• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2017/18

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here's a poll within a poll.
Which state players have reached their used by date?
Moises Henriques?
Dan Christian? Tom Cooper?
Just a few names 2 start with?As we approach the 2nd half,then the end of the season.
Just a future look?
Not Henriques that's for sure

Ben Dunk, Nick Larkin and Peter George spring to mind.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Based on the highlights I saw, I’m baffled how Sayers managed to take nunfa in the Adelaide game. Didn’t watch live, was he just swinging it too much? Got a horrible feeling it’ll spook the selectors if Bird is ruled out of the SA tour too (although he’s up against it to go anyway, really).

Last edited:

Starfighter

Based on the highlights I saw, I’m baffled how Sayers managed to take nunfa in the Adelaide game. Didn’t watch live, was he just swinging it too much? Got a horrible feeling it’ll spook the selectors if Bird is ruled out of the SA tour too (although he’s up against it to go anyway, really).
I'd say the opposite. When I saw him he was bowling a yard or two too short and wasn't moving it very much at all. And there was plenty of movement to be had.

TheJediBrah

No, Sayers genuinely the worst of the bowlers on display. I'd be worried if they do pick him.

Burgey

Anyone who **** cans sayers on one rubbish game is kidding. Bloke can obviously bowl and would suit the conditions over there.

Gnske

Wow big congrats to Young Cricketer of the Year Jhye Richardson, so very hard earned an accolade with 15 gruelling FC and OD games in 3 years!

Top_Cat

I'd say the opposite. When I saw him he was bowling a yard or two too short and wasn't moving it very much at all. And there was plenty of movement to be had.
That's what I was getting at, everyone else was h00ping them so for Sayers to go without on AO suggests a seriously bad day out or two.

That said, AWTBurgey as usual.

TheJediBrah

Anyone who **** cans sayers on one rubbish game is kidding. Bloke can obviously bowl and would suit the conditions over there.
Nah he's no good. I've never seen him take a bunch of wickets all I've seen is him bowl **** in this game. Don't pick him.

Pick Ben Dwarshuis for the SA Tests, he looked ok in the Big Bash

Spikey

Not Henriques that's for sure
let's say Henriques retired from FC cricket because his body keeps letting him down and his test career is all but done....he will absolutely do a side strain in the first game of every T20 comp he ever plays in for the rest of his career

Gnske

let's say Henriques retired from FC cricket because his body keeps letting him down and his test career is all but done....he will absolutely do a side strain in the first game of every T20 comp he ever plays in for the rest of his career
the only strain is in your brain and is the cause of your paine

TheJediBrah

The first step to sporting segregation. Soon there will be a team for every racial origin, ***ual orientation and gender.

They might have to make a new competition just for the genders though given that there are so many of them

Top_Cat

For me, the Imparja Cup is a net good. Broadly, it can be difficult for your average Nunga to get a go at the grade level. Club outreach programmes a lot of grade clubs have at least get promising cricketers in the selection conversation but the cool thing about playing Imparja is that you get a chance to play against current or former FC cricketers which can lead to more grade stuff/a FC career. As the carnival is traditionally held outside the city, it gets a bit of support too and gets communities at least thinking cricket is a thing.

A lot of people say Nungas don't want to play cricket but that's not true at all, plenty do but when every team from the Test side down looks like a closed shop, your athletic talents are probably best spent elsewhere. The fact they're even talking about a combined Imparja team to play Futures tells you how much the standard has risen. That said, I do wonder how many current FC cricketers have been 'made' by the Cup. Darcy Short maybe the only one?

Gnske

I'm totally fine with it, I just wonder to what end will the introduction of an Imparja team accomplish in regards to state interest for the exceptional players.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Agree that the Imparja Cup is a good thing. I'm okay with this proposed team as well, as long as:
1. It's primarily used as a pathway for good cricketers from the Imparja Cup, and not just a way for players with indigenous heritage who have failed in state systems to extend their careers.
2. The standard of the team is good enough to compete at that level.

I don't know enough about the proposal or the standard of the Imparja Cup to make guesses as to how true those might be, but that's about where I'm at with it.

Top_Cat

Agree that the Imparja Cup is a good thing. I'm okay with this proposed team as well, as long as:
1. It's primarily used as a pathway for good cricketers from the Imparja Cup, and not just a way for players with indigenous heritage who have failed in state systems to extend their careers.
2. The standard of the team is good enough to compete at that level.

I don't know enough about the proposal or the standard of the Imparja Cup to make guesses as to how true those might be, but that's about where I'm at with it.
On this, my own experience suggests it's geared towards giving the young ones with potential a go but this definitely something to be mindful of, especially the teams from from smaller pools (like SA). The standard of teams is probably where the biggest gains have been made but it would be interesting to see how they go against a Futures team. If a combined Imparja XI just ends up getting whacked every game because the guys who are any good just get pilfered by their states, that's no fun for anyone. No ringers either pls.

Would pay to watch the Prison XI scare a state team, though....

I'm totally fine with it, I just wonder to what end will the introduction of an Imparja team accomplish in regards to state interest for the exceptional players.
Probably little at first. At this point, just getting them into grade system is the issue. Even in Eastern states with good outreach, probably a lot who are missed.

Last edited: