• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2020/21

Spark

Global Moderator
He obviously will have a massive target painted on his front pad that seamers around the world will try and hit, that's inevitable simply due to how tall he is and his setup. But it can't be news to him that that's the case, and he did seem to be making adjustments during the series to try and counter that.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not just Green. But Head and Burns went back to their respective domestic sides and have both posted some monstrous scores.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^That is just terrible
It's not just Green. But Head and Burns went back to their respective domestic sides and have both posted some monstrous scores.
It's not a mystery or some big conspiracy though. Bowling in Shield cricket (for most teams) is nowhere near the standard of Test bowling. It's not 2003 anymore.

Burgey

Where is all this coming from? Only played one series, against a very strong side and did fine. Just because he didn't average 60 in his debut series means something has gone wrong? fmd
He didn’t do “fine.” He was picked in the top six and downhill slogged one 80 odd. Rest of the time he was utterly becalmed. The kid has immense talent but has two gears - stop or pedal to the floor.

I desperately want him to become a quality test player but there’s no guarantee he’s going to when his default position rn is to plonk his foot in front of off stump and try to block good bowling until one goes past him or he nicks off.

He needs to find a way to rotate the strike effectively. The fact he’s averaging 50+ at Shield level without seeming to have learned that skill is an indictment on the coaching he’s received up til now.

Like I said, I hope he develops those gears, but you should have them before reaching test level. It’s a fundamental skill, not icing in the cake type stuff.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
He didn’t do “fine.” He was picked in the top six and downhill slogged one 80 odd. Rest of the time he was utterly becalmed. The kid has immense talent but has two gears - stop or pedal to the floor.

I desperately want him to become a quality test player but there’s no guarantee he’s going to when his default position rn is to plonk his foot in front of off stump and try to block good bowling until one goes past him or he nicks off.

He needs to find a way to rotate the strike effectively. The fact he’s averaging 50+ at Shield level without seeming to have learned that skill is an indictment on the coaching he’s received up til now.

Like I said, I hope he develops those gears, but you should have them before reaching test level. It’s a fundamental skill, not icing in the cake type stuff.
I respect your view, and personally feel like having the best debut series for a #6 since Clarke is "fine" in today's world considering guys like Wade consistently get games.

TheJediBrah

Not sure no.6 really suits him either. Obviously the plan was for him to bowl a bit so it made sense but he'd be more suited to no. 3 or 4 in an ideal world. He should at least be batting ahead of Henriques or whoever else gets that other middle-order spot (*cough* Maxwell *cough*).

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Liam Davis could be getting some company in the club of Western Australian batsmen with a shield triple this century.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When was the last time anyone had a 1000 run season in the shield? Green looks on track for one, as does Head. And this is in spite of the shortened shield summer.