• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Annoyed at cricinfo article

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/245921.html

Martin Williamson talks about "Dangerous Games" and commemorates the most brutal body blows struck by bowlers to batsmen. Herein lies the grevience:

There is no mention of Mr. Akhtar bowling to one Gary Kirsten, while Kirsten tries to defend the speedy short pitched ball, he completely misses and the ball goes through the helmet and its blood everywhere on the grass. The entire left half of poor Mr. Kirsten's face was of literally 8 different colors.

I suppose he was talking about striking lethal blows to batsmen, but nothing above that. 8-)

as a side note, I beileve it was the first test in 2003 @ faisalabad.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I actually quite enjoyed it. Any list of this type is going to be subjective with the occasional omission.

Sometimes the devil really is in the detail tho, I winced when I read that Malcolm Marshall "later discovered shards of Gatting's nose embedded in the leather" after he'd help Gatt perfect his panda impression!

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BoyBrumby said:
I actually quite enjoyed it. Any list of this type is going to be subjective with the occasional omission.

Sometimes the devil really is in the detail tho, I winced when I read that Malcolm Marshall "later discovered shards of Gatting's nose embedded in the leather" after he'd help Gatt perfect his panda impression!
Some said that Gatting could smell defeat.

The above is possibly the worst thing that's ever been posted on CW.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
He'd just gone for a Rana, so he needed to Shakoor the dirt out.
That was all a terrible misunderstanding - Shakoor Rana mistook Gatting for a German philosopher.

Immanuel Kant, I think.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
andyc said:
Kirsten's knock looks pretty nasty from that video.
A broken eye-socket is horrible, and the pain lasts for months. It's not as if you can put it in a splint....

hey, maybe that's what a 'squint' is.

Anyway, the point is, I've had one. I once listed my catalogue of broken bones and how I'd achieved them on here - some make me wince now.

My broken eye-socket was (naturally) drink-related. A pal of mine had been sacked so we went down the wine bar (yes, I know - class traitor, me) to drown his sorrows. 3 of us, 8 bottles of wine (a very nice session). Cooky asked me if I wanted another glass - I turned round and he rammed the neck of the bottle (accidentally, he claims) into my eye.

The blue/purple/yellow/black bruising was a badge I wore for months with pride - a tribute to a fine 1976 St Emilion.