• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ALPHA CRICKET BLOKES!!!! ff

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Chris Gayle has always struck me as a very insecure, try-hard, fake alpha. But is that actually different from an "alpha" anyway?
This is a wonderful post. I looked at the thread title and thought 'I hope no one said Chris Gayle'. Is Chris Gayle an alpha male? Probably in some eyes of society. But he's the antithesis of cool. Early days Warne never tried to be cool in my opinion, he just was (he's the biggest try hard on the face of the earth now). Maybe Gayle started out that way, but it all moved into look at me territory real quick. No thanks.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sledging Richards backfired on me, Akram reveals
Can you guess what happened when Wasim Akram, the "Sultan of Swing" sledged "King" Viv Richards during a Test match?
By K.R.Nayar, Senior ReporterPublished: 22:58 January 20, 2009
Dubai: Can you guess what happened when Wasim Akram, the "Sultan of Swing" sledged "King" Viv Richards during a Test match?
Akram narrated the incident during the recent Shyam Bhatia awards for UAE's outstanding performers in domestic cricket.
"I was only nineteen when I played in the 1988 Barbados Test match during the tour of West Indies. It was in this Test match that I realised I've got the pace to disturb the batsmen," he said.
"When only 45 minutes were left to go for close of play, Richards came out to bat. My skipper Imran Khan gave me the ball and asked me to have a go.
"I bowled a bouncer at Richards and his cap fell while avoiding it. I went up to him and abused him. I was very skinny at that time and he looked at me and said: 'I will see [you] out man.'"
Akram immediately went to Imran Khan and related the incident.
"Imran told me to go ahead and scare &. him. So I bowled another bouncer and his cap fell again and so I went up to him and with a lot of action, provoked him.
"Richards looked at me and spat to the side with contempt. That was a time when there were no match referees nor close up television," he said.
Khan asked Akram to bowl the last over of the day.
"I bowled a bouncer again and then returned to the dressing room. While removing my shoes, the room attendant said that someone is waiting for me outside the dressing room.
"When I went out, I saw Richards in only his pad and no shirt and with a bat in hand. I ran to Imran and told him about it, but he quietly said: 'it is better you handle him.' I was shocked and so I went and told Richards very politely that I am sorry for what happened & and [that] it won't happen again.
"Richards looked at me and said: "If it happens next time, I will kill you.
"It never happened again," said Akram.
Lol.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Some seem to be under the impression that alpha = cool. Or in some way inherently a good thing.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Some seem to be under the impression that alpha = cool. Or in some way inherently a good thing.
Honest question, what does it mean?

You can't be an alpha male if someone bounces you and you want to go fisticuffs afterwards. Especially when your team mates have made a legacy out of it.

Kirkut

International Regular
Beta and alpha lie on the extreme ends of the toxic passive-aggressive spectrum, one likes to dominate the other likes to get dominated, balance is the way.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sachin got stitches on the field as a 16 year old after being felled by a Waqar bouncer IN Pakistan and then carried on batting and made a 50. Boon's smile can **** off. :p

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Couldn't handle good fast bowling so tried to start a fight after the game?

Viv also confirmed non-alpha.
Ah. Wouldn't be Thiery Henry without slating of Viv, though I agree not that big to take on a 19 year old,but pretty sure he could handle fast bowling.

indiaholic

International Captain
Doesn't matter. If your retort to getting bounced out is to challenge them to a fight, then you are pretty ****ing weak. Hook them for a six, tell him to go and fetch it. Seemed to work against county attacks :p

indiaholic

International Captain
The sledging was prompted by his inability to handle Wasim's pace. Proving that you are more comfortable with MMA is not an answer.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The sledging was prompted by his inability to handle Wasim's pace. Proving that you are more comfortable with MMA is not an answer.
I dont see it that way. Wasim didn't say anything about sledging him about his inability to handle that ball. He says he "abused" him. That is the way to respond if someone wants to abuse you AFAIC, irrespective of cricket skills.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Burgey a good shout, or a little long in the tooth these days & susceptible to a younger Alpha's attack? That's the real question.