• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2018/19

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Victoria carrying the rest of Australia on it's shoulders in terms of cricketing talent as well as geographically

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
After having watched the Sheffield Shield final, I have been thinking about my best XI for the season, here is my completely uneducated and worthless opinion:

1. Marcus Harris (VIC) 1188 runs at 69.88
2. Alex Doolan (TAS) 761 runs at 38.05
3. Kurtis Patterson (NSW) 724 runs at 40.22
4. Will Pucovski (VIC) 649 runs at 54.08
5. Nic Maddinson (VIC) 563 runs at 80.42
6. Matthew Wade (TAS) 1021 runs at 60.05, 13 dismissals as keeper, 4 wickets at 52.72
7. Michael Neser (QLD) 481 runs at 43.72, 33 wickets at 23.03
8. James Pattinson (VIC) 26 wickets at 18.92, 163 runs at 18.11
9. Trent Copeland (NSW) 52 wickets at 18.21
10. Jhye Richardson (WA) 27 wickets at 19.03
11. Jon Holland (VIC) 26 wickets at 28.15

Needed to play a least 5 games to qualify. Bird, Hughes, Boland, Tremain, Mennie and O'Keefe all pretty unlucky not to make it

trundler

Head and Patterson look like the real deal. Khawaja is in a golden run of form. Smith is Smith. Warner is firing so far. Even if Khawaja and Warner fail in England, the batting doesn't look bad at all now Cummins, Richardson, Pattinson and Hazelwood should all be lethal too. I'm backing Australia.

Smudge80

Cricket Spectator
My XI would be:

Harris 1,188 runs @ 70 HS 250* 3 100s & 6 50s
Hughes 742 runs @ 39 HS 134 2 100s & 4 50s
Doolan 761 runs @ 38 HS 115 1 100 & 6 50s
Wade 1,021 runs @ 60 HS 137 2 100s & 8 50s
Patterson 724 runs @ 40 HS 40 2 100s & 4 50s
Larkin 687 runs @ 36 HS 175* 2 100s & 2 50s
Copeland 52 wickets @ 18. BB 6-86 3 5wI
Tremain 45 wickets @ 22 BB 5-13 3 5wI
Holland 26 wickets @ 28 BB 5-31 3 5wI
Boland 48 wickets @ 20 BB 7-54 2 5wI
Bird 50 wickets @ 22.22 BB 7-59 4 5wI & 2 10wM

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
How exactly does Patterson end up at 5 in that lineup? Should be higher considering his status as an incumbent Test cricketer. Bird batting behind Holland and Boland is a touch odd too? Ever since Rod Marsh wrote his batting off he has played quite a few jaunty lower order knocks. Where as Boland especially is the ultimate strokeless wonder

Not a bad team by any means, just strangely ordered

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Larkin needed to have a better final to make the team of the season IMO, especially if you were going to the trouble of batting him out of position.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It was a bit of a breakthrough season for him though, I'm really happy for him. Only averaging 36 for the season doesn't make it look that way, but he looked good at the crease for the lot of it, and after a bad start managed to convert some starts into big hundreds. Bad final as mentioned above, but in his defence he did get out to Patto both times. Not being able to keep Patto out with the new ball doesn't preclude you from being a good Shield opener. Hell I'm not convinced our Test openers would do a particularly good job of that very often.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Burns' season looks worse on paper than it was in reality. The last few games where Queensland were playing in bowler dominated games Burns acquitted himself pretty well.

Larkin had a very up and down season. Started poorly, dramatically peaked in the middle and then tapered off again.

Bird showing his test- quality class.

Lehmann really carried the SA batting but nowhere near well enough to even win a single match.

Neser had a great all round season.

stephen

It was a bit of a breakthrough season for him though, I'm really happy for him. Only averaging 36 for the season doesn't make it look that way, but he looked good at the crease for the lot of it, and after a bad start managed to convert some starts into big hundreds. Bad final as mentioned above, but in his defence he did get out to Patto both times. Not being able to keep Patto out with the new ball doesn't preclude you from being a good Shield opener. Hell I'm not convinced our Test openers would do a particularly good job of that very often.
Pattinson should not be playing domestic cricket. It's unfair on the batsmen.

TheJediBrah

Yeah sure. From minnows to saffer bashers within a month. Credible “opinion”.
You've just shown that you either didn't watch any of the SL/Aus Test series, or watched it but failed to comprehend what was actually going on. Whichever of the two it is you should be more worried about your own credibility.

the big bambino

International Captain
SL have beaten SA 4 times in 5 tests. Minnows can't do that. You can argue against Starc for whatever reason you like as long as its credible. Starc's effort against SL is inconvenient for any case you want to make against him. Because only a fool would drop someone after taking that many wickets. So you run the minnow crap. You're just making **** up.

Smudge80

Cricket Spectator
How exactly does Patterson end up at 5 in that lineup? Should be higher considering his status as an incumbent Test cricketer. Bird batting behind Holland and Boland is a touch odd too? Ever since Rod Marsh wrote his batting off he has played quite a few jaunty lower order knocks. Where as Boland especially is the ultimate strokeless wonder

Not a bad team by any means, just strangely ordered
To be honest when composing the XI I was thinking more of personnel than batting positions.

Starfighter

SL have beaten SA 4 times in 5 tests. Minnows can't do that. You can argue against Starc for whatever reason you like as long as its credible. Starc's effort against SL is inconvenient for any case you want to make against him. Because only a fool would drop someone after taking that many wickets. So you run the minnow crap. You're just making **** up.
Or he actually watched the series.

the big bambino

International Captain
Or he actually watched the series.
Yeah this is just the thing people like you say when you get called out and struggle for a reply. Kind of like when Mark Waugh responds to journalistic criticisms with "how many tests have you played?" Which is what you'd do. Except you haven't played tests.