• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another one! Asian XI vs. ROW XI - Twenty20 fundraiser match

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can anyone be bothered to see how many countries will have players available for that game - outside of Australia, Bangladesh and England?

Anyway inevitably here are my ROW XI & Asian XI, the ones in bold are the ones that were in my original overall World XI from a few months ago (change Malik for Rafique if you count that he can't bowl).

Gibbs
Gayle
Strauss
Lara
Flintoff
Symonds
Gilchrist
Cairns
Vettori
Harmison
McGrath

Jayasuriya
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Sangakkara
Shoaib Malik
Abdul Razzaq
Shahid Afridi
Vaas
Shoaib Akhtar
Kumble
Murali

C_C

International Captain
what is strauss doing in the 20/20 format ? i would think Ricardo Powell is more suitable than Strauss...he is the west indies version of afridi.

Scaly piscine

Should be fairly obvious, he's a very good batsman, he can play all the shots AND hits the gaps and is a very good fielder. Look at his effortless 50 against Australia in the Champions Trophy - faster than a run-a-ball.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
Should be fairly obvious, he's a very good batsman, he can play all the shots AND hits the gaps and is a very good fielder. Look at his effortless 50 against Australia in the Champions Trophy - faster than a run-a-ball.
haha what a joke... strauss should not even get a look in at the 20/20 format.... if your reasoning is "he can play all the shots" why cant Ponting, Astle, or others get in?

bryce

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
should be fairly obvious, scaly piscine sees through a set of english eyes

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
Gayle
Strauss
Lara
Flintoff
Symonds
Gilchrist
Cairns
Vettori
Harmison
McGrath
[/B]
You gotta pop dimi Mascarenhas in there. The guy owns at 20/20. That he doesn't get in the england ODI is irrelevant.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say Gilchrist should open the ROW side with Gayle, with Ponting instead of Stauss at 3 and probably someone like Powell or Clarke at 7.

Scaly piscine

benchmark00 said:
haha what a joke... strauss should not even get a look in at the 20/20 format.... if your reasoning is "he can play all the shots" why cant Ponting, Astle, or others get in?
Astle!!!!!!!!

Fleming shows him up on a regular basis. He also takes too long to do anything and seems to spend all that time hitting fielders and playing and missing.

Scaly piscine

twctopcat said:
You gotta pop dimi Mascarenhas in there. The guy owns at 20/20. That he doesn't get in the england ODI is irrelevant.
I dunno, it seems like these bits and pieces players don't really work in internationals. The way Harvey and Hogg have done *really* well in English domestic Twenty20 but they're not nearly as effective in internationals.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
I dunno, it seems like these bits and pieces players don't really work in internationals. The way Harvey and Hogg have done *really* well in English domestic Twenty20 but they're not nearly as effective in internationals.
But there haven't been many international twenty20's to compare to though, so until there has been we just don't know.

Scaly piscine

I meant in ODIs, I don't see them being any more effective in international Twenty20 because there are just so few of their type around that bowl effectively.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
Astle!!!!!!!!

Fleming shows him up on a regular basis. He also takes too long to do anything and seems to spend all that time hitting fielders and playing and missing.
And Strauss doesn't play and miss?! I've never seen a batsman survive more plays and misses than Strauss in his first test series against NZ. It happened soo often I was pulling my hair out !!

You can't underestimate Astle in onedayers. Just look at his ODI record. 14 ODI centuries (from memory)

Scaly piscine

His record is nothing special really and considering he's an opener his strike-rate is pretty poor - just look at Trescothick's ODI record. I can't remember what he's like as a fielder but I'd assume Astle isn't as good as Strauss.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
His record is nothing special really and considering he's an opener his strike-rate is pretty poor - just look at Trescothick's ODI record. I can't remember what he's like as a fielder but I'd assume Astle isn't as good as Strauss.

Astle can bowl (use to be able to anyway) and is no slow poke in the field.

M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St

Batting & Fielding 188 184 11 6030 145* 34.85 72.72 14 35 72 0

that doesn't seem to bad to me (ODI stats) His SR is alright as he is a slow starter but once he gets going he can play some great strokes. Not taking anything away from Strauss.

Last edited: