• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An Australian XI That Never played Tests

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure if this, or something similar, has been posted before but I'll have a shot at picking a good side of players who never played Tests. I'm starting with an Australian XI but, hopefully, we can look at other cricketing nations later.

Here is my XI

M.Di Venuto 24,518 FC runs @ 46.4
J.Cox 18,614 @ 42.7
J.Siddons 11,587 @ 44.9
D.Hussey 14,280 @ 50.5
M.Klinger 11,320 @ 39.3
S.Trimble 10,282 @ 41.8
D.Berry w/k 603 dismissals
D.Tazelaar 287 wickets @ 28.2
W.Holdsworth 212w @ 32.7
E.Gilbert 87w @ 28.9
D.Hourne 164 w @ 28.7

12th man D.Hill 7894 runs @ 40.1

The bowling department might lack a little depth though there are some interesting inclusions.

Eddie Gilbert, in one match against the touring West Indian team, took 5/65. Despite his success, it is unlikely that he was ever seriously considered for the Australian Test team due to doubts about his action and his Aboriginality. Don Bradman describes the five balls he faced from Gilbert in 1931 when he dismissed him for a duck as "The fastest he had experienced in his career."
Alan McGilvray said he had "absolutely no doubt" that Gilbert was "the fastest bowler I ever saw" and that "no matter how I analyse cricket down the years, I cannot imagine anybody bowling a ball faster than Eddie Gilbert". Of the legality of Gilbert's action, McGilvray commented, "It was hard to tell whether he actually chucked or not, because he let the ball go with such a fling of his right arm you got precious little sight of it."

David Hourne couldn't make the Australian Test side despite the spin stocks being depleted during the Packer era. Bruce Yardley, Jim Higgs, Tony Mann and Peter Sleep were all selected ahead of him. Perhaps it was his batting and fielding that counted against him. Ian Chappell wrote in a 1977 article that Hourn and fellow spinner Jim Higgs "in my opinion neither of them are real cricketers. By that I mean they are only bowlers, not cricketers. They are both well below standard as fieldsmen and batsmen."

Have I missed anyone?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Although probably not borne out by specular stats there was a very promising bowler named Wayne Prior in the mid 70's who was reckoned to be next in line as a top class fast bowler. Probably a lot of "what might have been" involved in putting him in an all time uncapped XI.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another SA quick who I was always thought looked quite slippery was Mark Harrity.
And yet he averaged 40. It says a lot about the standard of Aussie batting at the time that a lot of Aussie bowlers who had quite a bit to work with ended up with quite ordinary career records.

(in fairness him bowling on the AO every second match couldn't have helped)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
And yet he averaged 40. It says a lot about the standard of Aussie batting at the time that a lot of Aussie bowlers who had quite a bit to work with ended up with quite ordinary career records.

(in fairness him bowling on the AO every second match couldn't have helped)
It mustn't have been easy back on the Adelaide Oval back in those days. Though to be fair my impression of him was formed watching Mercantile Mutual cup matches back in the day, and his record in LOIs is fairly decent.

morgieb

I think Seccombe and Hartley might've been better than Berry. They were on similar wavelengths as keepers but were better bats IMO.

Yeah Noffke and Cameron could make it. Another bowling all-rounder I rated highly was Luke Butterworth, though his career tumbled hard once Hobart stopped being so green.....

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Seccombe and Hartley might've been better than Berry. They were on similar wavelengths as keepers but were better bats IMO.
I gave thought to both but was probably influenced by the glowing comments made by other cricketers of his (Berry's) era. Shane Warne even listed Berry in his Greatest 100 that he played with or against.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Seccombe was an absolute gun. For a while there the two best keepers in Australia were of Queensland breed.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ryan Campbell was very decent IIRC. Just, you know, not as good as the bloke in front of him for both state and country...

Certainly would get a gig these days.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would have been awesome if Eddie Gilbert had gotten to play a few tests. Could have been our Larwood in Bodyline. man that would have changed history a bit. He's awesome to read about.

If only...

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Would have been awesome if Eddie Gilbert had gotten to play a few tests. Could have been our Larwood in Bodyline. man that would have changed history a bit. He's awesome to read about.

If only...
The White Australia policy ended Gilbert's Test career before it began.

TheJediBrah

Another SA quick who I was always thought looked quite slippery was Mark Harrity.
Yeah good bowler. Was gonna post his name. Tall, left arm, fast and mean.
Continuing this theme I'd go with Matthew Inness. Stalwart opening quick in the shield for years, and certainly better than Mark Harrity.

Yeah Noffke and Cameron could make it. Another bowling all-rounder I rated highly was Luke Butterworth, though his career tumbled hard once Hobart stopped being so green.....
I can only judge by the opinions of players around that time but Berry's keeping was talked about almost in hushed tones he was supposed to be that good. One thign I do remember was that he would keep up to the stumps to almost anyone. Not sure where Seccombe and Hartley rate in comparison but neither would have kept much up to the stumps I would have thought.

On the topic of Hartley though, very unlucky not to play Tests. Retired at exactly the wrong time and I'm pretty sure if he stuck it out he could have been the Test keeper rather than Wade or Nevill or whoever it was. In his last Shield season he seemed to figure out how to bat too, nearly had Bradman-like stats with the willow. Unfortunate that he lost the will for cricket at the time when he might have finally got a chance at the next level.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
david hussey is really one of those guys you’d expect to have played a test somewhere along the line, in relief or as a flyer

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
In "Figures on the Green" (1982), Derek Lodge names an England XI and a RoW XI (which is largely Australian, due he admits partly to his greater knowledge of Australian cricket, partly due to its strength in depth).

The Aussies in the team are: Sam Trimble, Bill Alley, Cecil Thompson, Keith Carmody, Frank Tarrant, Stan Sismey, Jack Walsh and Jack Massie. (Various others get a mention, including Cec Pepper and Eddie Gilbert).