• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Prelimanary squad of 30

Rusty

Cricket Spectator
The answer, then, is "yes", no need for the 8-)

I do remember the 2001 instance now, mind.

I think there was every need for the 8-) , given the trivial nature of your reply, no one would really care, you were just trying to be a smartass, and it back fired.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bulls*** was I.

I was pointing-out something that very few people ever take note of, and something that isn't remotely difficult to take note of.

With only 2 exceptions, Gilchrist and Hayden bat that way around, so you wouldn't think it too difficult to place them that way around in a team-list.

Rusty

Cricket Spectator
Bulls*** was I.

I was pointing-out something that very few people ever take note of, and something that isn't remotely difficult to take note of.

With only 2 exceptions, Gilchrist and Hayden bat that way around, so you wouldn't think it too difficult to place them that way around in a team-list.
They were the first to matches that came up on my search.

Also, in Haydens last two one dayers he has been listed first, so who's to say that won't continue. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bulls*** was I.

Who cares though? There really is little difference between #1 and #2. I just can't imagine a selector saying "We've opted for Player A ahead of Player B because he has more experience batting at #1, while Player B has spent most of his domestic career at #2."

No-one cares Richard. The roll-eyes emoticon was very apt.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They were the first to matches that came up on my search.

Also, in Haydens last two one dayers he has been listed first, so who's to say that won't continue. :p
Well... mainly I'd suggest the fact that Gilchrist (who didn't play in those games) will presumably return, but either way... there have been more important things discussed.

Mark Waugh and Michael Slater always used to rotate the first-facer - I presume, certainly with Slats, that that was due to supersuspicion. Hope they didn't annoy Hayden\Tubby and Gilchrist too much.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who cares though? There really is little difference between #1 and #2. I just can't imagine a selector saying "We've opted for Player A ahead of Player B because he has more experience batting at #1, while Player B has spent most of his domestic career at #2."

No-one cares Richard. The roll-eyes emoticon was very apt.
I doubt selectors make the choice. I've heard many examples of opening batsmen deciding amongst themselves. As I mentioned above, Mark Waugh and Michael Slater used to rotate it all the time.

Some - like Graham Gooch - always wanted to face first. Some - like Alec Stewart and Alastair Brown - hated it. Some - like Marcus Trescothick - showed no preferance whatsoever. Some - like Michael Atherton - preferred to face first but was happy to do whatever their partner chose if they had a strong preference.

Either way, most regular opening-pairings always do the same thing (it was always Trescothick-Struass and Trescothick-Vaughan, for instance, and to date it's always been Strauss-Cook) and I wouldn't think it'd be too difficult to list them the way they ALWAYS line-up yet it amazes me how often people list them the wrong way around.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it wasn't. But in case you haven't noticed, it's something I routinely pick-up on. Rather as moderators routinely pick-up on posters who consistently break forum rules.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No, it wasn't. But in case you haven't noticed, it's something I routinely pick-up on. Rather as moderators routinely pick-up on posters who consistently break forum rules.
Considering it was a brand new member looking to contribute though, you don't think cutting him some slack would have been beneficial? For all you know you could have scared away a potential goldmine of quality posts by attacking his reply over something completely irrelevant and unimportant.

Rusty

Cricket Spectator
Considering it was a brand new member looking to contribute though, you don't think cutting him some slack would have been beneficial? For all you know you could have scared away a potential goldmine of quality posts by attacking his reply over something completely irrelevant and unimportant.
He could have, if he wasn't wrong about it that is I guess......

luffy

International Captain
My final 15

Ricky Ponting TAS 32
Adam Gilchrist WA 35
Andrew Symonds QLD 31
Brett Lee NSW 30
Glenn McGrath NSW 36
Michael Hussey WA 31
Michael Clarke NSW 25
Stuart Clark NSW 31
Brad Haddin NSW 29
Mitchell Johnson QLD 25
Shaun Tait SA 23
Matthew Hayden QLD 35
Nathan Bracken NSW 29
Ben Hilfenhaus TAS 23
Cameron White VIC 23
Ok i had 17 and it wouldn't let me edit it so i got rid of Hogg and Voges

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not "completely irrelevant and unimportant", at all, but yes, maybe I'd have done well to examine the post-count and add a smiley or 2. Post-counts are not something I routinely examine when replying.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He could have, if he wasn't wrong about it that is I guess......
I wasn't "wrong" about anything - I asked a straightforward question, because I wasn't sure whether it'd ever happened.

Turned-out it had.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, Watson, Clarke, Huss, Symonds, White, Hogg, Clark, Lee, Bracken, Johnson, McGrath, Haddin.

Good looking team.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Does he deserve a place? Haddin and Jaques serve as cover for Gilchrist and Hayden, respectively. Correct me if I'm wrong but White is a leg-spinning, batting all-rounder.
The squad already has cover for the seamers (another seamer), Hogg (another seamer) and the middle-order batsmen (Jaques). I suppose White would be cover for Watson then.
White is required as second spinner and a good batting option. Jaques make room for him. Hayden's opening position is covered by Watson. If worst comes to worst I'm sure Clarke or Hussey wouldn't let anyone down at the top of the order.