• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another one has left the sinking ship

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
Andy Blignaut come on down under!!!
~~~~~~~

TASMANIA has signed up sacked Zimbabwe cricketer Andy Blignaut for the next three seasons.

Blignaut, 25, becomes the second of the 15 white rebel players stood down by the Zimbabwe Cricket Union to head to Australia, following fellow all-rounder Sean Irvine's move to Perth.

Blignaut is seen as an ideal substitute in the Tasmanian team for Australian one-day allrounder Shane Watson who has moved back home to Queensland.

His arrival brings to four the number of Zimbabweans in Australian cricket with batsman Murray Goodwin joining Western Australia several seasons ago and former captain Andy Flower playing for South Australia.

Rich2001

International Captain
Linda said:
Perhaps they are aiming for one rebel in each state...
That's a fair point, who would have guessed 6 months ago that the strongest cricket nation and with the best domestic set up in the world with so many top players comming through would be so keen to sign players from the worst (or 2nd worst) teams in the world.

Is there anymore players heading that way? I am pretty surprised that no intreste has been shown in Streak yet... or has he said he doesn't want to play?

PY

International Coach
I think I'm right in saying that New South Wales have expressed some interest in Streak? Seem to remember Andre mentioning something like that. :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Linda said:
Perhaps they are aiming for one rebel in each state...
Except of course NSW, where the side is the 2nd best in the World after the Australian National team so no Zimbabwean would get close to it. ;)

Oli Norwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Seems like a better deal for Blignaut than Tasmania, I mean he hardly set the world alight in test cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
Well this a great signing by Tasmania. I have a real gut feelign that somebody like Mark Vermuelen will end up at South Australia, even though he is still in there team.

Waughney

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Except of course NSW, where the side is the 2nd best in the World after the Australian National team so no Zimbabwean would get close to it. ;)
You'd be suprised at the oppurtunities being created in the NSW team at the moment, with the Waugh twins retiring, Katich going away on tours more often, an uncertain future for Bevan and Slater and with a couple of injuries who knows, you might find a Zimbabwean in there.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Well, Bevan has gone to Tasmania for 2 years. So apart from Michael Clarke and Katich, there are a lot of spots up for grabs.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Sorry age, but I think it is fair to say that NSW are not going to be a strong team this summer... lol.

P.S. Just read that Ervine signed his contract yesterday for WA. Two years I believe.

Last edited: