• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alltime Australia XI

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
i would be interested to know what the posters here would post as the alltime XIs country-wise...i'll get the ball rolling and start with the first nation alphabetically.

Here is my Alltime AUS XI:

Bill Lawrey
Bob Simpson(capt)
Don Bradman
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Keith Miller
Adam Gillchrist(wkt)
Ray Lindwall
Shane Warne
Denis Lillee
Glenn McGrath
Barnes
Ponsford
Bradman
Harvey
Greg Chappell
Miller
Davidson
Oldfield
Lindwall
Lillee
Orielly

Davidson to lend variety to the attack. His 186 test wickets came at just over 20 runs each. Plus he could bat and was a superb fielder.

Unfortunately, all the great spinners were leg spinners. Leaving out Warne, Grimmett is no joke but someone has to be left out. I was tempted to include two legspinners but opted for variety.

Monty Noble was a possibility with his off spin and competent batting. But...

Its never a perfect jb. Next time I make one, I will probably chose a couple of different players, a McCabe for example and the one and only Trumper. But then thats what chosing an all time side is all about. Who are we to tell who was better over a hundred years. Its just a relaxing pastime and a charming way to express your love for the game.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Arthur Morris
Matt Hayden
Don Bradman (c)
Greg Chappell
Steve Waugh
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist (vc)
Bill O'Reilly
Dennis Lillee
Shane Warne
Glen McGrath

12th man: Alan Davidson

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Australia All-Time XI:

1. Charlie Macartney
2. Victor Trumper
3. Don Bradman (duh)
4. Greg Chappell
5. Allan Border (captain)
6. Adam Gilchrist (keeper)
7. Keith Miller
8. Ray Lindwall
9. Shane Warne
10. Bill O'Reilly
11. Dennis Lillee

tadeusz

State 12th Man
Aussie Test XI:
Trumper
Ponsford
Bradman
Harvey
Border
Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Turner
Lillee
McGrath
12th Spofforth

ODI XI
M Waugh
Gilly
Ponting
Jones
S Waugh
G Chappell
Bevan
Fleming
McDermott
Warne
McGrath

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
PS: Dont agree with Headley as opener...he never really opened and played in the 30s/40s....And Worrell vs Kanhai is a toughie...Kanhai was most definately a superior batsman but Worrell brought the captiancy skill to the equation....
As per Garner...i dont contest his inclusion too much....just that i would think that a quality spinner(and Gibbs was arguably the best off spinner before Murali came along) would make the team overall better.....the WI already have the best depth ever in pace bowling..

CC I thought you were a stats man...how can Kanhai have been a superior batsman when his average is lower!!!!!

However Kanhai was indeed a great, but quite overlooked batsman. He played for my old cricket team as a pro when I was a kid,and was a class above,even at the age of 49 or something he broke alsorts of records,and that aint in some crappy league either

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
Alltime WI XI:

Conrad.Hunte
Desmond.Haynes
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Rohan Kanhai *
Gary Sobers
J.Dujon+
M.Marshall