• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anil Kumble tribute thread

pup11

International Coach
Anil Kumble India' champion leg-spinner and arguably India' biggest match-winner pulls the plug on his international career, he has announced his retirement from test cricket after the 3rd test of the current India-Australia series, just a bit of shame that a champion like him had to go on such a low note, but all the best to him for the rest of his life at whatever he does, he has been one of the most competitive and underrated cricketers i have ever seen and he would surely be missed.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Saw that coming, and will be missed forever. Champion of a player for India for years now.

masterblaster

International Captain
I'd like to say what I said in the Kumble retirement thread.

Kumble was my favourite Indian player while growing up and I loved watching him bowl. He was such an important part of my childhood growing up and was an inspiration to all young cricketers and cricket fans.

A true legend and one of the toughest cricketers to ever play the game. I can never forget the match where he broke his jaw only to come out and spin India to victory against the West Indies. His toughness was on show yesterday where with a badly injured hand he ran and caught the ball of his own bowling.

In addition to his toughness, he was one of the most dignified, respected and nicest blokes you could ever meet. I feel honoured to have met him and talked to him on a couple of occassions. I certainly hope he continues with cricket either in the media or in a coaching or administrative role.

Farewell, Anil. Cricket is going to be poorer without you.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He won more games for India than all of the batsmen combined. India's almost-invincibility at home during the nineties despite being walkovers overseas was due in large part to one man, and that was Kumble. He is my favorite Indian player, well played mate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can never forget the match where he broke his jaw only to come out and spin India to victory against the West Indies.
TBF, that game was actually a foregone draw, of the usual ARG nature. Still a damn fine effort to come out and bowl, but it was actually in a game that had long since lost any meaning.

If anything that actually shows more commitment to the task, really. Coming out to bowl with a broken-jaw when a game's up for grabs would almost be expected of someone; to do it just because you feel it's your duty is pretty aussome stuff.

And yeah, could someone merge the two Kumble threads?

ret

International Debutant
the best Indian bowler and the biggest match-winner for India in tests .... it can't get better than that

wishing Kumble all the best for his future endeavors :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
For all the hardworking years, and having less glamour that certain other spinners, its easy to forget that when he hit the scene he was a 'mystery' spinner.

It took a few years for people to start to work him out. Presently he is often seen as the model and steady pro but he really was an exotic creature when he first played.

Opposition batsmen and coaches had fits. Was he a leg-spinner or a medium pacer? If he was a leg spinner then how come he couldnt be played as a traditional leg spinner would.

I believe the England camp came to the conclusion that he should be played as if a medium pace inswing bowler and hope one didnt turn.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I believe the England camp came to the conlusion that he should be played as if a medium pace inswing bowler and hope one didnt turn.
Graham Gooch's theory that, I think. His opening partner Michael Atherton certainly talked about it at length after his career was over. Gooch himself then mentioned, in 2005/06, how the thing would no longer work as Kumble had now developed a Leg-Break that, on helpful surfaces, really turned plenty.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Well, what can I say? He is a great player, and deserves all the credit he receives. He is a excellent bowler, and has served India so well. It would have been nice to see him get a couple more wickets this series, and I think it is very non-selfish of him to retire with a game to go. He obviously knew his time was up, and needed to call it quits as soon as possible, to allow India to find it's replacement/s (although that is probably already sorted with Mishra and Singh).

:(

I don't remember an Indian cricket team without Kumble.
This one.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I find it a remarkable coincidence that Kumble leaves having played almost exactly the same number of tests as Kapil with the exact same bowling average upto one decimal place. India's best bowler ever without a doubt. Players in recent times engaging in public demonstrations of aggression could learn a lot from the man who knew to positively channellise aggression like none other. A fighter to the core. His legend will only grow with the passage of time as people realise his true worth.

Champion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes. He said that he can't remember one, so I showed him a team from only over a week ago.
What he actually meant was that he couldn't remember a time when an India Test was being played where either Kumble was playing or the team were waiting for him to return to the team. Now, for the first time since 1992/93, neither of the above will be the case.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yes. He said that he can't remember one, so I showed him a team from only over a week ago.
He was still in the team - in fact, he was on the balcony taking pictures as per usual. Besides, that really wasn't Jono's point.

As for me, I derived some inspiration from Kumble - I'm a leggie who goes through patches of being able to turn the ball prodigiously then a couple of months later, I'll be bowling near-nudes.

When I'm in form, I find Kumble's speed and action works beautifully for me - in fact, my best season saw me take 25 wickets in about eight games when I had the rhythm going...

He's an inspiration for all young spinners out there - regardless of ability - and I don't think I was more pleased for anyone making a debut test century than when Kumble brought his up in England.