• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian domestic season 2021/22

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Marnus was never going to be a 60's average batsmen, he's not sobers, think hey'll retire at the 48-50 range and be just bordering on atg ala KP or ross taylor.

slippy888

International Captain
I want to see Travis Head play for Australia in all 3 formats before it to late and he end up a wasted talent

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A number of his concussions are unrelated to the short ball, but several of them are. A career as a top order batsman is not conducive to a propensity to duck into bouncers, sadly for him.

I think he’ll end up one of the great “what if” stories of Aus cricket, unfortunately for him and for all of us.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it's sad but he's doing to do permanent brain damage if he continues down this path, if he doesn't already have it.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think there's any real indication that cricket helmets are helping that much to prevent concussion. In other sports such as hockey and cycling its well accepted that helmets were great for preventing skull fractures, not so much for preventing the rotational forces that are part of concussions. Not sure we've seen anything in cricket to suggest it isn't a similar situation

Chubb

International Regular
Pucovski is really worrying. Feel kind of sick every time I see he's got a concussion, imagining what it could mean for him later in life.

Starfighter

Is Swepson injured?

I don't think there's any real indication that cricket helmets are helping that much to prevent concussion. In other sports such as hockey and cycling its well accepted that helmets were great for preventing skull fractures, not so much for preventing the rotational forces that are part of concussions. Not sure we've seen anything in cricket to suggest it isn't a similar situation
I've personally wondered if cricket helmets could do with a bit of a redesign myself for the reasons you suggest, and I'm surprised that it hasn't been brought more prominent authorities. Certainly recent literature (like, 2020) suggests that lack of impact protection is a big issue. I can't help but notice that the design philosophy for baseball helmets is very different, using a much softer, thicker foam, something noted in this paper which suggests they perform slightly better.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Swepson was in the T20 squad from memory

Liking this attack here, early days but Doggett looks a damn good signing, and I have had a fair bit of time for McAndrew for a few years now. If anything Worrall arguably looks the least impressive of the quicks so far

social

Is Swepson injured?

I've personally wondered if cricket helmets could do with a bit of a redesign myself for the reasons you suggest, and I'm surprised that it hasn't been brought more prominent authorities. Certainly recent literature (like, 2020) suggests that lack of impact protection is a big issue. I can't help but notice that the design philosophy for baseball helmets is very different, using a much softer, thicker foam, something noted in this paper which suggests they perform slightly better.
NFL research basically confirms that helmets don’t prevent concussion

The worrying thing about Pucovski is that he seems to get concussion like symptoms every time he gets hit which certainly isn’t the case with every batsman

He’s fast approaching Boyd Cordner territory

Starfighter

NFL research basically confirms that helmets don’t prevent concussion
I wouldn't expect an NFL helmet to. Nothing in them that deals well with rotational force, and that's the case in a lot of other fields unfortunately. Only over the past four or so years have some of the standards for motorcycle helmets been revised to take this into account, though the issue has been known for much longer. Institutional inertia and cost of change are massive stumbling blocks everywhere (design issues aside).

The worrying thing about Pucovski is that he seems to get concussion like symptoms every time he gets hit which certainly isn’t the case with every batsman. He’s fast approaching Boyd Cordner territory
He was concussed falling running between wickets last year. I know from personal experience impacts from falling can be very heavy but aside from how frequently he gets hit he seems to be extremely susceptible, and is getting more so. Surely the doctors must be on the point of telling him to pack it in.