• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allegations against Shami

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have no idea,but his wife has made comments saying she's willing to reconcile with Shami if he'd return her calls, which given her allegations is... odd tstl.

Not willing to make judgements on his character before the facts come out because it's just a strange situation all round.
Wouldn't be the first time false rape/assault claims are used for personal gain. They seem to be almost as common as genuine rape/assaults these days.

Then again if it's true, that's pretty ****ed up.

cnerd123

likes this
The ''sport of gentlemen''.
Tbf that wasn't even true back in the days when this phrase was coined

Cricket has always been the game for hustler, conmen, stats nerd, pseudo-tough guys and man-children. Men like Dravid are the exception.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Tbf that wasn't even true back in the days when this phrase was coined

Cricket has always been the game for hustler, conmen, stats nerd, pseudo-tough guys and man-children. Men like Dravid are the exception.
The comparative would be with other sports tbf.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't be the first time false rape/assault claims are used for personal gain. They seem to be almost as common as genuine rape/assaults these days.

Then again if it's true, that's pretty ****ed up.
I disagree with that statement, vehementally... it is clearly shown that the vast majority of these cases are genuine, just very difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, he said she said, particularly when it is a husband and wife scenario. Most of these things never get reported at all.

Also it is a big leap and very difficult thing to do, to actually make charges at a police station. Majority of the time the woman do get a lot of public criticism and motives questioned, particularly when it is somebody famous.

Why would the wife want to reconcile with someone that tried to kill her? 樂
It is very common for woman to want to reconcile with an abusive partner, even dropping charges in cases that are easily proven. Should not break this down to a binary idea but realise there is a great deal of emotional manipulation, uncertainty etc.

I have some 2nd hand knowledge of this due to my partners past history, and I can say that more often than not the accuser gets more problems initially than the accused.... only once it is clearly decided and proven, normally in court, does the accused get any sort of real adversity. Nobody wants to believe that somebody they know, are friends with, and/or are admire is capable of such things and normally try explain behaviour away.

In no way am I saying he is or is not guilty, what I am saying is that whenever these cases come up everybody starts questioning the accusers motives... if you are unsure or have doubts the best thing is just not to say anything and see how it plays out.

TheJediBrah

I disagree with that statement, vehementally... it is clearly shown that the vast majority of these cases are genuine, just very difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, he said she said, particularly when it is a husband and wife scenario. Most of these things never get reported at all.

Also it is a big leap and very difficult thing to do, to actually make charges at a police station. Majority of the time the woman do get a lot of public criticism and motives questioned, particularly when it is somebody famous.
I said they seem to be almost as common. And I may have been exaggerating. And as you said, when it all comes down to the "he said, she said" it can be impossible to determine fully what actually happened. Nobody knows how many innocent men are rotting in prison because a judge or jury sided with an evil woman.

I'm sure the reverse can also be true, that there are guilty men walking free due to insufficient evidence or victims unwilling to come forward, but it is well documented that the law in Western countries generally heavily favours the victims in these scenarios, to the extent that accused or found guilty with very little evidence based solely on being accused.

Also a false accusation can destroy someone's reputation and livelihood, even if they're found innocent, whether they're famous or not. IMO a false rape accusation should be punished as harshly as what the accused would have gotten were they found guilty. I know the reason they don't cop harsher punishment is because they don't want to discourage women who have lied to come forward and admit it, but people get off far too easy.

_Ed_

it is well documented that the law in Western countries generally heavily favours the victims in these scenarios, to the extent that accused or found guilty with very little evidence based solely on being accused.
IMO the opposite is the case.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I said they seem to be almost as common. And I may have been exaggerating. And as you said, when it all comes down to the "he said, she said" it can be impossible to determine fully what actually happened. Nobody knows how many innocent men are rotting in prison because a judge or jury sided with an evil woman.

I'm sure the reverse can also be true, that there are guilty men walking free due to insufficient evidence or victims unwilling to come forward, but it is well documented that the law in Western countries generally heavily favours the victims in these scenarios, to the extent that accused or found guilty with very little evidence based solely on being accused.

Also a false accusation can destroy someone's reputation and livelihood, even if they're found innocent, whether they're famous or not. IMO a false rape accusation should be punished as harshly as what the accused would have gotten were they found guilty. I know the reason they don't cop harsher punishment is because they don't want to discourage women who have lied to come forward and admit it, but people get off far too easy.
Almost everything in this post is wrong.... most charges that are even brought into a police station are hardly prosecuted, because of how difficult it is to prosecute and the high requirement of evidence. When it comes to prosecution, like almost all criminal cases, there is very few miscarriages of justice. And it is very well documented that for most first world countries that while it has become better at treating woman in these cases, there is still a disproportionate number of people once explained the procedures and evidence required just walk away. So I can almost positively say that the vast majority of these cases more abusers get away scot free than a very few innocent people get convicted.

I agree that innocent people accused of abuse (particularly when it comes to famous people) can get slandered in the press, but as explained few people believe something of their friends (or people they admire) until definitively proven. If you look through the posts on this very topic created, see how many are actually just assuming his guilt and how many are questioning her motives? As for false accusations, I agree if it is definitively proven that a false accusation occured... but I believe that is called perjury and fully punishable under the law.

I am not going to go on about this as it is a very delicate subject for me. You can either disagree with what I am saying or go check that what I am saying is fact for yourself. My only advice is that imo people should just shut up about it and not make any comments for or against either side.

TheJediBrah

I agree if it is definitively proven that a false accusation occured... but I believe that is called perjury and fully punishable under the law.
May be punishable, but not to the extent it should be. There was just recently a case from the US of a man being released after serving 20 years in prison because someone accused him of rape and only just admitted she was lying. While I can't remember exactly what her punishment was, it didn't even involve jail time. This guy's life is gone, and the person who took it is barely even punished. I can see the logic behind it, less women are going to admit to falsifying charges if they're going to be sentenced to decades in jail, but it's not right.

My posts are likely affected by personal bias, obviously I can identify more easily with a man in this scenario than a women who has been raped.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
May be punishable, but not to the extent it should be. There was just recently a case from the US of a man being released after serving 20 years in prison because someone accused him of rape and only just admitted she was lying. While I can't remember exactly what her punishment was, it didn't even involve jail time. This guy's life is gone, and the person who took it is barely even punished. I can see the logic behind it, less women are going to admit to falsifying charges if they're going to be sentenced to decades in jail, but it's not right.

My posts are likely affected by personal bias, obviously I can identify more easily with a man in this scenario than a women who has been raped.
Last comment... I can understand how you feel, if someone accused me of this I don`t know what I would do. But the case you present is the minority and the men getting away with it is vast majority.

SeamUp

International Coach
Glad the BCCI have added him to their contract List.

This sounded like a desperate 'wife' trying to win a losing battle and make a quick buck.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
We will likely never know the truth in such topics. After Sreesanth and other two cricketers, names of bigger players was never revealed.

Kirkut

International Regular
Why would the wife want to reconcile with someone that tried to kill her? ?
bd09123c8a60235a160561f0d415bf706368319f68240917ca76db5ec09497ba.jpg

Just to let you know, she was married when in 10th grade to an older guy before and later divorced him because she wanted to pursue her ambitions. She married Shami thinking that would help her achieve her ambitions.

Btw, Shami is 27 and his wife is 41.

Kirkut

International Regular
Why would an Asian international cricketer marry someone 14 years older? Unless she is a millionaire celebrity herself, this makes no sense..
Well by reading his hilarious whatsapp ***ting and the stuff he does at his stop over in Dubai, it is pretty obvious he has a very high libido. He'll go after anything that looks attractive.

Daemon

Glad the BCCI have added him to their contract List.

This sounded like a desperate 'wife' trying to win a losing battle and make a quick buck.
He was cleared of the fixing charges byy the BCCI. The other case is still open so I think we should reserve our judgement.