• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alphabet draft - the first letter of your XIs first/last names need to be 22 unique -

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
-letters. So you couldnt have Andy Flower and Wasim Akram.

I'm not sure if this idea has been done but it should be fun. Itl be a tricky draft, no doubt. We'll go with the cricinfo profile header/presentation of their name, much like the name draft that was done last year. So Jack Russell and Hansie Cronje will be going by those names, not their real first names.

Also, someone like AB De Villiers will be A for his first name and D for his second. I'm sure there are some more odd examples but common sense should hopefully prevail.

22 out of 26 letters at most will be needed to be used. This means that your last player picked will have only 6 letters to form the first letters of his first and last name. However, there is a neat little cheat option to give yourself more letter options for later in the draft or get out of a tight jam at the end... Alliteration names.

Gary Gilmour would only take up the one letter, G in your XI meaning you'd only need to use 21 letters max, giving a bit of breathing room. No limit on how many of these players you pick. I'm sure there will be a bit of a premium put on alliteration names so itl add a cool extra element to the draft.

Itl be a test draft to allow for maximum options. And no requirement that they actually played a test, so you could draft Clive Rice or whoever to allow for maximum flexibility.

No Bradman, 12 hour picks, looking for 10-12 players

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
If you pick Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas, I suspect you won't be able to complete your XI.

mr_mister

Welcome aboard.

Let's begin. Ill keep it open to join til the end of round 1.

Round 1:

AndrewB:
Mr Prez:
trundler:
Red Hill:
morgieb:
Test_Fan_Only:
Teuton:
mr_mister:
ankitj:

Itl be 16 hours per pick for the first 3 picks. Then 8 hours onwards. I don't know why I wrote 12 in the OP, ignore that

And remember, we're going by what their cricinfo header says. So Bills and Bobs cannot be played as Williams and Roberts if they were better known as Bill and Bob

And were gonna ignore any 'Sirs', 'Lords' or what have you. No titles. Lastly, if the player is known by just one name on their cricinfo profile like Cher, the same system applies as it does if they had an alliteration first and last name.

Hopefully that covers any loopholes I know you sneaky fellas like to use

Last edited:

mr_mister

Round 1:

AndrewB: Imran Khan
Mr Prez: Muttiah Muralitharan
trundler: Garfield Sobers
Red Hill:
morgieb:
Test_Fan_Only:
Teuton: