• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashton Agar

slippy888

International Captain
Just seen this man bowl a match winning spell against a capable South Africa batting lineup is he back to his best now

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Why don't eat more goat in the West? Only tried it once.......very unrated meat imo.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why don't eat more goat in the West? Only tried it once.......very unrated meat imo.
Lamb/ beef are less likely to escape the farm and produce more meat.

Kangaroo is the underrated meat. Sous vide it and it's the most flavorful meat which is melt in your mouth. Woolies have a herb and garlic marinated variant which sous vides so beautifully I feed it to virtually all my guests. One of the true delicacies.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Sous Vide is something I'd like to get into. Do you sear it after the sous vide?

I've heard great things about good quality steak done in the sous vide until just before rare, and then onto raging hot coals to sear it to your desired doneness. I think the same method would work well with Roo yes?

stephen

I only have a cheap sous vide cooker but it does the job.

4+ h at 56 degrees will thoroughly cook red meat at medium rare. Then I sear for 10-15 seconds a side in a hot cast iron fry pan to give it the brown surface (which is called the malyard reaction and makes the meat surface taste nicer and makes the meat look nice).

For kangaroo you may want to go a degree or two lower, but never any higher. Be careful to never let the temp get below 50C as that's when bacteria can grow.

I bag my meat in Ziploc bags that are bpa free and heat resistant (which is most now) by immersing in water to get the air out. It's very important that there is no air touching the meat as it is an insulator which means bacteria can grow on the meat. It's easier to manage with a tiny bit of oil or a marinade.

The best meats are flavorful meats with fat content. Kangaroo doesn't have fat but a good marinade makes it nice. Avoid rump steak which doesn't do well (it's too lean). I've found that the cheap blade steaks do really nicely because they have a bit of fat and I can buy a pack of 4 for like $12 from woolies. I'd love to try a marbled beef since I'm sure it would taste amazing. But the blade steaks are going to beat anything <$35 from a restaurant even without a marinade.

cnerd123

likes this
Ate a lot of good goat meat on my recent trip to India. Also had the brains, kidneys, livers and testicles. It's all delicious, but then again, anything cooked Indian style would be.

Definitely going to make my way down to Australia someday to try Kangaroo.

Never tried a sous vide steak, but hear good things about this method too.

stephen

Ate a lot of good goat meat on my recent trip to India. Also had the brains, kidneys, livers and testicles. It's all delicious, but then again, anything cooked Indian style would be.

Well if you make it to Brisbane look me up and I'll cook you one. Could do you sous vide kangaroo which is something you won't find in many places around the world.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I've absolutely hated kangaroo every time I've tried it. Dry, stringy, no flavour/fat, all sinew and muscle. I'd like to try your method, so when ***** is coming, let me know and I'll fly up too.

stephen

I've absolutely hated kangaroo every time I've tried it. Dry, stringy, no flavour/fat, all sinew and muscle. I'd like to try your method, so when ***** is coming, let me know and I'll fly up too.
Heh, sure thing.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

You aren’t welcome here. Come by boat.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Kangaroo must be cooked no more than medium rare or it's ****ed. If you're a steak well done person then Roo or any other game meat is probably not for you.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lamb/ beef are less likely to escape the farm and produce more meat.

Kangaroo is the underrated meat. Sous vide it and it's the most flavorful meat which is melt in your mouth. Woolies have a herb and garlic marinated variant which sous vides so beautifully I feed it to virtually all my guests. One of the true delicacies.
I made a chili con carne with diced kangaroo meat recently. It was a bee's knees tbh.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

Those parts are tasty in my motherland too. Considering cooking wise we are the Englishmen of Africa...

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Kangaroo must be cooked no more than medium rare or it's ****ed. If you're a steak well done person then Roo or any other game meat is probably not for you.
Definitely not a steak well done guy, medium rare.

I've had it a few ways, medium rare on the BBQ mostly. Just find it really un-enjoyable compared to beef or lamb cooked that way.

Something like this might be ok:

https://www.food.com/recipe/kangaroo-casserole-235964