• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alright here it is. CW chooses the best ever keeper. 32 men duke it out

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
JBMac has made his thoughts on keepers known in other threads, perhaps the ATG arguing/discussing thread.

From memory he rated Wally Grout very highly as a pure keeper.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the ATG thread IIRC, he rated Tallon as the best pure 'keeper ever, selecting him over Healy and Grout in his all time XI.

I'm wondering what he thinks of Healy vs Knott specifically.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
He rates Tallon above Grout as a keeper in this thread, also praising Evans, Engineer and John MacLean (presumably the Aussie keeper of the 70s rather than the Worcestershire keeper of the 20s).

Edit: you're right, he picked Tallon in his XI of players he'd seen.

Last edited:

trundler

Interesting to see Hall, Ponting, and Hayden in that XI but hey I am no one to dispute JBMAC :notworthy

trundler

I think Hall and Trueman get a bit overlooked because of the era they played in. Slow-scoring and generally unexciting era and before fast bowling really took off and dominated the sport in the 70s and 80s. Ponting I feel gets underrated here because he ended on a low. #3 in my 2nd XI. No comment on Hayden.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is there anyone who has watched a fair amount of Healy and Knott who feels one has a definite edge as a pure keeper?
I never thought I'd see a better 'keeper than Alan Knott, until James Foster came along - have never understood why he isn't more highly rated

trundler

I never thought I'd see a better 'keeper than Alan Knott, until James Foster came along - have never understood why he isn't more highly rated
Our Messiah hatch come. Knott purely as a 'keeper? How would you compare him to Healy?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
As annoying as he was during & after his playing career, Heals was a pretty outstanding keeper.

Last edited: