• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Anyone but Little England"

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not everyone must like the English.....

What do you mean, 'justified'? It's simply his personal preference. The things that he quotes are true (monkey noses with black footballers, lots of racism still around).

And the condensation on part of the commentators and the 'cricket elite' is very true. How often did the subcontinent teams tour England? I don't think England could stomach the little colored people from the former colonies beating them at home. On the flip side, there was little the subcontinent teams would have liked more than to beat the snot out of the people at the Long Room at Lord's.

On the other hand, I like the English teams and harbor no ill feelings toward them, even though I am Indian.

I haven't personally experienced anything that would lead me to have any bad feelings towards them, so I enjoy Flintoff & Co. immensly.

Pakistan was "a good place to send your mother-in-law".

-Botham

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A bit of a 'meh' article. But one thing he's right about is that Marshall and Holding's superiority when compared to other great fast bowlers who never bothered to tour the sub-continent, or just sucked when bowling there.

The odd thing is, and I'm not going to make it into a racism argument here, he's tried to paint Australia as a jolly land where no racism exists whereas England is the opposite, and so Australia holding the Ashes for so long was heaven for those who were victims of discrimination. Umm, what?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
But one thing he's right about is that Marshall and Holding's superiority when compared to other great fast bowlers who never bothered to tour the sub-continent, or just sucked when bowling there.
Does the same apply to Murali and Australia? ;)

adharcric

International Coach
Jono said:
The odd thing is, and I'm not going to make it into a racism argument here, he's tried to paint Australia as a jolly land where no racism exists whereas England is the opposite, and so Australia holding the Ashes for so long was heaven for those who were victims of discrimination. Umm, what?
Well I guess Australia also fits the "supposed inferiors rebelling against the almighty England" bill, so that's why an enemy's enemy becomes a friend .. or something like that. I personally don't have any of this anti-English feeling possibly because this sentiment has melted away through the generations, while the anti-Pakistani sentiment is always boiling.:)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Does the same apply to Murali and Australia? ;)
Pretty much. :p

There's no doubt that his lack of test success will be a blip on his career. Except in the Murali/Warne case, there is only two all-time greats who can be argued with one another. Yet with all the fast bowlers from the 70s and 80s, there are plenty of them who were very very good or great. So then everything has to be taken into account when judging who is better. Success in all conditions (sub-continent included) is one way of breaking them up, and Marshall and Holding trump Lillee in that case.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
silentstriker said:
Not everyone must like the English.....

What do you mean, 'justified'? It's simply his personal preference. The things that he quotes are true (monkey noses with black footballers, lots of racism still around).

And the condensation on part of the commentators and the 'cricket elite' is very true. How often did the subcontinent teams tour England? I don't think England could stomach the little colored people from the former colonies beating them at home. On the flip side, there was little the subcontinent teams would have liked more than to beat the snot out of the people at the Long Room at Lord's.

On the other hand, I like the English teams and harbor no ill feelings toward them, even though I am Indian.

I haven't personally experienced anything that would lead me to have any bad feelings towards them, so I enjoy Flintoff & Co. immensly.
Oh no i'm not saying everyone should like the English, not at all and i do know about the racism that went on at grounds in the 70's and 80's (simon hughes in his book describes how a yorkshire crowd often heckled Wayne Daniel).

Well after 1976 we regularly got stuffed by the west indians so i think we got used to losing against members of the commonwealth quickly

And yes some of the Test Match Special people could be guilty of condensation at times but it wasn't like they set out to do that on purpose, yes it was offensive but it wasn't meant to be?

Sorry it justs sounds like he's had a massive chip on his shoulder that he just refuses to see past.

I mean he talks about the insomnia-curing Chris Tavaré but forgets that he could play brilliant strokes when he wanted to but limited his play at test level to survive much like Bill Lawry who he of course fails to mention. It's just that for everytime he mentions a Botham he forgets a Bob Taylor or a Geoff Miller and that's a totally unfair portrayal IMO.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
lots of racism still around
I don't think some dirty little chavs picking on the asian bloke who owns the newsagents counts as "lots" of racism, and that's the only stuff I've come across.

silentstriker said:
I don't think England could stomach the little colored people from the former colonies beating them at home.
If that was the case, no one would have toured England in the 1990's.

Swervy

International Captain
steds said:
I don't think some dirty little chavs picking on the asian bloke who owns the newsagents counts as "lots" of racism, and that's the only stuff I've come across..
You must live in the right part of the country then, try coming to Keighley, I have genuinely failed to meet a single white person in this town who isnt racist

I do however think the article was a tad bizarre....my instant feeling was 'what would the reaction have been if the story was of a Brit saying similar things about the Indian cricket team"....in fact the article would never have been printed

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
You must live in the right part of the country then, try coming to Keighley, I have genuinely failed to meet a single white person in this town who isnt racist
That's Yorkshire, though. You lot don't count. :p

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
A bit of a 'meh' article. But one thing he's right about is that Marshall and Holding's superiority when compared to other great fast bowlers who never bothered to tour the sub-continent, or just sucked when bowling there.

Umm, no. He detests Eng and doesnt judge Aus at all.

Scaly piscine

social said:
Umm, no. He detests Eng and doesnt judge Aus at all.
Australia have shown they're more racially intolerant than England nowadays, yet that idiot who wrote the article would much rather have Australia beat England.

Dileep Premachandran is a racist in that article and the sad thing is racism only seems to matter one way these days - it should matter regardless of who perpetrates on whoever.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia have shown they're more racially intolerant than England nowadays,
Vast generalisation. Not denying Australia has racist people resident here or saying whether you're wrong or right but I'm interested in how you know. Not by the press, surely....... Because I know *I* could never make such a statement with any credibility even if I'd travelled extensively to both countries.

And of course, you've been here too, right?

social

Scaly piscine said:
Australia have shown they're more racially intolerant than England nowadaysQUOTE]

Oh please!

You sure your not C-C's long lost cousin in Eng's north-east.

Travel outside your county before making statements such as this!

Scaly piscine

So I suppose all the racist abuse SA and SL were subjected to was just a figment of my imagination. Compare this with the number of racial incidents in England games over the past few years - there are hardly any.