• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia in 2007 World Cup

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I know the world in the caribbean ins still two years away but the way my australians are looking at the moment and the talent they have in reserve onc they play at the capable best in the 2007 world cup no team in world cricket can stop them. I f u dont believe me look at these facts. here is my possible 15 -man squad for the aussies with their ages during the world cup

1.Ricky Ponting - captain Age: 32 in 2007 world cup
2.Adam Gilchrist - w/keeper Age: 35 in 2007 world cup
3.Micheal Clarke Age: 26
4.Damien Martyn Age: 35
5.Andrew Symonds Age: 31
6.Micheal Hussey Age: 31
7.Brad Hodge Age: 32
8.Shane Watson Age: 25
9.James Hopes Age: 28
10.Brad Haddin - back up keeper Age: 29
11.Cameron White Age: 23
12.Brett Lee Age: 29
13.Jason Gillespie Age: 32
14.Damien Wright Age: 31
15.Glenn McGrath Age: 37

an even if u blokes dont agree wid my fifteen n u might say guys like gilchrist, mcgrath and martyn might not be around their is superb back up talent with the likes of Simon Katich, David Hussey, the young extermely quick Shaun tait, Nathan Bracken, Marcus North etc

Lets here ur views

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That would be pretty close, assuming none of the players get dropped or injured. Not too sure on Damien Wright, however you never know what will happen in the next 2 years and perhaps Kasprowicz will still be in the main sqauds.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed

the way the aussie selectors are i'm pretty sure by then they might force kasper out of the team, but that we be disappointing and also because some bowler might come up by then n force him out, his age will be a factor he'll be 35 then.

and on damien wright he is a good one-day bowler especially i have seen him bat many times and he is a very handy batsman, close to excellent fielder and very accurate when it comes to bowling

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Side looks likely, aside from the fact that I think Tait will definately be in the squad instead of Wright.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

yeah possibly but the reason i would go for wright is because of his all round cricketing ablility

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

u blokes know who is an exciting young prospect i have seen in australia LUKE RONCHI the kiwi born big hitting western australian. I saw when western australia played victoria he made 87 in 34 balls hit victoria. One shot that i remember when he swung shane warne over mid wicket for a huge six.

Guys look out for Luke its gilchrist reincarnation

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
aussie said:
u blokes know who is an exciting young prospect i have seen in australia LUKE RONCHI the kiwi born big hitting western australian. I saw when western australia played victoria he made 87 in 34 balls hit victoria. One shot that i remember when he swung shane warne over mid wicket for a huge six.

Guys look out for Luke its gilchrist reincarnation
Being Kiwi born, is there a chance he could cross the Tasman and play for the black caps?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

probably but i doubt it because he has been in australia n learnt his craft here n if u were to look down the line in 5 to 10 years the way he plays fits into the aussie way perfectly

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussies

I dont know guys england r my home the aussies r my favourite team i dont know who to support i'm only 15 i'm too young for this stress who am i goin to support. What do u blokes thing?

But if i were to be honest i dont think england can win this ashes they have been playing brilliantly but if r to win they will ahbe to conquer McGrath, Gillespie, Lee , Kasprowicz and Hollywoood (Shane Warne) because thats what makes australia the team their all.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apologies if you mentioned this elsewhere, as I've just skimmed, but are you English? Or do you just reside in England?

telsor

U19 12th Man
The Aus selectors made the tough calls after the last WC, dropping those players who they didn't think would be available for the next ( Bevan and Bichel ). I think it stands to reason that they believe everyone currently playing will at least be available barring injury or a run of bad form.

With that in mind, my money is on Kaspa keeping his spot. Not so sure about Tait...in one day games he seems like Lee ( a bit loose and expensive, but takes enough wickets to make up for it ), and I'm not sure we would want 2 of that type.

White over Hogg seems a bit iffy as well..White has done very little bowling this year and I doubt that will change unless the Vics get a new captain ( or coach ) who keeps giving him the ball, Bowler captains tend to either over or under bowl themselves, and I think he's erred on the underbowl side too much for his own good ( and the long term good of the side ). White is the more talented all-round player, but we'll have to see how he develops.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
the interesting thing is that about 8 of the above 15 players named could probably go on to the 2011 world cup (which should be in aus/nz??)

Ponting (36 in 2011), Clarke (30), Symonds (35/36), Watson (29), Hopes (32), Haddin (33), White (27), Lee (33) could all be realistic chances of sticking around. Throw in the young stars like Philipson, Birt, Ronchi, Tait, Cullen, Hauritz, Kruger the list goes on.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Apologies if you mentioned this elsewhere, as I've just skimmed, but are you English? Or do you just reside in England?
yes i am english with a strange background mate, guyanese born mum and and australian born british father

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
telsor said:
The Aus selectors made the tough calls after the last WC, dropping those players who they didn't think would be available for the next ( Bevan and Bichel ). I think it stands to reason that they believe everyone currently playing will at least be available barring injury or a run of bad form.

With that in mind, my money is on Kaspa keeping his spot. Not so sure about Tait...in one day games he seems like Lee ( a bit loose and expensive, but takes enough wickets to make up for it ), and I'm not sure we would want 2 of that type.

White over Hogg seems a bit iffy as well..White has done very little bowling this year and I doubt that will change unless the Vics get a new captain ( or coach ) who keeps giving him the ball, Bowler captains tend to either over or under bowl themselves, and I think he's erred on the underbowl side too much for his own good ( and the long term good of the side ). White is the more talented all-round player, but we'll have to see how he develops.[/QUOT

well we will see about kaspa over the next cople of years untic cwc 2007 comes around note he will be 35 then so we will have to see. I agree with ur comments on shaun tait he is a brett lee type bowler n u might not want two of that thats why i said Tassy boy Damien Wright could finally win over the selectors simply because he suits one-day cricket

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

lets move from how powerful australia would look in the 2007 world cup to what they would be like without the likes of McGrath, Warne, Hayden, Martyn, Ponting , Langer, Gillespie, Gilchrist, Kasprowicz and all the other ones. U with me goooooooooood now lets imagine per say the year is 2011 and has we know in the past Australia vs West Indeis clashes have been intense n australia r scheduled to tour their in 2011 so imagine an aussie team up againts i would presume by then more mature n pacy blokes like Fidel Edawrds, Tino Best, Jermaine Lawson etc that up for some mouth watering cricket. Here is what i think my aussie team will look around then

1.Phil Jaques, Age: 31 during that time
2.Travis Birt, Age: 29
3.Michael Clarke * (Skipper), Age: 29
4.David Hussey, Age: 33
5.Marcus North, Age: 31
6. Shane Watson, Age: 29 (Should be a world class all-rounder by then)
7.Brad Haddin/Luke Ronchi, Ages: 33/30 (Touch and go)
8.Cameron White, Age: 27 (Next Warney but different)
9.Brett Lee, Age: 33 (would have lost pace then, but will still be a big one for sure)
10.Shaun Tait, Age: 27 (will take over from lee has the aussie pace man)
11.Nathan Bracken, Age: 33 (i like nathan he lends variety to the bowling n would have been a season pro by then)

during that time a lot of other good players will be knocking around like cosgrove, rofe, bird, hauritz, philipson, doherty, brant, cullen, ferguson, cleary etc

so what do ya think about that mates

telsor

U19 12th Man
Crazy Sam said:
the interesting thing is that about 8 of the above 15 players named could probably go on to the 2011 world cup (which should be in aus/nz??)
About the same number as will play in both the 2003 and 2007 WCs.....