• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia Squad: 4th Test

Rich2001

International Captain
MacGill Comes In For S.Warne

"MacGill has an outstanding Test record with 82 wickets from just 17 matches at an average of 25.01 and with a strike-rate of a wicket every 50.4 balls.

His record against England is equally impressive with 27 wickets in four Tests in the corresponding series four years ago. That made him the leading wicket-taker on either side, and the haul included his best innings (7-50) and match figures (12-107) in the final Test of the series in Sydney."

The squad is unchanged apart from the forced change of S.Warne through injury...

Full Squad:

Stephen Waugh (captain) NSW
Adam Gilchrist (vice-captain) WA
Andrew Bichel QLD
Jason Gillespie SA
Matthew Hayden QLD
Justin Langer WA
Brett Lee NSW
Darren Lehmann
Stuart MacGill NSW
Damien Martyn WA
Glenn McGrath NSW
Ricky Ponting TAS

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lehmann should be dropped. Australia are a comfortable 3-0 up, Lehmann hasn't set the world ablaze in the series and he's not exactly young. Play some youth I say! Look to the future, it's the perfect opportunity.

Choora

State Regular
Yes i agree with Mr Mxy , Lehmann is not exactly very young and Aussies should look 2 the future.The result of the match is hardly a question regardless of the composition of team that will take on the English team, so it will be better 2 try out some young cricketers.

wahindiawah

Banned
I hate a 5-0 hammering, whats the point of playing such a long series when the result is hardly in doubt?? Its booooring :!( I think the Ashes series should be restricted to a 3 match series untill England raises its standard and become capable of giving Australia some hard time!

anzac

International Debutant
While I agree with the idea of using this series to blood some youngsters, I do not think the Aussies will do so.

I think they hold their 'baggy green' in such high esteem that they are loath to make changes to the Test team / Squad unless they are either forced to, or need to in consideration for the future (such as the Waugh situation & to partly avoid needing to make several changes at once after the series now that Steve has been given a big hint re his future)!!!!!

Lehmann may not be young & nor is he setting the world alight re his scoring, but he can nopt be discounted after only 3 tests when you consider his credentials. For years he was consistantly the top domestic run scorer b4 getting his opportunity. Re his age - he falls in with the other 30+ in the team, and Hayden & Langer both re-started their careers after 30!!!!

The other contenders would be the likes of Mayher, Blewett, Hogg, Hussey & Clarke, but I do not like any of their chances for this series. I think there will be changes after The Ashes & some new faces will get their opportunities on the next Away tour after the WC.

:)

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
In response to anzacs post about the next inline players being Maher and co. I'm once again shocked to not see Bevan on that list. He avgs on 60 in Sheffield Shield Cricket and has had awesome performances in recent years against international touring sides in 4 day exhibitions. on top of this he is the world's ultimate one day player. Give Bevan another go I say!!!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i thhink the next in line should have been bevan before lehmann,

bbevan should still be next in line, also, to have more of the same players in both teams.

Maher does not have much of a shot for the test team i dont think, i think as well as the above players Michael clarke and Martin Love would also be in front of him for test selection

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maher does not have much of a shot for the test team i dont think, i think as well as the above players Michael clarke and Martin Love would also be in front of him for test selection
I think you'll find that Michael Clarke is well behind both Marty Love and Jimmy Maher in terms of a Test spot. Why? Because although he has potential, he hasn't performed consistently for at least a coupel of seasons. Heck, he was struggling to stay in the NSW side before this season. I think the Test selectors will have a bit more of a look at him before they pick him.

As for Bevan, the biggest reason he's not in the Test side has little to do with the most popular reasons I've heard (short-ball weakness, arrogance etc.) and most to do with his weakness to full-deliveries outside off-stump. Have a look at how many times he gets caught by the wicket-keeper (20% of dismissals) and in the slips cordon in general (37%) and if you combine the two, it amounts to 57% of all his test dismissals have come behind the wicket. That's a pretty significant weakness for a Test number 6 who would frequently be up against the second new-ball and I think it made quite a negative impression on the selectors.

That perpetually angled-bat of his might be okay in one-day cricket but in Tests, it just results in plenty of nicks behind as is borne out by his stats. This is why he hasn't been a Test regular.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
I think you'll find that Michael Clarke is well behind both Marty Love and Jimmy Maher in terms of a Test spot. Why? Because although he has potential, he hasn't performed consistently for at least a coupel of seasons. Heck, he was struggling to stay in the NSW side before this season. I think the Test selectors will have a bit more of a look at him before they pick him.

TC is 100% right....

And to prove this Martin Love has been called into the Aussie side to replace an injured Darren Lehmann...

Can he make it 3 200's against England in the 1 season????
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Media Release from ACB

Courtesy of Baggygreen.com.au

Love called up as cover for Lehmann
Australian Cricket Board - 24 December 2002

Queensland batsman Martin Love has been called up as cover for Darren Lehmann for the fourth Orange Test match against England at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) on Boxing Day.

Love will join up with the squad this afternoon (Tuesday) following Lehmann's admission to hospital suffering from an acute infection in his right leg.

Australian team medical officer Dr Trefor James said: "Darren was admitted to hospital overnight on Monday and will receive a course of intravenous antibiotics. It is hoped he will be discharged on Christmas Day depending on his progress over the next 24 hours."

Love's call-up comes with him topping the list of first-class run-scorers for the season. He has scored 781 runs at an average of 130.16 this summer, including 250 for Queensland against England, 201 not out - also against England - for Australia A and 190 in his latest innings, against Tasmania.

After hearing of his call-up on Tuesday morning, Love said: "I'm very excited about being picked or potentially picked.

"Trevor Hohns called just when I was having breakfast and trying to organise our plans for Christmas Day.

"Those plans have now been thrown into a bit of a spin, but I'm more than happy with that.

"It's always something you do on Boxing Day, after having a big Christmas Day, you generally sit down and watch the Test when you're recovering, so it will certainly be a different view on things now that I'm actually part of it."

Gregory Blewett said:
TC is 100% right....

And to prove this Martin Love has been called into the Aussie side to replace an injured Darren Lehmann...

Can he make it 3 200's against England in the 1 season????
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He certainly can, i mean how hard can it be to score them against England???

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
pretty hard cause he will be batting at no 6 if he plays and he scores fast but not as fast as Gilly!!!!

anyway, judging by past performances Aus will already have 500+ on the board and we wont bat twice :P