• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian domestic season 2021/22

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ali De Winter in the Tassie preseason spiel on the CA web site rightly with the big wrap on noted Parramatta, Tasmania and soon to be Australian opener Tim Ward:

Young gun

"We're thrilled with the way Tim Ward has come along in the winter time. His game has just gone to another level, so we're really excited about him as our long-term opening batter. He's just really developed his game - that confidence he built in from playing a game at the end of last year (is showing).

"He'll start in our (Shield) XI, he'll open the batting."

DivenutoFan

Cricket Spectator
Guess this is our thread for this season then

NSW: at full strength they have pretty much most of the Australian team, but generally those guys only play a bit at either end of the season. Bowling depth remains strong anyway, but the batting depth mainly consists of inconsistent/unproven youngsters, so that can be really patchy

QLD: probably the best rounded team in the competition at this stage. Batting can be a touch hit and miss, especially at home on a Gabba deck that can do a fair bit (wish the curators would prepare those sort of picthes for Tests imo), bowling attack is generally class though

SA: An absolute basket case, and have been for years. Getting Dizzy as coach is quite the coup, but it remains to be seen if he can do anything to improve the situation. Other problems like bloated and bureaucratic administration and a paucity of depth at a local level remain

TAS: a bit of a mixed bag really. The batting lineup can be seriously patchy (sensing a theme here?) but they have a bowling attack that is lethal on their day, especially considering they have probably the most english climate of any of the teams

VIC: generally always pretty strong, not so much last year. They benefit from having a lot of players, especially in batting, who fall into that hinterland of being fine domestic cricketers but just a bit short of international standard. Bowling attack definitely has a more youthful feel to it than 18-24 months ago, couple of young quicks I am keeping my eye on there

WA: always looked to have a pretty strong list in theory, but by and large that hasn't translated into major success. Have a good array of bowlers at their disposal, just a shame at least half of them are almost certainly injured at any given time

Hope that is at least vaugely helpful
Appreciate it thanks. How come the crowds are so poor even with free entry? Over here it's $20 a day entry for 4 day games and we get a few hundred at least and in the one day games the crowds are even bigger and it's about

Despite my username I'm actually a Pom.
I see the domestic season starts next week, and I'm entering the fantasy cricket contests
Someone be good enough to tell which teams in the 4 day and 1 day normally dominate and who are the weak teams?

Anyone got any sleeper players to look out for ?

How many overseas players are you allowed ? It's very rare I notice for you to take any

, Appreciate it

Why are the crowds so poor even with free entry? We get a lot bigger crowds here especially in one day cricket and is roughly $30 to get in. I noticed even before covid nobody seems to go to your games unless it's big bash, any idea why that is... Are all the games free on TV or something?

Spikey

QLD should not only have to hand over the points (directly to Tim Ward) for today's cancelled match, but also retrospectively handover last season's shield to NSW (or to Tim Ward)

tony p

First Class Debutant
It's becoming a joke.

If you aren't going to play because of FOUR covid cases in Queensland, when are you.
What are the ECB currently thinking, cancelling a shield game because of this, why would we bother coming to Australia for the Ashes.

Will the Women's test start tomorrow.?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Well this is a grim development tstl

If it isn't possible to get a semi decent run of Shield games on before the scheduled start of the Ashes (which looks increasingly likely) then I don't see any way whatsoever the Ashes can go ahead in the first place. Going in with no actual FC cricket played by the vast majority of the squad is a complete non starter as far as I am concerned

And no, some mickey mouse 15 a side game doesn't count

Shady Slim

International Coach
Well this is a grim development tstl

If it isn't possible to get a semi decent run of Shield games on before the scheduled start of the Ashes (which looks increasingly likely) then I don't see any way whatsoever the Ashes can go ahead in the first place. Going in with no actual FC cricket played by the vast majority of the squad is a complete non starter as far as I am concerned

And no, some mickey mouse 15 a side game doesn't count
i posit that we'd obliterate whatever side england puts out even if the natl side hasn't played any first class cricket in a year tbh

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
i posit that we'd obliterate whatever side england puts out even if the natl side hasn't played any first class cricket in a year tbh
I love putting **** on the english team as much as any warm blooded human being should, but honestly I very much doubt that

Haha there's no way this will be a factor at all in whether it goes ahead.
It should though.

Even I am not dim enough to believe CA actually care though. ****ing awful

Spikey

I'm dying to know what emergency plans CA have put together for the summer. Like at this point, they've surely got a "just do the Ashes in Vic, NSW and ACT" plan together, with SA probably being the other state most likely to be included given they've said they'll open up when they hit 80%. But how on earth can you do the shield and BBL when all signs suggest that Tas, WA and QLD are holding onto covidzero for as long as possible. And after last year's **** fight I'm sure they want a full BBL to prevent 7 being dicks again

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
"Who cares if Australia get absolutely slaughtered, those spivs at Jolimont St need to get paid" - Cricket Australia (probably)

Shady Slim

International Coach
I love putting **** on the english team as much as any warm blooded human being should, but honestly I very much doubt that
just think if history is anything to go by re english teams touring here, their bowling is going to be flaccid and their batting, intimidated; there's going to have to be big changes in the makeup of the english side and their psyche and their style to be able to win one test here let alone three, and this isn't that side

tbh much the same can be said about australian sides touring over there barring the fact that we had two bat-in-the-form-of-his-life-forces-his-team-over-the-line wins when we went over there most recently

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was Cricket Tasmania's decision. Stupid decision IMO. There's not a great risk to players playing, far more likely that they'd catch something on the plane flight home.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
just think if history is anything to go by re english teams touring here, their bowling is going to be flaccid and their batting, intimidated; there's going to have to be big changes in the makeup of the english side and their psyche and their style to be able to win one test here let alone three, and this isn't that side

tbh much the same can be said about australian sides touring over there barring the fact that we had two bat-in-the-form-of-his-life-forces-his-team-over-the-line wins when we went over there most recently

Honestly the Australian batting will be pretty flaky regardless imo, it's the bowling I am most worried about. In no sense am I even remotely comfortable about relying on anyone with zero recent red ball gametime to be ready to go come the first test (whenever that may be)

TheJediBrah

Haha there's no way this will be a factor at all in whether it goes ahead.
This. If Cricket Australia really cared about the national team winning they wouldn't have facilitated all our home Test pitches turning into slow roads over the last decade that negate our historic strengths.

Spark

Global Moderator
Why are the crowds so poor even with free entry? We get a lot bigger crowds here especially in one day cricket and is roughly $30 to get in. I noticed even before covid nobody seems to go to your games unless it's big bash, any idea why that is... Are all the games free on TV or something?
They're only on paid streaming and hidden on the CA website. They aren't exactly advertised or marketed, 99% of people would have no idea a game is even on; even people who follow the Shield would often only do so through scores after the fact

Spikey

county cricket just seems to have a more engaged fandom. it's a dumb measure, but Somerset's tweets gets a helluva lot more traction than cricket NSW's tweets