• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While Head does clearly a fair few flaws in his game, the idea that he looks like a rabbit in the headlights against quality bowling in the same manner as Burns or before that Handscomb hasn't really got any basis in statistics. Head doesn't get dismissed for single figures nearly as much as some seem to think, his problem is more throwing it away for a neither here nor there score

Yeahh I know people will dismiss this as "well he would say that, wouldn't he" but it's worth thinking about
It has though. His big scores have come against weaker bowling. What really closed the door on him for me was watching him try and face Broad and co. in the Ashes. While I think Wade needs to **** off too now, at least he looks like he can handle decent bowling and just plays stupid shots.

You're right that he does manage to get quite a few starts, but he usually looks horrible getting them as if he could get out at any moment. I don't think he's ever looked as comfortable as Handscomb did when he first came into the team (of course Handscomb has fallen off a cliff and is terrible now but that's neither here nor there).

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It has though. His big scores have come against weaker bowling. What really closed the door on him for me was watching him try and face Broad and co. in the Ashes. While I think Wade needs to **** off too now, at least he looks like he can handle decent bowling and just plays stupid shots.

You're right that he does manage to get quite a few starts, but he usually looks horrible getting them as if he could get out at any moment. I don't think he's ever looked as comfortable as Handscomb did when he first came into the team (of course Handscomb has fallen off a cliff and is terrible now but that's neither here nor there).
Don't lie, you were deathriding him looooooooooooooooong before that

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to get into some petty ****fight with you, you clearly decided you disliked him from day one

aussie tragic

International Captain
Ive not known a tougher time to pick an Aussie squad since the 1980's. We just don't seem to have quality openers or middle order bats.

My Squad for South Africa tour
1. Warner
2. Maddinson
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Pucovski
6. Green
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

12. Pattinson
13. Henriques
14. Neser
15. Swepson
16. Inglis/Carey
17. Harris

Spikey

I think the only problem I would have is weighing between the beach warmers going on tour or playing in the shield, carey being an obvious example

TheJediBrah

I think the only problem I would have is weighing between the beach warmers going on tour or playing in the shield, carey being an obvious example
Would've thought that's a no brainer given with covid bubbles and everything you need backups for every position. Not sure what South Africa's restrictions are like but if they're even 10% of what Australia's are you couldn't just fly someone in to play on a whim

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Ive not known a tougher time to pick an Aussie squad since the 1980's. We just don't seem to have quality openers or middle order bats.

My Squad for South Africa tour
1. Warner
2. Maddinson
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Pucovski
6. Green
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

12. Pattinson
13. Henriques
14. Neser
15. Swepson
16. Inglis/Carey
17. Harris
Your views on Australian selection are even more reactionary than your political views

aussie tragic

International Captain
Your views on Australian selection are even more reactionary than your political views
From the current squad I've added Maddinson and a back-up keeper to replace Head and Wade who have not performed well enough in last 2 seasons despite being given 7 and 8 Tests to do so. How is that reactionary?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
From the current squad I've added Maddinson and a back-up keeper to replace Head and Wade who have not performed well enough in last 2 seasons despite being given 7 and 8 Tests to do so. How is that reactionary?
I'm not going off one post. I'm going off most of your takes over the past couple years or so

aussie tragic

International Captain
I'm not going off one post. I'm going off most of your takes over the past couple years or so
Okay, I thought is was supposed to be play the Post, not the poster but maybe that's another forum. Did I offend you that much when I strongly called for Pucovski to play (against most other CW opinions) or was it Head to be dropped (celebrated by a lot).

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Maddinson deserves a run. Dominated Shield opening last year and then hardly got a bat this year when Puc and Harris opened and batted for hours.

Good thing about having Maddinson and Puc in the bubble is either can bat anywhere in the order from 1-6 if needed.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Look the answer's simple.

1. D Warner
2. U Khawaja *
3. K Richardson
4. S Smith
5. M Labuschagne
6. C Green
7. A Carey +
8. P Cummins
9. M Starc
10. N Lyon
11. J Hazlewood

morgieb

Look the answer's simple.

1. D Warner
2. U Khawaja *
3. K Richardson
4. S Smith
5. M Labuschagne
6. C Green
7. A Carey +
8. P Cummins
9. M Starc
10. N Lyon
11. J Hazlewood
YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

aussie tragic

International Captain
Let's just remind everyone you had never seen him bat live and were going solely off short highlights videos when you were first calling for him to be brought in
Bit hard to see Shield matches while living in Thailand but okay. I guess seeing scorecards, reading news and watching highlights isn't enough for me to pick him on a cricket Forum. Despite the fact I was actually right.