• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Angelo Mathews vs Ross Taylor

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Rossco had a weird career where for the first half he was a massive uphill skier who couldn't minnow bash to save himself and then transitioned into a guy with a much higher average but who was far more vulnerable to quality bowling.

He took over being our senior batsman with a **** top order in his 6th test match at Lords. Debut him as a 24 year old in 2015 and that 24-30 year old career patch is monstrously good rather than just solid imo.

edit - basically this: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/thr...end-of-21-22-summer.85616/page-3#post-4714888
It's still hard to believe that Taylor managed hundreds in India and SL against in 2012 and the UAE in 2014, when you see how feeble how became in Asia post 2015 (averaging 18 over 10 tests). I wonder if it was partly down to the wild success he started having in ODI's, and bad habits leaking into his test game.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Rossco had a weird career where for the first half he was a massive uphill skier who couldn't minnow bash to save himself and then transitioned into a guy with a much higher average but who was far more vulnerable to quality bowling.

He took over being our senior batsman with a **** top order in his 6th test match at Lords. Debut him as a 24 year old in 2015 and that 24-30 year old career patch is monstrously good rather than just solid imo.

edit - basically this: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/thr...end-of-21-22-summer.85616/page-3#post-4714888
I was going to say something like this but you've already said it - excellent uphill skiier for the first half of his career, who became much worse in difficult conditions but better at HTBing against lesser attacks in later years. KW a little similar sadly (though there's still hope).

I think Taylor was somewhat successful against all opposition early because he relied on his eye and reflexes to attack and took a chancy approach, which can work against anyone. Then mid-career his game became more controlled and lower-risk, which was how he built a fantastic ODI record, but struggled to defend against top class bowling and spin in particular. Very-late career that wasn't working for him in test cricket any more so he went back to trying to smear the ball everywhere... which also didn't really work.

Anyway, ? Rossco

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Angelo Matthews is excellent too, makes batting look easy and I do have a tendency to believe Athlai's comment that perhaps Matthews should have done even better than his very good career numbers of 7000 runs @ 45.
Mathews should be far better but I don't think he ever realised his potential. Ross did.