• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Johns Playing 20/20

ripper868

International Coach
I'm just wondering what everyones opinions are on joey playing two 20/20 games for the blues are. These aren't charity games as far as i know and are worth points. It's obviously a publicity stunt but i beleive it to be one of the stupidiest in a looong time. i mean, it potentially robs an up and coming under 20 with some potential to get some state experience. Anyway best luck to him against the redbacks and tigers, i thinks hes gonna need it aginst the likes of tait.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
I think it shows how far Twenty20 still has to go to become a serious game worldwide.
Exactly my sentiments.

I'm a NSW supporter and I really wouldn't care at all if NSW came last. I'm looking forward to seeing Johns in action just quietly. Will be funny seeing him have a cricinfo profile page too. :p

Stumped

Banned
ripper868 said:
I'm just wondering what everyones opinions are on joey playing two 20/20 games for the blues are. These aren't charity games as far as i know and are worth points. It's obviously a publicity stunt but i beleive it to be one of the stupidiest in a looong time. i mean, it potentially robs an up and coming under 20 with some potential to get some state experience. Anyway best luck to him against the redbacks and tigers, i thinks hes gonna need it aginst the likes of tait.
i totatly agree,

his brother matt is going as reg reagan, i hope he gets a duck the :censored: hes gonna cop from reg if he does!....that would be hilarous

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I hope he gets hit when batting. Purely because his brother played for Wigan. Then I hope he gets hit again for all those times he played in Australia sides that beat GB. Then I hope he gets hit again, just for the sake of it. Then I hope he scores some runs, because I quite like him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Couldn't care less, and sums up 20/20 cricket. But I hope he faces some chin music.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I remember reading this earlier in the year and I actually thought it was a joke. I can't believe its actually happening. When 20-20 started in England we had gimmicks like pop gropus, jacquzzis, speed-dating and one of the players (Neil Carter of Warwickshire) used one of the matches to try and find a gf (don't know if he had any succsess) but we never had anything like this (a UK equivalent would be say, Wayne Rooney playing for Lancashire - which would horrify Alex Fergeson). I just hope that (a) he can field and (b) if he bats he avoids Gillespie or Tait because I'm sure they won't be able to resist bouncing him. Does he play cricket at any level? It just seems to me Australia is full of stupid ideas just now. PS - I feel sorry for the guy whose place in the team he's taking - thats the unfair part because he's taking a place off someone who DESERVES it more. PPS - but I wouldn't mind Maria Sharapova playing - Tait could whack her on the head and do the whole world a favour!!:laugh: :laugh:

Legga

Banned
I hope Tait and Gillespie put the fool in hospital for a small duration.
20/20 is a joke format.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Poker Boy said:
I remember reading this earlier in the year and I actually thought it was a joke. I can't believe its actually happening. When 20-20 started in England we had gimmicks like pop gropus, jacquzzis, speed-dating and one of the players (Neil Carter of Warwickshire) used one of the matches to try and find a gf (don't know if he had any succsess) but we never had anything like this (a UK equivalent would be say, Wayne Rooney playing for Lancashire - which would horrify Alex Fergeson). I just hope that (a) he can field and (b) if he bats he avoids Gillespie or Tait because I'm sure they won't be able to resist bouncing him. Does he play cricket at any level? It just seems to me Australia is full of stupid ideas just now. PS - I feel sorry for the guy whose place in the team he's taking - thats the unfair part because he's taking a place off someone who DESERVES it more. PPS - but I wouldn't mind Maria Sharapova playing - Tait could whack her on the head and do the whole world a favour!!:laugh: :laugh:
To be perfectly honest, the stuff you just mentioned (speed-dating and finding a gf) sounds far more ridiculous.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
To be perfectly honest, the stuff you just mentioned (speed-dating and finding a gf) sounds far more ridiculous.
I don't think so, because it wasn't compromising the cricket like the Australians are. It should be noted that those gimmicks were in 20-20s early years here - they don't occur now and it still gets the crowds in. Still good luck to him - he might need it!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
My question is "Who the hell is Andrew Johns, and why is this amusing?"
Andrew Johns is a famous rugby league player from New South Wales. Widely regarded as the best player in the world at his sport. He's going to have a hit for NSW in the domestic Twenty20 comp.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
My question is "Who the hell is Andrew Johns, and why is this amusing?"
Best rugby league player in the world. And because he's scared of a little red ball when his day job involves running at monsters like Willie Mason and Adrian Morley.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
silentstriker said:
Rugby, isn't that the sport where guys hump other guys in the dirt in order to get the ball or something?
In a nutshell: no. Joey plays Rugby League where each team has alternate sets of six tackles in which they attempt to score a try or concede possession to the opposition if they are unsuccessful. Imagine a heterosexual version of American Football without the constant stoppages or the fancy dress. Union (the other Rugby code) contests possession at tackles with "rucks" forming, which to your uneducated eye might look like an attempt to hump other guys in the dirt.

I remember reading somewhere Joey plays something like 5th Grade cricket, which I understand to be a not overly high standard.