• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amazon "The Test" documentary

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am up to the 2nd last episode and have enjoyed it a lot so far. Lyon tearing up presenting Head with his cap, the look on Paine's face when asked if Edgbaston was the most intimidating ground in the world, the whole coffee-making hoo haa Zampa goes through, Steve Smith singing along with whatever was going on outside when he was waiting to resume his innings in the 1st Ashes Test, and Paine talking about how you can be standing up one end watching Steve Smith in awe of how good he is, and then 10 seconds later be on strike thinking "Jesus Christ this is hard" were some of the many highlights.

Last edited:

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
I'm three episodes in, so halfway through the India series. Hard to disagree with much of what's been said. JL is a strange guy. I think he wants to be a heart on his sleeve, you play for the baggy green kind of coach, but his motivational talk is pure nonsense. Paine is far, far better at this stuff and comes out of it pretty well. One of the things I noted about JL was when Finch was given out caught apparently off the glove/pad and Finch didn't review because he didn't know what it hit and didn't want to waste a review. Finch is a guy at the start of his Test career where the coach has thrown him a hospital pass by batting him at the top of the order. Langer just walks in, barely says anything and storms out. No attempt to support Finch. Is there any guarantee that would've been overturned?

Langer meditates and talks about the PVO club, but I reckon it's a daunting dressing room to play in as a newbie. The coaches are all legends, none of whom are 'good cops' and it feels like as a newbie you're out of the frying pan and into the fire. Then there's all the bull**** marketing stuff; elite mateship and the rudimentary Excel and PowerPoint presentations. Obviously things will get juicier as the India series goes on and then onto England.

And remember, it's not abuse it's BANTER (e.g. it's all talk and leopards don't change their spots).

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
The other thing that made me laugh was when they were discussing Kohli and they had his stats in a PowerPoint but the profile pic was about ten years old, when he was a slightly chubby 20yo!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Much of the criticism of langer here is way OTT. Everyone is a product of their own experiences and formative years. He was a scrapper and a bloke who had to bust his arse to get into and stay in the side. To me he comes across as someone who’s completely fixated on the job they have, be it coaching or whatever, because that’s how he had to be to make it. Its not contrived, it’s single mindedness

Agree he would be a hard task master to play for, not given to sugar coating stuff. But he knows the game backwards and he’s taken a team which was a shell back to the point where they kept the Ashes away and have rebuilt to the point where they are ultra competitive again.

I was of the view he was putting on that Waugh era culture bull****, but he wasn’t. He means it.

People here are just too enamoured by the Pillow because he yapped up a couple of times. Whoop de do. Just score runs when it counts, ****

Last edited:

vcs

Yeah Australia have been good under Langer after they got the banned guys back and went back to full strength. The Ashes performance was terrific and they haven't put a foot wrong since then either. It's hard to know how much of an impact coaches actually have - India have generally been good under Shastri yet most people can't stand him.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
This documentary is top notch. Don't get me wrong.

But I just watched the Sky Sports UK doco about the World Cup - Through Their Eyes.

The English team just come across as way better than the Aussies generally come off in the The Test - with the exception of Usman, Paine, Cummins, Stoinis, Zampa and Marsh. The rest are even dicks to Marnus and he is obviously the team punching bag.

The documentary is supposed to change the public perception of the Australian cricket team but I don't know if it has.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

But I just watched the Sky Sports UK doco about the World Cup - Through Their Eyes.

The English team just come across as way better than the Aussies generally come off in the The Test - with the exception of Usman, Paine, Cummins, Stoinis, Zampa and Marsh. The rest are even dicks to Marnus and he is obviously the team punching bag.

The documentary is supposed to change the public perception of the Australian cricket team but I don't know if it has.
These documentaries can portray a team as anything the editor wants. Sky Sports aren't going to produce a documentary rubbishing the England team. I don't know what the purpose of the Amazon documentary is. I might have to re-subscribe and watch it.

Burgey

Curious take tstl

TheJediBrah

These documentaries can portray a team as anything the editor wants. Sky Sports aren't going to produce a documentary rubbishing the England team. I don't know what the purpose of the Amazon documentary is. I might have to re-subscribe and watch it.
lol this

The English team come across better in a Sky Sports UK doco about the World Cup? wow shocking

Burgey

Quite astonishing England has played in four WC finals and never won one. I know SA get bagged as chokers, but that's a Tendulkar-like record in matches which count.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Was missing live sport so much when lockdown started, I gave this a go. Couldn't get into the whole "sympathetic take on the Australian cricket team" aspect of it. I respect the heck out of them as cricketers, but will never like them.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Quite astonishing England has played in four WC finals and never won one. I know SA get bagged as chokers, but that's a Tendulkar-like record in matches which count.
Haha this is such a glorious trolling effort. If I was an English fan, I don't think I'd be too perturbed. I'd just mention the fact that on the day of the final, my side lifted the trophy then I went on a week-long bender to celebrate (this is theoretical of course, because I went on a week-long despair bender).

TheJediBrah

Haha this is such a glorious trolling effort. If I was an English fan, I don't think I'd be too perturbed. I'd just mention the fact that on the day of the final, my side lifted the trophy then I went on a week-long bender to celebrate (this is theoretical of course, because I went on a week-long despair bender).
Is it really a "trolling effort" though? just a statement of fact

thecricketstory

Cricket Spectator
Really enjoyed "The Test". The Australian reaction to the Headingley defeat was pure gold; no way that was scripted or rehearsed in advance. Personally, it also changed my perception of Nathan Lyon. Seems like a decent bloke, really committed to the cause.

TheJediBrah

Really enjoyed "The Test". The Australian reaction to the Headingley defeat was pure gold; no way that was scripted or rehearsed in advance. Personally, it also changed my perception of Nathan Lyon. Seems like a decent bloke, really committed to the cause.
Now I know the show is bull****