• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aus A in Pakistan

sideshowtim

Banned
Jack, have you seen much of Bollinger? If so, what do you think of him as a left arm quick?
To be honest; He's average. Not sure he's deserving of an 'A' spot but I suppose he has age on his side. He has potential, but he's nothing magnificent. Don't think he'll ever play for any sustained period for the Australian side.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jack, have you seen much of Bollinger? If so, what do you think of him as a left arm quick?
Probably seen as much as the next man. I do know that he's the one guy (outside of Brett Lee, obviously) who the blokes in the NSW squad really don't like to face in the nets.

Strikes me as a guy who doesn't consistently get it all together, but when he does he swings the ball at pace, and gets good bounce. It's just that his radar is off a little at times.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Unless he's improved dramatically, it seems strange that a bowler who averages 44 in First-Class cricket is picked for the A team?. Plus, he's been absolutely mince for Worcestershire this season. Surely Edmondson or Magoffin would have been better options or at least would be closer to the test team. I'd imagine that Bollinger would be some way down in that regard.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Unless he's improved dramatically, it seems strange that a bowler who averages 44 in First-Class cricket is picked for the A team?. Plus, he's been absolutely mince for Worcestershire this season. Surely Edmondson or Magoffin would have been better options or at least would be closer to the test team. I'd imagine that Bollinger would be some way down in that regard.
He's awfully hot and cold but he's a guy who when he does get it right can be as threatening as anybody in Australia, has a very good record bowling to Justin Langer in domestic cricket if I remember correctly, has dismissed him cheaply on several occasions. I see him as a more wayward Mitchell Johnson, both left armers who bowl about the same pace and both can swing the ball and be devestating when they get it right, Johnson just gets it right more often.

As for Gillespie not being there, dont see the point tbh, everybody knows what he offers and how he's travelling, this is an oppurtunity to have a look at guys who havent been exposed to alot of international cricket yet, and in MacGill's case to see if he's still holding together or his numbers for NSW are a fair indication of how he's bowling

Julian87

State Captain
Bollinger is great, much better than Mitchell Johnson and much more threatening than Bracken in the four day game these days imo.

I think Gillespie should be there also, but his indiscretions in England a few years ago mean that he will never really play a part for Australia again I am afraid.

sideshowtim

Banned
Gillespie has a Cricket Australia contract still mate, so he's definitely in the selectors minds.

And Bollinger isn't as good as Johnson for mine...Johnson will improve leaps and bounds...I don't rate Bollinger that much at all.