• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ambrose vs. Lillee in Tests. Who was better?

Ambrose vs. Lillee in Tests

• Curtley Ambrose

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Dennis Lillee

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I can't decide. Bugger it!

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not the subcontinent crap again8-)
It's not crap, it's simple fact. Lillee does not have performance in the subcontinent to his name. Other bowlers do. This does not mean Lillee was incapable of performing in the subcontinent, but the fact remains nonetheless that he didn't.

And no, the subcontinent (or West Indies) cannot be equated to Australia in any way shape or form, regardless of that fact that some similarities exist.

archie mac

International Coach
Plenty of people did have doubts, though, and they were mostly those who looked beyond the image and at the actual output. There were people who could bowl slightly better than Lillee, in several ways, just not people who could convey the image so well in combination with excellent bowling.
Give me one name of a contemporary who did not rate Lillee the best or near enough to it?

So 355 wickets was all for show, and no Bangas or Zims to help the ave

archie mac

International Coach
It's not crap, it's simple fact. Lillee does not have performance in the subcontinent to his name. Other bowlers do. This does not mean Lillee was incapable of performing in the subcontinent, but the fact remains nonetheless that he didn't.

And no, the subcontinent (or West Indies) cannot be equated to Australia in any way shape or form, regardless of that fact that some similarities exist.
He went to Pakistan for one 3 Test series so on that basis he could not bowl8-)

One Test in SL at the end of his career and a serious back injury in the Windies.

I am not having this conversation again, because you never give any ground (although tbf neither do I):wacko:

adharcric

International Coach
He went to Pakistan for one 3 Test series so on that basis he could not bowl8-)

One Test in SL at the end of his career and a serious back injury in the Windies.

I am not having this conversation again, because you never give any ground (although tbf neither do I):wacko:
Bottom line: Lillee is unproven in the subcontinent. That should be held against him in comparisons to bowlers who have done everything he has and are proven in the subcontinent.

archie mac

International Coach
Bottom line: Lillee is unproven in the subcontinent. That should be held against him in comparisons to bowlers who have done everything he has and are proven in the subcontinent.
I just don't agree, on that logic Ponting is behind every batsman that performed better in the Subcontinent and did well in Aust. VVS Laxman for example. Murali must also been well behind Shane Warne because he was no good in Aust and about the same in India8-)

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Lillee performed in far more difficult circumstances.
Overcame back injury, played in WSC cricket, greater opposition (WIndies) and heralded an era in Aus Cricket.
Amby had it comparatively easier, coming after a bunch of fasties paved the way for him (Roberts, Holding, Croft, Garner...)

Even after retirement, Lillee stayed involved with his art.
And Amby...well, he joined the reggae group Dread and the Baldhead with Richie Rich :laugh:

archie mac

International Coach
No, but he is behind every batsman with a similar record who DID perform everywhere he did AND India.
He played 3 Tests in Pakistan???

Ponting still rates as a great to me, I could not care whether he scored a ton in India or not, so if Bradman would have played 3 Tests in India and failed we would wipe him? A load of crap this argument, I watched him and he was a great bowler end of story

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He played 3 Tests in Pakistan???

Ponting still rates as a great to me, I could not care whether he scored a ton in India or not, so if Bradman would have played 3 Tests in India and failed we would wipe him?
Yes, if someone else had a 99.94 average and scored everywhere and wasn't crap in India....he would be better than Bradman...

JBH001

International Regular
Haha! Well said SS.

Enough with the Lillee love already...that guy is a little overrated.

(though I do think he was better than Amby)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I seem to be losing this argument:wacko:

I take words such as overated to mean he is not considered a great bowler, but hey that is just me8-)
Nah, if people rate Lara better than Bradman, I could say Lara is overrated, but that doesn't mean he wasn't great compared to everyone else. At least, thats how I use the term overrated.

JBH001

International Regular
Maybe a little overrated...by some, is a more accurate description.

Last edited: