• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Not exactly test related, but if marsh's injury isn't sorted by the time the India odi's role around who do Australia play in his position?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meredith and Swepson very lucky there. The pillow too, though slightly less so. Happy for Mad Dog. Would be low level awesome if he somehow got a gig and made a decent fist of it after his first foray, though you'd reckon KPat and the Pillow would be ahead of him. Green arguably the most exciting young Aussie cricketer on the scene since Cummins, so I'd love to see him fully fit and firing.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Meredith and Swepson very lucky there. The pillow too, though slightly less so. Happy for Mad Dog. Would be low level awesome if he somehow got a gig and made a decent fist of it after his first foray, though you'd reckon KPat and the Pillow would be ahead of him. Green arguably the most exciting young Aussie cricketer on the scene since Cummins, so I'd love to see him fully fit and firing.
Yeah kpat is provably above mad dog in the food chain, pillow definitely isn't though at the current moment.

Shady Slim

International Coach
ffs why do people keep trying to make swepson happen it was funny when warnie memed it into existence but it's since grown tiresome

i tell you what though, if maddog does one day find himself back in to the team he'll damn well have earned it. thrown in to a less than ideal situation for the debut, didn't make the most of it, admittedly, but has since gone back to domestix and put in hard, really worked at fixing what failed him the first time and has his bolts in the bank on the domestic scene to reflect that hard work

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Swepson did have a solid enough domestic season last year tbf, while I wouldn't pick him myself there isn't much choice when all of our non-Lyon spinners are various flavours of terrible. Honestly just bowling Marnus more might be the most servicable option for extra spin, the cupboard is pretty bare

Agreed on MadDog, such a strange career trajectory but he can sure play

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually don't think Swepson is a total meme. He's done really well considering how hard it is to bowl spin in the Shield (especially at his home ground).

I agree with those saying that at home they'd rather pick four quicks and use a bit of Marnus, but I think he's probably rightfully Australia's second spin option away from home now, and I think it's worth having him in the wider home squad for the off chance Lyon is injured and it's not a typical Australian pitch.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Swepson's been okay of yet no? Given my total opposition to all-quick bowling attacks in general, he's not the worst backup option.

Shady Slim

International Coach
look he’s not terribad terribad yeah i may have been offhandedly exaggerating (shocker!?), though even though i’m also hugely opposed to all quick attacks, i agree with the above sentiments re riding with marnus instead, who’s proved me wrong with the bat and the ball - he’s fooled me twice so shame on me tbqh

as is said, the cupboard for second man up and beyond is pretty bare. wish wish that sok was around now rather than during the boof days

TheJediBrah

Come back Steve O'Keefe, all is forgiven
In an alternative universe where the selectors love SOK and he wasn't a dickhead off the pitch he could have 400+ Test wickets by now

I actually don't think Swepson is a total meme. He's done really well considering how hard it is to bowl spin in the Shield (especially at his home ground).

I agree with those saying that at home they'd rather pick four quicks and use a bit of Marnus, but I think he's probably rightfully Australia's second spin option away from home now, and I think it's worth having him in the wider home squad for the off chance Lyon is injured and it's not a typical Australian pitch.
This is all true, but I personally don't like Swepson as an away-from-home option either. He doesn't seem suited to the subcontinent from what I've seen, and his biggest utility as an international spinner would be Tests in Australia. If we go on a tour to Asia or the West Indies, ie. somewhere you need a spinner or 2 I'd rather see a more accurate finger-spinner. If not SOK then an Agar-like character. Just can't see Swepson being any good in that environment.

TheJediBrah

Definite exaggeration that
Don't think so tbh. Definitely possible. I was actually gonna say 500+ but decided to turn it down. If Lyon's got nearly 400 there's no reason SOK couldn't have. SOK could have started slightly earlier too, if he was selected back when he first started being the best domestic spinner in Australia (2009-2010 ish??).

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think so tbh. Definitely possible. I was actually gonna say 500+ but decided to turn it down. If Lyon's got nearly 400 there's no reason SOK couldn't have. SOK could have started slightly earlier too, if he was selected back when he first started being the best domestic spinner in Australia (2009-2010 ish??).
We all know your opinion on Lyon simply isn't based in reality though

Burgey

Log into CC to see 'Brah O'Keefe at it again. Shield season must be starting soon.