stoinis being selected over Henriques, who IMO is clearly the better batsman and bowler.

Gob

International Coach
I seriously wonder sometimes how much CA marketability comes into play with selections. I mean, Marsh is a reasonably good looking guy, as is Cummins. As was Watto.

And now we've got Stoinis being selected over Henriques, who IMO is clearly the better batsman and bowler.
Moises is hot though

Gnske

At least Stoinis doesn't have a nose borrowed from the proboscis ape family.

He's there for aesthetic value with those Mediterranean genes, nothing more.

Gnske

Wait, he actually did shave his hair off?

Good boy, can't go bald if you remove your hair from the equation.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aus selectors hard-on for Pat Cummins reached new heights.

Can you imagine being one of the guys who's played every Shield game for the last 4-5 years, taken 40+ wickets a year (or thereabouts) and get rewarded by being selected 13th man for one test or something, then this guy comes a long and plays one first-class game in like 2-3 years and gets catapulted into the Test team.

Not saying it's the "wrong" selection but interesting to look at different perspectives

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Can you imagine being one of the guys who's played every Shield game for the last 4-5 years, taken 40+ wickets a year (or thereabouts) and get rewarded by being selected 13th man for one test or something, then this guy comes a long and plays one first-class game in like 2-3 years and gets catapulted into the Test team.

Not saying it's the "wrong" selection but interesting to look at different perspectives
This has happened throughout history.. selectors take gambles on people perceived as special talents. Imagine if guys like Sachin and Ponting had been forced to slog it out in FC for multiple years before getting picked LOL.

Red

It's what I'm calling the Stephen O'Keefe Selection Policy (SOSP).

Surprisingly, if you pick guys who have been successful in Shield over a number of years, they'll do better in tests that guys who haven't (even if they're a bit ugly) - refer Bucky Rogers and Stephen O'Keefe.

Unfortunately Australian selectors use the CommBank/KFC Marketability Selection Policy (CKFCMSP), which means that if you resemble Keith Miller in looks (but not necessarily in talent), that is black hair, tall and angular with chiselled features (Mitch Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Cummins, Watson (albeit blonde) you will be selected whenever fit and regardless of form of match conditioning.