• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Only thing that matters in a WK is stump mic soundbites, remember.

Also Spikey's right. Picking The Man In Form sucks.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gonna take a stab at it probably being consistent performances over a longer period of time. Personally I think it should be a combination of both. Picking on form has worked at times in the past, eg. Adam Voges. Has also failed though, eg. Rob Quiney.

Shady Slim

International Coach
mitch marsh of all people getting caught in a kansas city shuffle as CA races hard to organise his shield availability

they seem to want him back in the picture hey

Spikey

Ok geniuses, what is a better guide than form?
a nearly 32yo batsman with a FC average of under 40 over the course of 10 odd seasons has hit a form patch over the last couple of seasons. What do you think is the most likely indicator as to whether they will have a successful test career, the solid but not spectacular FC career or the form patch?

the big bambino

International Captain
a nearly 32yo batsman with a FC average of under 40 over the course of 10 odd seasons has hit a form patch over the last couple of seasons. What do you think is the most likely indicator as to whether they will have a successful test career, the solid but not spectacular FC career or the form patch?
His competition was M Marsh then Handscomb and Mad dog. So not great but better than them.

TheJediBrah

His competition was M Marsh then Handscomb and Mad dog. So not great but better than them.
Yes. Bit of a strange opinion to be calling that a bad decision because it was based on a "form patch" when his overall career was still as good, or better, than any of the alternatives.

the big bambino

International Captain
Especially when handscomb and renshaw were picked simply because they tonned up the previous week. They then had a bit of a run based on their form before being found out. Still a better guide than Mad dog who was a hunch pick.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Especially when handscomb and renshaw were picked simply because they tonned up the previous week. They then had a bit of a run based on their form before being found out. Still a better guide than Mad dog who was a hunch pick.
I'm still a bit sad that Renshaw hasn't kicked on. I really thought he had it in him. And I guess he still does given his age.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeh I thought Renshaw looked the goods as a potential 100 test opener.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Renshaw was a really surprising turn. Was consistently pretty good, then got injured doing the UAE tour in 2018 and has been a shadow of himself in red ball since.

Spikey

Yes. Bit of a strange opinion to be calling that a bad decision because it was based on a "form patch" when his overall career was still as good, or better, than any of the alternatives.
I'm saying a 32 with a FC average of 38 or whatever it was didn't particularly deserve a test cap so it doesn't seem particularly worth the time to still be complaining about said player getting dropped after one test and four runs. The only thing he had going for him was form. which has shown time and time again as not being a particularly reliable indicator of future success, not least for very experienced, mediocre FC players (Ed Cowan, George Bailey, Alex the Dooman Doolan, probably some non tasmanians, etc)

as I recall, after Ferguson's debut, we simply could have returned to noted test batsman Adam Voges instead of picking Ferguson or Maddinson

Last edited: