• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATG prediction thread

Chrish

International Debutant
Predict the players you think would end up as ATGs. My picks in alphabetical:

1) Ravi Ashwin: 600+ wickets with batting average of 25+

2) Kagiso Rabada: 400+ wickets with SR in 40s.

3) Steve Smith: batting average of 52.

Your predictions?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smith will hopefully average no lower than 55

I know everyone has dips in form near the end of their career but 52 would be disappointing for Smith

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashwin is slowing down a bit as of late. As a spinner, he needs at least 500 wickets at around 25 to get into the discussion, I'd think. Still quite some distance away.

Smith seems the most nailed-on at this point, from the current generation.

OverratedSanity

The fab 4 all look pretty likely, but Smith is pretty much nailed on to have great career numbers. Assuming this is the midpoint of his career, if he averages just 40 for his next 90 dismissals, he'll still end with an average of ~50. In all likelihood he'll do better than that.

Chrish

International Debutant
Ashwin I don't believe will end up ATG based on his bowling alone. Reckon he would always have mediocre numbers away from home. But if a bloke takes 600+ wickets and averages close to 30 with the bat, he has to be labeled as ATG, no?

morgieb

The way Kohli is going I'll be surprised if he doesn't finish his career as the ODI GOAT.

Daemon

Quite reluctant to make such bold predictions for bowlers, especially quicks, but at the very least Rabada should get into that just below ATG tier with the likes of Jimmy Anderson

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What if he turns out to be a flash in the pan(dya)? Well, all the jokes will have been worth it.

srbhkshk

International Captain
My thoughts -

Kohli - Already an ATG in limited overs, will end with 50+ average in tests but will probably fall just short of an ATG status, will be in direct competition with Sachin as the best ever Indian batsman by the time he retires and with Dhoni/Ganguly as the best ever Captain.

Smith - Assured of being an ATG in tests, will be a good to great player in LOIs but not an ATG, okayish captain.

Root - ATG in both tests and limited overs, but inferior to Kohli in ODIs and Smith in tests. This Ashes will say a lot about his captaincy.

Williamson - Would stay in the shadow of above three, "Is Williamson an ATG?" to be the most popular cricket thread in 2050.

Ashwin - Would not be an ATG if he fails again overseas, needs at least 2-3 match winning performances outside SC.

QDK - Would be over-hyped for all of his career, people would be disappointed once he finishes with great numbers which they expected to be even greater.

Warner - I think he is starting to turn a corner in SC, will end up as an a second tier ATG opener, but not an ATG batsman.

Starc - Waqar Younis - v2.

Hazlewood - Macgrath - v2.

Broad - Inferior to Jawagal Srinath. :ph34r:

Bairstow - I rate him higher than QDK.

Stokes - Would get punched in a bar in Australia by Joe Root once they are 3-0 down while Dave Warner sits on the side, sips his drink and smiles, would punch him back breaking off three of his teeth and would be thrown out of the team forever. People will wonder what could have been.

Hardik - ATG first name, average bowler , good batsman, probably an ATG in limited overs.

Moeen Ali - England will miss him when he is gone.

Ajhar Ali - ?????????????? Why are people not naming him???????????

OverratedSanity

My thoughts -

Kohli - Already an ATG in limited overs, will end with 50+ average in tests but will probably fall just short of an ATG status, will be in direct competition with Sachin as the best ever Indian batsman by the time he retires
In tests? I hope so but I don't see him reaching those heights.

Chrish

International Debutant
Kohli, Root and Williamson all will fall short of ATG status. Kohli will end up somewhat like KP; unfulfilled potential. Root's back issues will keep getting worse with age and thus his issues with conversion will persist. Ken won't play enough games at his peak.

Also expect Smith's average to take a dive once hand-eye deteriorates. He will have a similar career graph as Ponting but perhaps slightly better.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tests

Smith
Rabada
Hazlewood(probably)

I think Root, Williamson, Kohli,Ashwin, Starc and Stokes will all end as greats but not ATG's.

Odis:

de Villiers
Kohli
Starc