• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Roberts vs Courtney Walsh

Who was the greater test bowler?

• Andy Roberts

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Courtney Walsh

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I think that's probably right tbh. Sort of the godfather of the 80s & 90s generation of quicks. Walsh also a gun though, obviously

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think there is a set number. It really just comes down to which player you prefer, and depending on the outcome of that question you'll either say longevity is really important, or say it doesn't really matter.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
At what numbers skills overtakes longevity in player comparisons

Is 200 wickets and 5k runs the cut off point?
I would say this is a good cut off to say that players (in modern era) have passed the longevity cutoff test, but doing it incrementally is even more difficult. Hence players like Walsh who have done it, pass the test even more.

Though not to be taken literally (as it depends on variety of conditions and challenges each player goes through), I would say somewhere along the lines of the below.

200@24 ~ 300@24.5 ~ 400@24.8 ~ 500@25.0 ~ 600@25.1

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Roberts. Yeah Walsh actually probably was slightly more effective (or at least consistent), but I'd rather watch Roberts over almost any other bowler.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Their numbers seem similar but Roberts strikes me as a better bowler than his numbers reflect while Walsh was pretty much as good as his numbers show. Lillee and Gavaskar rate Roberts as the best of their era.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Those of us who were around at the time remember the impact of Roberts as he was the first of that generation of WI quicks, which means that he made more of an impression. By the time Walsh came along, he was just another very good WI quick bowler and we'd seen quite a few by then. Now that isn't an entirely objective way to decide these things, but these things rarely are. I read somewhere that Roberts was never quite the same after being over-bowled in WSC, but I don't know how accurate that is.

As an aside, does anyone fancy comparing Wes Hall to the later generation of WI quicks?

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Eh I voted for Roberts, purely cos he’s got a much better rate of five-fers (I know, partially because he began his career with meh bowlers, but still). Comparing 2 bowlers with similar stats, I’d personally prefer the one who’s more likely to run through a team.

shortpitched713

International Captain
As an aside, does anyone fancy comparing Wes Hall to the later generation of WI quicks?
I would love if someone could do that. I've seen the footage of Hall, and he looks an absolute gun. To me absolutely fits in with the best from the heyday of West Indies pace quartets. Not sure if any old folks remember him, or what the contemporaneous journalists wrote about him.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
roberts certainly more destructive than walsh...had the most fearsome, effective bouncers you could hope to see in a fast bowler...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
roberts certainly more destructive than walsh...had the most fearsome, effective bouncers you could hope to see in a fast bowler...
He varied the speed of his bouncers didn't he? The first one was a relatively slow sighter, which a good batsman could help on its way. The second one much faster, often resulting in the batman being helped on his way back to the changing room.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He varied the speed of his bouncers didn't he? The first one was a relatively slow sighter, which a good batsman could help on its way. The second one much faster, often resulting in the batman being helped on his way back to the changing room.
yep, he used the two-tiered bouncer approach to very good effect...

BazBall21

International Regular
Tend to lean to Roberts in this comparison but Walsh certainly has a decent case.
Rate the Wes Hall love a bit further up in the chat. I think he was the first of the great West Indian fast bowlers but Roberts was the first in the professional era when fast bowling really took off.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would love if someone could do that. I've seen the footage of Hall, and he looks an absolute gun. To me absolutely fits in with the best from the heyday of West Indies pace quartets. Not sure if any old folks remember him, or what the contemporaneous journalists wrote about him.
Hall is an interesting figure. Tremendous looking bowler. Beautiful action, obviously very quick, good swing bowler too. Yet his reputation perhaps oversells his effectiveness, albeit with the caveat that sixties pitches sucked. He averaged over 30 in the 1960s and was basically done as an effective bowler at only 29.
I personally think he could have done significantly better if you transplanted him into the seventies and eighties, but hard not to conclude his reputation is a little bit bigger than what his results show.