• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia A in New Zealand 2022/23

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Don’t follow Kiwi domestic cricket but wasn’t Ravindra supposed to be the next big thing?

Seem to remember watching him play tests a few years ago where his back story was hyped & then sort of fell off the international scene
Lost his place to Darryl Mitchell.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Paris out of Australia A team vs NZ A with Back pain.

Australia A
Wes Agar, Xavier Bartlett, Jordan Buckingham, Aaron Hardie, Caleb Jewell, Spencer Johnson, Campbell Kellaway, Nathan McSweeney, Mitch Perry, Jimmy Peirson, Matthew Renshaw, Mitchell Swepson, Tim Ward, Teague Wyllie

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Very much a squad geared around the concept of "we want to have a closer look at some guys" as opposed to a genuine next in line team, which is fine considering a lot of the people who would be in such a team are going to play county cricket.

Four South Australia players is nice to see, only Johnson is actually a homegrown product though

DougieRydal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Personally I'd be concerned about the weather, it's been 9 degrees here all day and has poured for the last 3 days...

Although looking at a weather app, it actually looks ok, other than Sunday...

ataraxia

International Coach
Play starts in 25 minutes. Sides:

Henry Cooper /
Sean Solia / o
Dean Foxcroft / o
Cole McConchie / o
Tom Bruce* /
Robbie O'Donnell / (gets to play at 6 again)
Cam Fletcher † /
Doug Bracewell o /
Kuggs o / (#batdeeeeeeeeeeep)
Ajaz Patel o
Jacob Duffy o
Teague Wyllie /
Matt Renshaw /
Tim Ward /
Nathan McSweeney* /
Aaron Hardie / o
Campbell Kellaway /
Jimmy Peirson † /
Xavier Bartlett o (#notsobatdeep)
Wes Agar o
Mitchell Swepson o
Spencer Johnson o (@GoodAreasShane)
O'Rourke o
MJ Hay /
Ashok o
Randell o (likely still recovering from concussion)

Kuggs was slated to only be available for game 2; not sure what happened there?
Anyhow, looks a pretty damn strong side tbh.
Perry o
Jewell /
Buckingham o

Looks not so strong.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Game is on YouTube. Half watching but wicket seems flat, very slow and Renshaw could do serious damage if they wanted to.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't understand why exactly Wyllie opened and Ward batted 3 when it is the opposite of where they bat domestically. Can't make any sense of that one whatsoever

Really looking forward to seeing how Johnson goes. Hopefully he won't be having to bowl for a while yet though

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't understand why exactly Wyllie opened and Ward batted 3 when it is the opposite of where they bat domestically. Can't make any sense of that one whatsoever

Really looking forward to seeing how Johnson goes. Hopefully he won't be having to bowl for a while yet though
Wyllie opens in grade. Maybe Aus are looking at him as more of an opener long term? They've picked a very experimental lineup for this series, I have no issues with them moving some of the young blokes like Wyllie and Kellaway around the order to see what sticks.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Wyllie opens in grade. Maybe Aus are looking at him as more of an opener long term? They've picked a very experimental lineup for this series, I have no issues with them moving some of the young blokes like Wyllie and Kellaway around the order to see what sticks.
Can't really agree there tbh. I was ok with such an expeimential side being picked considering how many more established players had county deals, but this is 100% unnecessarily complicating things for no good reason imo. Never a fan of looking to fasttrack ANY batsman through into internationals too early

Ward is a chance (albeit remote) of opening for Australia in the next 12 months, Wyllie really isn't at this point of his career, definitely needs a good Shield season or two under his belt before considering him for international selection at all

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't really agree there tbh. I was ok with such an expeimential side being picked considering how many more established players had county deals, but this is 100% unnecessarily complicating things for no good reason imo. Never a fan of looking to fasttrack ANY batsman through into internationals too early

Ward is a chance (albeit remote) of opening for Australia in the next 12 months, Wyllie really isn't at this point of his career, definitely needs a good Shield season or two under his belt before considering him for international selection at all
If Wyllie is more suited to opening then #3 but WA won't move him up there because they have Whiteman and Bancroft up there what's wrong with CA giving him some experience opening at the higher level?

None of the guys in this team bar Renshaw and peirson are a realistic **** at an ashes squad, and those two are batting in position. If Wyllie doesn't make runs opening he goes back to #3 for WA, if he does then it gives WA some food for thought and gives Wyllie a chance at making international cricket in 3/4 years rather than 5+ (Marnus is locked at #3 and entering the 28-32 age group where most good batsmen tend to peak.

FYI, I would have prefered Jewell opening this game, but I'm not hugely upset with them testing Wyllie there either.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
In that nz 11. Only 1 player a chance of being a blackcap 5 years from now.
Picking this is Foxcroft....Cooper and Fletcher could be there, but I take your point. That's a very weird thing to say about an A side, especially when the top XI is famed for all being over 30, as well.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
If Wyllie is more suited to opening then #3 but WA won't move him up there because they have Whiteman and Bancroft up there what's wrong with CA giving him some experience opening at the higher level?

None of the guys in this team bar Renshaw and peirson are a realistic **** at an ashes squad, and those two are batting in position. If Wyllie doesn't make runs opening he goes back to #3 for WA, if he does then it gives WA some food for thought and gives Wyllie a chance at making international cricket in 3/4 years rather than 5+ (Marnus is locked at #3 and entering the 28-32 age group where most good batsmen tend to peak.

FYI, I would have prefered Jewell opening this game, but I'm not hugely upset with them testing Wyllie there either.
I don't believe in asking too much of young players too soon, never have, never will. Would far rather pick someone who actually has shown signs of good performance as an Shield opener, going for "potential" instead is far too GChappellish for my liking

Whether that is Ward or Jewell is an intetesting debate, can mount a good argument for both, but afaic going with neither makes zero sense at all