• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashoka DeSilva Fails umpiring test

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mind your language: Imagine turning up for an exam and finding that the questions are in a language you don't comprehend. How scary is that? It's exactly what happened to several Sri Lankan first-class umpires when they sat for a competitive examination to determine the top three umpires nominated for the ICC's international panel. The examination was conducted in English and not in Sinhalese, which is the common language, and several umpires walked out in protest. Out of 28 candidates, only five passed and one of the high profile failures was Asoka de Silva, who serves on the ICC international panel.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/296783.html

-------------

It kinda shows how ICC appoints its umpires. Ashoka is one of the worst umpires in the world and I am not surprised that he failed the test. It is so stupid that he is still on the ICC's international panel list.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If they are to be recommended to the ICC for international matches, and not the SL domestic competition, it would make sense for the Test to be in English, right?

If the examination was only for the domestic competition, then I can understand the umpires being unhappy. But in order to officiate in international matches, surely a solid command of English is absolutely necessary.

Nishant

International 12th Man
If they are to be recommended to the ICC for international matches, and not the SL domestic competition, it would make sense for the Test to be in English, right?

If the examination was only for the domestic competition, then I can understand the umpires being unhappy. But in order to officiate in international matches, surely a solid command of English is absolutely necessary.
definitely...these umpires would be working all over the world..in matches invovlving many nations that have one language in common...english! Hence, the umpires should be able to speak and understand english well TBH..i think its quite fair!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah, and don't they have to fill out reports after a match, as well as talk to the match referees, as well as their other umpires, in English?

It should be a prerequisite, surely?...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mind your language: Imagine turning up for an exam and finding that the questions are in a language you don't comprehend. How scary is that? It's exactly what happened to several Sri Lankan first-class umpires when they sat for a competitive examination to determine the top three umpires nominated for the ICC's international panel. The examination was conducted in English and not in Sinhalese, which is the common language, and several umpires walked out in protest. Out of 28 candidates, only five passed and one of the high profile failures was Asoka de Silva, who serves on the ICC international panel.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/296783.html

-------------

It kinda shows how ICC appoints its umpires. Ashoka is one of the worst umpires in the world and I am not surprised that he failed the test. It is so stupid that he is still on the ICC's international panel list.
I'm worse, TBH, and I bet ss is too.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The issue was they weren't informed prior to taking the test it was going to be in English. Most of the guys who took the test can speck and write in English pretty well. Its just explaining indepth laws or whatever in English and the terminology in English. If they were told prior to taking the test its was in English they could have gone over specific words meant in English and express different things in English, interms of how they apply to different rules.

These umpiring test are not easy and if they not in langauge your 100% proficient with your going to struggle to pass. This is just from what my mates have told me about taking the NSW umpiring test, let alone an International one.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm pretty sure it was deliberate, not a typo. Is a CW joke as old as the hills, that-'un.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Then he should have said "on the international circuit", saying "in the World" was decidedly inaccurate.

Oh, yeah, and sorry for missing you off the list, Akhil.
If you want to increase your post count, find some better way rather than posting 34000+ pieces of Bull****.