• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are England really favourites for CT17?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Time for English fans to go back to 'Test cricket is the only cricket. ODIs don't matter.' mode. Thanks for playing.
In my defense I basically would have reiterated this one wek before the CT had started and England were still ''odds on favourites''. Couldn't give a monkeys about limited overs cricket compared to tests.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In my defense I basically would have reiterated this one wek before the CT had started and England were still ''odds on favourites''. Couldn't give a monkeys about limited overs cricket compared to tests.
At what point were they odds on? Never. They were favourites in a closely run book ahead of Australia. So maybe the question should've been whether Australia should've been second favourites....

S.Kennedy

At what point were they odds on? Never. They were favourites in a closely run book ahead of Australia. So maybe the question should've been whether Australia should've been second favourites....
Can I expect an apology from you? I was right and you were wrong - man up.

S.Kennedy

No you weren't.
Yes I was. I've been adamant that England's one-day side were over hyped nonsense from the beginning. Pakistan win by 8 wickets says I was correct. Further, the ex-player tv fraternity had them with their hand on the trophy months before the competition had even started!! Even just yesterday, there were a series of Vaughan articles in one of the newspapers demonstrating how superior England are over Pakistan.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yes I was. I've been adamant that England's one-day side were over hyped nonsense from the beginning. Pakistan win by 8 wickets says I was correct. Further, the ex-player tv fraternity had them with their hand on the trophy months before the competition had even started!! Even just yesterday, there were a series of Vaughan articles in one of the newspapers demonstrating how superior England are over Pakistan.
Which they are tbf

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a short tournament, where one bad day can lead to elimination.

Any team can have a bad day and lose, so it doesn't all of a sudden mean that the losing team's no longer a good team.

England still the best ODI team in most conditions!

This was just ONE game.

S.Kennedy

This is a short tournament, where one bad day can lead to elimination.

Any team can have a bad day and lose, so it doesn't all of a sudden mean that the losing team's no longer a good team.

England still the best ODI team in most conditions!

This was just ONE game.
I agree with the general tenure of your argument but do not agree with your assessment of England I'm afraid.

Athlai

Not Terrible
England are possibly the best ODI team in their conditions, wouldn't say they're the best in any other conditions. Still very good though.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I don’t really get the ‘any team can have a bad day’ arguments. Knockout tournaments like this are about not having bad days or – when you’re not playing to our optimum level – finding a way to tough it out and win when it counts.

A good example is Australia in the 2003 World Cup. In at least 3 of their early matches they were in big trouble yet players (often unexpected ones) lifted their games and pulled the side through.

Really surprised that England weren’t capable of that. In fact, the longer the match went the worse they played. And judging by Morgan’s post-match comments, they seemed to get ahead of themselves as to how good they actually are.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't see any meltdown?

I just see a couple of members being dickish to the English ones. Although TBF the behaviour is consistent with their general posting

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Time for English fans to go back to 'Test cricket is the only cricket. ODIs don't matter.' mode. Thanks for playing.
This is still premature. England's ODI team is definitely in the right direction. They have 1 gear in their batting and for most part it will work. The problem is, Pakistan is the least hyped, talked about and seen cricket team in recent times who play a very different and unusual brand of cricket. You cannot anticipate a team will still play like it's 94 and reach the finals and prepare for that.

England's batting 1st scores in last 20 matches

The 153 pitch had some early lateral movement, and the 211 pitch was just a tad slower, but no major swing or anything.

Last edited: